Player Discussion Jake Virtanen | XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Video of Feb 24 game vs Wilkes Barre Penguins - all JV shifts.

Times are referenced to video, not game clock.

• 00:10 - Shot by Kunyk, rebound, JV missed rebound in tight.
  • 00:31 - JV one one one break, deaks and loses the puck.
  • 00:54 - JV Board work in D-zone, clears the puck.
  • 1:20 - JV board work in D-Zone, hits Cassels with a breakout pass - results in O-Zone possession. Billins gets a shot and Kunyk draws penaly on possession.
  • 2:07 - [PP] JV Shot from high slot.
  • 2:40 - 3:05 - O-Zone and Neutral zone play. Possession, but nothing dangerous.
  • 3:20 - [PP] JV nice pass from below the goal line to Archibald in the paint. Archi gets 2 shots, both stopped.
  • 3:40 - 4:08 [PP] JV in front of net. Lots of puck movement, one shot from Subban, no rebound.
  • 4:20 - JV big hit on WBS winger on the side boards (right after Cassels just misses an even bigger hit on the end boards).
  • 4:38 - Shot by Sautner, JV and Kunyk in front of net, Kunyk gets the rebound, saved.
  • 4:44 - break in 3 on 2. JV gains the line, pass to Kunyk intercepted.
  • 5:08 - D-Zone play on other side board (Sautner takes a penalty)
  • 5:20 - [PP] bit of a cycle going, puck cleared down ice.
  • 5:35 - [PP] Breakout, JV skates puck up the ice and loses it at the O-zone blue line.
  • 6:34 - O-Zone cycle retains possession, shot by Pedan, JV puck recovery, then loses puck, iced by WBS.
  • 6:48 - Kunyk intercepts a breakout pass, cuts behind the net and passes to JV. Shot hits cross bar.
  • 7:02 - 7:18. JV transitions puck (contested) from D-zone to O-Zone.
  • 7:30 - 7:42 - JV wins puck battle on board in D-zone, hits Kunyk with pass, 2 on 1 vs WBS. JV hustles down the ice to be the trailer, JV shot, tipped wide by D.
  • 8:16 - JV rushes 2 on 2 up ice with Valk. Valk kind of cuts in front of Jake and they get crossed up and lose the puck. Cassels recovers puck, JV shot from RH dot. (saved)
  • 8:32 - Cycle in O-zone, loses the puck.
  • 8:50 - 8:59. - JV on forecheck, recovers puck. Turned over but JV recovers puck at blueline. Pens then breakout on 2nd attempt.
  • 9:10 - 9:25 - [PP] JV in front of net. Puck is moved around the outside, shot by Subban wide of net.

keslerbomb

Dec 13, 2011
Victoria
Just trade this ****er

Absolute worst time to trade him. His value is basically zero, but he's still young enough that he could come back and make us look stupid. Let's see how he looks if Dahlen and Gaudette come to the AHL next year.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Absolute worst time to trade him. His value is basically zero, but he's still young enough that he could come back and make us look stupid. Let's see how he looks if Dahlen and Gaudette come to the AHL next year.

Yeah, I need to see Virtanen in a fresh-start year. Too much bad blood this season. Everyone needs to take a summer and unwind.

I seriously doubt Virtanen comes to camp out of shape this year. If he shows up with a six-pack, I think a lot of 2016-2017 is forgotten real quick.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yeah, I need to see Virtanen in a fresh-start year. Too much bad blood this season. Everyone needs to take a summer and unwind.

I seriously doubt Virtanen comes to camp out of shape this year. If he shows up with a six-pack, I think a lot of 2016-2017 is forgotten real quick.

You would think he wouldn't have shown up in camp out of shape this past year. After all he had a full year of NHL hockey to know the shape he should be in and the team working with him. Perhaps he's that slow of a learner. I would hope not but maybe he is.

That said, he isn't out of shape now and he still isn't producing or playing beyond anything more than journeyman AHLer level. That's a problem.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You would think he wouldn't have shown up in camp out of shape this past year. After all he had a full year of NHL hockey to know the shape he should be in and the team working with him. Perhaps he's that slow of a learner. I would hope not but maybe he is.

That said, he isn't out of shape now and he still isn't producing or playing beyond anything more than journeyman AHLer level. That's a problem.

Sounds more like he misjudged how much size to add this summer. He wouldn't be the first player to do that. It's not a good thing but I think some people are blowing it out of proportion.

He's supposedly slimmed down and improved his conditioning, but can we really say he's at the level of the players around him? We see holdouts all the time struggle all year to find their rythym. He might be in the shape he should have been at the start of the year, while others are in mid season form. It just seems like once you fall behind you'll never catch up that season. I don't think we can discount the potential of a shoulder injury either.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
To be fair this kid has every reason to ask for trade this season imho. Borna Redulic? Really Jim? You'd think after passing the 4th forward call up he might actually get a chance.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
To be fair this kid has every reason to ask for trade this season imho. Borna Redulic? Really Jim? You'd think after passing the 4th forward call up he might actually get a chance.

He hasn't even come close to deserving a call up. He had a massive chance last year and in preseason and did nothing with it. I'd rather see almost any other Utica forward called up including guys like Valk and Archibald even though they aren't signed.

The kid was gifted a spot last year, he definitely isn't being held back by management.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI

100% the right call leaving him down. No need to shake up what he is working on with Green down in Utica

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Would such a Virtanen thing to do. Demand a trade when you're not even deserving of a call-up. I'd say good riddance if he did that. Not like we'll be missing out on much.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
All reports are his attitude since being sent down has been good, I'm not sure where people are seeing his attitude problems there?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
All reports are his attitude since being sent down has been good, I'm not sure where people are seeing his attitude problems there?

Where are people saying this? There were some rumblings or issues when he was up in Vancouver but I haven't seen anyone really fault his attitude in Utica.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Dude has one goal in his last 33 games. Rendulic is producing lately. Why on earth should Jake be gifted a call up?

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
Video of Feb 24 game vs Wilkes Barre Penguins - all JV shifts.

Times are referenced to video, not game clock.

• 00:10 - Shot by Kunyk, rebound, JV missed rebound in tight.
  • 00:31 - JV one one one break, deaks and loses the puck.
  • 00:54 - JV Board work in D-zone, clears the puck.
  • 1:20 - JV board work in D-Zone, hits Cassels with a breakout pass - results in O-Zone possession. Billins gets a shot and Kunyk draws penaly on possession.
  • 2:07 - [PP] JV Shot from high slot.
  • 2:40 - 3:05 - O-Zone and Neutral zone play. Possession, but nothing dangerous.
  • 3:20 - [PP] JV nice pass from below the goal line to Archibald in the paint. Archi gets 2 shots, both stopped.
  • 3:40 - 4:08 [PP] JV in front of net. Lots of puck movement, one shot from Subban, no rebound.
  • 4:20 - JV big hit on WBS winger on the side boards (right after Cassels just misses an even bigger hit on the end boards).
  • 4:38 - Shot by Sautner, JV and Kunyk in front of net, Kunyk gets the rebound, saved.
  • 4:44 - break in 3 on 2. JV gains the line, pass to Kunyk intercepted.
  • 5:08 - D-Zone play on other side board (Sautner takes a penalty)
  • 5:20 - [PP] bit of a cycle going, puck cleared down ice.
  • 5:35 - [PP] Breakout, JV skates puck up the ice and loses it at the O-zone blue line.
  • 6:34 - O-Zone cycle retains possession, shot by Pedan, JV puck recovery, then loses puck, iced by WBS.
  • 6:48 - Kunyk intercepts a breakout pass, cuts behind the net and passes to JV. Shot hits cross bar.
  • 7:02 - 7:18. JV transitions puck (contested) from D-zone to O-Zone.
  • 7:30 - 7:42 - JV wins puck battle on board in D-zone, hits Kunyk with pass, 2 on 1 vs WBS. JV hustles down the ice to be the trailer, JV shot, tipped wide by D.
  • 8:16 - JV rushes 2 on 2 up ice with Valk. Valk kind of cuts in front of Jake and they get crossed up and lose the puck. Cassels recovers puck, JV shot from RH dot. (saved)
  • 8:32 - Cycle in O-zone, loses the puck.
  • 8:50 - 8:59. - JV on forecheck, recovers puck. Turned over but JV recovers puck at blueline. Pens then breakout on 2nd attempt.
  • 9:10 - 9:25 - [PP] JV in front of net. Puck is moved around the outside, shot by Subban wide of net.

looks like he has come a long way.
plays hard. making plays... could just be completely snake bitten in recent times.
thanks for the video.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
looks like he has come a long way.
plays hard. making plays... could just be completely snake bitten in recent times.
thanks for the video.

Yeah, my thinking too....you have to think if he keeps getting a lot of shots they will eventually go in....

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yeah, my thinking too....you have to think if he keeps getting a lot of shots they will eventually go in....

Wishful thinking bub. Time to get out of fantasyland and into reality with him. Have you seen his numbers this year?? Please try to pay attention :shakehead

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

He's almost worthless ATM, so no point trading him. One thing in his favour is he is expansion/waivers exempt for another year so might as well ride it out and pray for the best.

Last edited:

Ninebreaker

Mar 4, 2014
If we don't see any sort of real turn around this season, I wouldn't mind trading him for another struggling prospect. Change of scenery might help him (and whoever Canucks get in return).

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Wishful thinking bub. Time to get out of fantasyland and into reality with him. Have you seen his numbers this year?? Please try to pay attention :shakehead

Yep, you could handle a rebuild:)

You lecturing someone else....:shakehead

I'm not sure how you couldn't expect some to go in if he keeps shooting as much as he has....

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Jake must be sweating right now seeing all these forward prospect additions. Just another two players to potentially take the spot(s) he's pissed away so far.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Jake must be sweating right now seeing all these forward prospect additions. Just another two players to potentially take the spot(s) he's pissed away so far.

We all want him to succeed right? ....or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad