Player Discussion Jake Virtanen (MOD WARNING POST 755)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
The thing is that it is extremely clear that the Canucks have zero confidence in Jake so why not walk away which is something they should have done and kept Tanev..........
Jake has trade value so we shouldnt just walk away I agree we shouldve signed Tanev, but we couldve done both

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Jake has trade value so we shouldnt just walk away I agree we shouldve signed Tanev, but we couldve done both

Jake's trade value is what these days maybe a 4th or 5th rounder.

Teams do watch how the Canucks relationship with Jake was in the playoffs and aren't going to overpay even if they like him as a player.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Jake's trade value is what these days maybe a 4th or 5th rounder.

Teams do watch how the Canucks relationship with Jake was in the playoffs and aren't going to overpay even if they like him as a player.
I think he gets at least a 2nd, maybe even a late 1st. With his tools, there would be many interested GMs. He's still fairly young and was still developing last season, to the point where he was trusted to play the point on PP2, and move into the top 6 at times.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think he gets at least a 2nd, maybe even a late 1st. With his tools, there would be many interested GMs. He's still fairly young and was still developing last season, to the point where he was trusted to play the point on PP2, and move into the top 6 at times.

Yet Jake is a big fast and (physical , at least could be) built for the playoffs and the Canucks (not the SC winning TB team) had him playing the 10th most TOI of all forwards in the playoffs.

That's not going to bring back a 1st rounder or even a second rounder in the real world.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Not with a potential arbitration award. If he was worth a first they’d have a first already.

I don’t imagine anyone trades for him until the arb case or he extends.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Yet Jake is a big fast and (physical , at least could be) built for the playoffs and the Canucks (not the SC winning TB team) had him playing the 10th most TOI of all forwards in the playoffs.

That's not going to bring back a 1st rounder or even a second rounder in the real world.
I think a 2nd is the minimum, where as a 4th or 5th is not realistic at all.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

If we traded him, the other GM would have to qualify him and go to arbitration, unless they have a long term extension ready. His trade value was exactly nil, which is why we qualified him.

Virtanen, I'm sure, can see that middle tier forwards are getting crushed by the flat cap. No chance the Canucks, or any other team, pays his arbitration award. He clearly filed because he wants out of Vancouver.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
If we traded him, the other GM would have to qualify him and go to arbitration, unless they have a long term extension ready. His trade value was exactly nil, which is why we qualified him.

Virtanen, I'm sure, can see that middle tier forwards are getting crushed by the flat cap. No chance the Canucks, or any other team, pays his arbitration award. He clearly filed because he wants out of Vancouver.

They won't have any choice but to pay his arbitration award.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

He filed because it’s his right and the leverage he has earned and doesn’t mean the team can’t negotiate an extension without it. All the RFA’s elect for arb. They rarely get there.

I don’t think this means he wants to leave Vancouver even minutely.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards

Couldn't disagree more.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Then why isn't Ben Hutton a Canuck? If you walk away from arbitration, they become a UFA, simple as that.

Ben Hutton didn't get a qualifying offer and thus became an unrestricted free agent. Jake Virtanen got a qualifying offer and subsequently filed for arbitration.

Reactions: timw33

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
That he wants out, or that if we had traded him, he would have gone to arbitration? Be specific. Walk-aways are happening all the time. Virtanen's value is low.

Walk-aways from arbitration rulings are rare; a team cannot walk away from an arbitration ruling less than $4.5M.

Canucks did not walk away from an arbitration ruling with Hutton, same as Stecher; they didn't give them qualifying offers so they became unrestricted free agents instead of arbitration-eligible restricted free agents. Virtanen got a qualifying offer which kept his rights with Vancouver and gave him the opportunity to file for arbitration. There is no way he is getting $4.5M+ in arbitration so the Canucks must either negotiate a contract with him prior to the arbitration deadline or accept the arbitrator's decision.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
You don't know hockey. Virtanen is the reason we won game 5 and turned the momentum in the series. Re-watch the game bud, we don't have a player in the bottom 6 that could have done what he did. Step onto the top line and spark them.

He showed up for ONE game. Great.

Pffft... "You don't know hockey". Get off it.

Reactions: Star Ocean

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I like Jake, and I hope he gets his rewarded even if we can't sign him, and have to let him go I wouldn't mind that as long as it makes Benning look like a Pejorative Slur because he doesn't even have enough room to sign Virtanen you know you messed up bad. Whatever outcome I am ok with.

1 he comes back, great.
2 if we can't afford to sign him BECAUSE WE ARE OUT OF CAP ROOM this makes Benning look bad as a manager so yes, this is ok outcome too.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I like Jake, and I hope he gets his rewarded even if we can't sign him, and have to let him go I wouldn't mind that as long as it makes Benning look like a Pejorative Slur because he doesn't even have enough room to sign Virtanen you know you messed up bad. Whatever outcome I am ok with.

1 he comes back, great.
2 if we can't afford to sign him BECAUSE WE ARE OUT OF CAP ROOM this makes Benning look bad as a manager so yes, this is ok outcome too.

I don't think they have a choice unless he gets over 4.5.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He showed up for ONE game. Great.

Pffft... "You don't know hockey". Get off it.
You definitely don’t know hockey because you think Calgary got a steal with the Tanev deal.

Imagine going from Roussel, Gaudette/Sutter to J.T Miller and Pettersson. There’s 3 players to a line just like there is 2 players to a pairing, Virtanen by himself cannot carry play against teams like the Blues/Golden Knights. You gotta take your head out of the box score and watch the 5 man units play.

He sparked the top line in a critical moment. We can’t find a player like him in free agency.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I think because of Virtanen's arbitration the Canucks will still be able to buy out a player. Likely Baertschi or maybe even Sutter. I think Eriksson finally gets bought out next offseason.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Yeah I am not a Jake Virtanen fan in fact I am just about done with him. I think he needs a fresh start in a place like Carolina or Columbus otherwise his career as an NHLer is teetering on the edge.

But his trade value is so low, and he brings juuuuuust enough to the team, that there aren't any better options than to just hold and see.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think because of Virtanen's arbitration the Canucks will still be able to buy out a player. Likely Baertschi or maybe even Sutter. I think Eriksson finally gets bought out next offseason.

If I’m not mistaken, only players earning $4m or more would be eligible to be bought out in the post arbitration buyout window. That narrows the list of candidates to Sutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad