Value of: Jakob Chychrun

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Lots of teams inquiring about his availability are going to Chychrun out.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
All three of these defensemen have expiring contracts at the end of this season: Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, and Demers. It's possible that they're all at the end of their careers, much less getting re-signed here. I'd consider only two players on the team untouchable, and they're Chychrun and Conor Garland.

I’ve caught a bit of Coyotes action this season...Garland looks like he’s leveled up something fierce. Would not be surprised if he’s on the Cam Atkinson timeline...late pick to AHL star to surprise NHL regular to star winger. Super high intensity, relentless on the forecheck, great vision...really looks like he could be one of the breakout stars of 20-21. His motor and all-action style give me confidence he’s not simply a smallish offensive winger with inconsistent contributions and complimentary skills. And since few around here pay attention to the Coyotes, he’ll definitely be a secret for a while.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I’ve caught a bit of Coyotes action this season...Garland looks like he’s leveled up something fierce. Would not be surprised if he’s on the Cam Atkinson timeline...late pick to AHL star to surprise NHL regular to star winger. Super high intensity, relentless on the forecheck, great vision...really looks like he could be one of the breakout stars of 20-21. His motor and all-action style give me confidence he’s not simply a smallish offensive winger with inconsistent contributions and complimentary skills. And since few around here pay attention to the Coyotes, he’ll definitely be a secret for a while.
Garland put in the effort in the A to change his game. He was a soft, high skill winger in juniors (I'm told) and after 3 years, became the exciting and invaluable version you see today. If he keeps developing consistency and his scoring touch, we'll have our very own Gallagher.

I could see Coyotes trading Chychrun if we received a clear overpayment. You also see defenseman go through a transition around 25 where their games begin to round out more which will make Chychrun a pretty clear #1/2 across the league. His value and return need to be commensurate of a top 32 defenseman, he's young and on one of the best value contracts in the league too.

Reactions: mouser and BHD

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's been the best player on the ice for either team in all three games this season. It's too early to say, but he very well might end up something really special out of nowhere.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's been the best player on the ice for either team in all three games this season. It's too early to say, but he very well might end up something really special out of nowhere.

He was fairly highly regarded before the draft. I don't really remember why he fell, but I remember hoping the Wild would take him at 15, and being pretty surprised he fell that far. Wasn't he projected top 5 at some point during his draft year?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He was fairly highly regarded before the draft. I don't really remember why he fell, but I remember hoping the Wild would take him at 15, and being pretty surprised he fell that far. Wasn't he projected top 5 at some point during his draft year?
I was talking about Garland. ;)

But yes, Chychrun was viewed as a top 3-5 pick a year, or so, ahead of his draft day. He was a notable faller. The Coyotes had him ranked right behind Clayton Keller, who they selected at #7. There was some debate right at the draft table about who to select. They had Keller ahead, but because Chychrun was a big defenseman and Keller was a little winger, they had to talk through it. So the Coyotes had Chychrun rated no later than 8th overall (assuming they had Keller 7th and not earlier than that).

Chychrun's main criticism in his draft year is the same thing he struggles with today; he tries to do too much. That includes on and off the ice. When he simplifies his game, he's excellent. When he tries to do too much on the ice, he's a roller-coaster. When he focusses on rehab during the summer, he comes ready to go. When he goes full psycho on his training, he injures himself. I think as he gets more established and more comfortable with his place in the league, he'll only get better. I've got high hopes for Chychrun.

He's just a little too intense. A little too much of an animal. He's got to calm down a little, and he'll get even better.

Reactions: YotesFan47 and AKL

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
only a matter of time before he request out. He will want to win at some point.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
A 22 year old 2C with 1C upside on a good contract.

Last edited:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
only a matter of time before he request out. He will want to win at some point.
Why? He loves the area, he's very loyal and is the future captain. He wants to be part of building the future in Arizona.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Coyotes should be building a defense with Chychrun as the cornerstone.
And they are. All of Hjalmarsson, Demers, Goligoski and Oesterle are UFA after this season.

D core moving forward is Chychrun, OEL, (hopefully) Soderstrom and ???

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Would something like this be of interest,

To Toronto-
Chychrun
Garland
1st Round pick

To Arizona-
Rielly
Nylander

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Garland put in the effort in the A to change his game. He was a soft, high skill winger in juniors (I'm told) and after 3 years, became the exciting and invaluable version you see today. If he keeps developing consistency and his scoring touch, we'll have our very own Gallagher.

True. He still hustled, but he would make the skilled play (think Gaudreau or Patrick Kane) instead of taking it to the net. I was pleasantly surprised when I watched his goals from last year. At 24, he's a player - along with Chychrun - that the Coyotes should hold onto.

Reactions: YotesFan47

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Would something like this be of interest,

To Toronto-
Chychrun
Garland
1st Round pick

To Arizona-
Rielly
Nylander
No. Chychrun is our most valuable Dman. Garland is our best forward, he's becoming what we hoped Domi would be. Gritty two way player who can make plays on his own.

And our 2022 1st will be our first, 1st round pick since 2019.

If you threw Hayton in you would have completed the list of untouchables.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad