Player Discussion Jake Virtanen | XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Yep and gifting him an NHL spot and salary didnt make him click so hopefully having to prove himself will work

No argument with that....I think he should have been sent down in the first place and developed properly.

I hope that people still want him to develop, it seems he has become a pariah to some here.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
No argument with that....I think he should have been sent down in the first place and developed properly.

I hope that people still want him to develop, it seems he has become a pariah to some here.

That is just because our wish list was this order: Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie, Virtanen. And that is how they are looking for their careers

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Why do you care so damn much about what other people hope and how other people post? My goodness.

There is nothing do be done with Jake at this time. He is a longshot at this point but was one of the younger players of his draft class so maybe just maybe figures something out next year.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
I wonder if anyone thinks management should have kept Virtanen in the NHL and maybe pull a Lazar trade here.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Why do you care so damn much about what other people hope and how other people post? My goodness.

There is nothing do be done with Jake at this time. He is a longshot at this point but was one of the younger players of his draft class so maybe just maybe figures something out next year.

I don't care what you post.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wonder if anyone thinks management should have kept Virtanen in the NHL and maybe pull a Lazar trade here.

Speaks volumes that with all the injuries and the mumps outbreak, he still hasn't been part of the airlift from Utica....apparently even Rendulic, Grenier and LaBate are better options right now, not to mention Chaput, Skille and Megna.

Really hope that next year there's a new coach behind the bench and Virtanen can come to training camp with a clean slate.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Speaks volumes that with all the injuries and the mumps outbreak, he still hasn't been part of the airlift from Utica....apparently even Rendulic, Grenier and LaBate are better options right now, not to mention Chaput, Skille and Megna.

Really hope that next year there's a new coach behind the bench and Virtanen can come to training camp with a clean slate.

I think it could be more they are trying to fix what they did....I least I hope that is the plan. They need this kid to get it together.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
We all want him to succeed right? ....or?

Probably 99% of us want him to succeed.

But, a lot of us are incredibly defeatist when it comes to this team.

He was put up on posters, heralded as a great pick who was going to lead the youth charge. He was our highest draft pick since the Sedins.

Then you hear stories of a poor attitude, coming to camp out of shape, him whining to the media, going to Disneyland as a rookie during the season etc. Yes its rumors etc but how come we didn't hear any about Bo?

And then he plays so poorly this year that it's obviouslymade a lot of people really angry.

Templeton Peck

I'm a ***** on CDC
Dec 4, 2016
Why would I not want him to succeed and where do you assume that from my original post? Virtanen is now getting passed by a lot of players on the prospect chart.

Who has passed him other than Bo? Goldobin is going to get a look and some of the others guys on the farm have had a look. Most haven't stuck. Chaput seems to have and Gaunce could be replaced by Virtanen at any time, neither have accomplished anything and in fact Virt has likely accomplished more at the NHL Level. Chaput is 24, Jake is 20. Gaunce is 22, Jake is 20. Boeser, Olli, Demko and Goldy but none of them has accomplished anything.

Templeton Peck

I'm a ***** on CDC
Dec 4, 2016
Probably 99% of us want him to succeed.

But, a lot of us are incredibly defeatist when it comes to this team.

He was put up on posters, heralded as a great pick who was going to lead the youth charge. He was our highest draft pick since the Sedins.

Then you hear stories of a poor attitude, coming to camp out of shape, him whining to the media, going to Disneyland as a rookie during the season etc. Yes its rumors etc but how come we didn't hear any about Bo?

And then he plays so poorly this year that it's obviouslymade a lot of people really angry.

and he is 20...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Who has passed him other than Bo? Goldobin is going to get a look and some of the others guys on the farm have had a look. Most haven't stuck. Chaput seems to have and Gaunce could be replaced by Virtanen at any time, neither have accomplished anything and in fact Virt has likely accomplished more at the NHL Level. Chaput is 24, Jake is 20. Gaunce is 22, Jake is 20. Boeser, Olli, Demko and Goldy but none of them has accomplished anything.

Boeser, Demko, Juolevi, Dahlen, Goldobin, Gaudette have all surpassed Virtanen by now. They've all taken steps forward while Virtanen has been regressing. You think Virtanen is a better prospect over the prospects mentioned?

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
hb_14.37.jpg

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
and he is 20...

And looking worse than he did at 19.

If I gave you 6 hours and unlimited resources I doubt you could find me five successful nhl players who have followed the path Jake is on.

. There is nothing we can do about it but hope for the best but make no mistake the outlook is bleak right now.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
one of the worst 6th overall picks in nhl history.

and the fact craig button had him pegged at the 2nd round.

the biggest knock is his IQ, he isnt very smart at all .

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think he learns from what he did wrong the previous offseason.
I really like his style of play in the game clips we see.
Can't wait to see him surrounded by NHL talent in camp (if not on a late season callup over the next 20gms).
Expect/hope he earns a spot in the fall.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

You know I've said it before, but really beginning to wonder about the WHL as an incubator of NHL talent....heard the coach of the Prince George Cougars on the radio recently saying that during the entire month of January, his team had time for only one practice....all the rest of the time was spent playing games and on the bus....one practice!...is this for real?

Ottawa has given up on Lazar and Virtanen looks to be busting badly. RNH was a poor first overall pick for the Oilers..... Should serve as a warning about Nolan Patrick in this year's draft.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus

NO. They tried the accelerated promotion to the show and it didn't take. Now we'll see what two plus years in the A does.

Don't get this desire on the part of some to quickly deal a poorly trending high draft pick as if it's some stain on the organization that won't go away until he does. So long as there is still a chance... I'd eat my mistake, wouldn't take a 2nd for him even now if offered. Especially in this case when all the projecting shows great need for player with his attributes.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail

Yeah, apparently this type of discussion occurred when Burrows was trying to tell him to use his speed and hit guys with abandon, not given two ***** in the process....

Burrows: You be cocky and arrogant, even when you're getting beat. That's the secret. You gotta play this game with fear and arrogance.

Virtanen: Right. Fear and ignorance.

Burrows: [exasperated] No. You hayseed. It's arrogance not 'ignorance.'

Jake Virtanen...the Ebby Calvin 'Nuke' LaLoosh of your Vancouver Canucks!

I can still see him as an effective, complimentary middle six banger helping to create turnovers and room for skilled linemates though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad