Player Discussion Jake Virtanen (MOD WARNING POST 755)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
If he's still here at the start of camp, hopefully he comes in super motivated and in great shape and forces himself into the top six.

Said I for the third straight year.
If he doesn't, you gotta think he's too comfortable in his home turf and get him outta here.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I fully expect him to show up out of shape. It’s what he’s done every year.
Zero excuse for that. If I can keep myself in race shape when all my races have been cancelled how can a professional athlete put off his traini g when its his livelihood?

But Im also expecting that

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I hope he continues to develop but at the same time, if we could get him on a decent number he's the smartest option considering our cap structure.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
How is his speed "myth" ? He is the fastest skater in the team

His speed could be his greatest asset. It exists. He doesn't seem to realise that he is only fast if his legs are moving. He doesn't race back up ice to provide back-pressure or break-up a defensive 2 on 1 coming from behind the offensive goal-line. He is fast, but if he doesn't use it, is he really? Hansen was fast and utilised that speed to maximum effect. If Jake played like Hansen he would be an unstoppable force in this league. It doesn't take some genius hockey IQ to skate hard. I honestly think his conditioning level could be forcing him to "pick his spots" because he doesn't have a big enough tank to work hard for an entire game.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Jake skates super fast, but he processes the game super slow.

Yep. All tools, no toolbox. Story of Jake.

He's probably the fastest on the team. When he uses it.
He's got one of the best shots on the team. When he uses it.
He's the most physical guy on the team. When he uses it.

I wouldn't mind him on the team for the right number. I expect a small, small improvement from him, but definitely he won't ever "break" out.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
His speed could be his greatest asset. It exists. He doesn't seem to realise that he is only fast if his legs are moving. He doesn't race back up ice to provide back-pressure or break-up a defensive 2 on 1 coming from behind the offensive goal-line. He is fast, but if he doesn't use it, is he really? Hansen was fast and utilised that speed to maximum effect. If Jake played like Hansen he would be an unstoppable force in this league. It doesn't take some genius hockey IQ to skate hard. I honestly think his conditioning level could be forcing him to "pick his spots" because he doesn't have a big enough tank to work hard for an entire game.

JV can flat out fly out there, but it's his hockey IQ holding him back from using that speed to maximum effect like Hansen used to. It's only an advantage if you know how/when to use it.

Reactions: Luckylarry

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
with Toffoli walking, I don’t think the Canucks can afford to lose Virtanen now, despite our local and really horrible hockey media hating on him we really need what he brings. It would be foolish to move Virtanen if we lost Toffoli. Vancouver has the worst hockey media guys in the world, it’s pretty embarrassing especially given how huge hockey is in Van, not sure why people listen to them or follow them.

What is it that he brings that we cant do without?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
jake's agent stands up at the arbitration and says "josh anderson and max domi" and sits down.

I mean Max Domi has actually had some really productive seasons, cresting 70 points on a pretty offensively inept Habs team just one season ago and mostly living around 50 points.

But Anderson, with a career high of 47 points, living at around 18 goals 30ish points, and coming off reconstructive shoulder surgery....hooo boy.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Game 5 against the Blues is enough reason to retain Virtanen. We were basically out of that game until Green puts him with Pettersson and Miller, they eventually tie the game and we win 2 in a row.

He needs be consistent physically and create momentum like Reaves and Carrier have done. He's still growing and that's why we should keep him. Players in free agency don't have the potential to grow like Virtanen.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Game 5 against the Blues is enough reason to retain Virtanen. We were basically out of that game until Green puts him with Pettersson and Miller, they eventually tie the game and we win 2 in a row.

He needs be consistent physically and create momentum like Reaves and Carrier have done. He's still growing and that's why we should keep him. Players in free agency don't have the potential to grow like Virtanen.

No.... No it really is not.

If anything Jake finally busted the myth that he is somehow built for the playoffs and would turn in to a beast once we get there. He was still the same old Jake.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
No.... No it really is not.

If anything Jake finally busted the myth that he is somehow built for the playoffs and would turn in to a beast once we get there. He was still the same old Jake.
You don't know hockey. Virtanen is the reason we won game 5 and turned the momentum in the series. Re-watch the game bud, we don't have a player in the bottom 6 that could have done what he did. Step onto the top line and spark them.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Benning on the radio today saying "we think he's a consistent 20 goal guy for us".

Why the **** are you pumping the tires of a player you have to go to arbitration against?

Reactions: THE Green Man

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Benning on the radio today saying "we think he's a consistent 20 goal guy for us".

Why the **** are you pumping the tires of a player you have to go to arbitration against?
Maybe Benning is letting his fan base know that Jake is now a regular fixture in the team’s top six? I wonder how Green likes that? :fight:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

Same reason he called Brandon Sutter a "foundational player" right before going into contract negotiations.

The man does not have a lot of foresight.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
He’s getting 4 million dollars and I’m sure not many teams wanna deal with that so his trade value is nil. God this off-season sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad