Jake Virtanen XI - Showtime Big Country (Update: Suspended for 2 Games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
It just gets tiresome when 100% of suspensions are some sort of conspiracy.

It gets tiresome when we see other teams make similar hits and not get suspensions. The way I see it, the NHL has no problem treating Canadian franchises like **** (or by the book) because they know the fans aren't going anywhere. When it comes to some American markets they're afraid to lose fans/money so they let things slide. It's all about money/attendance in large American markets. Not sure if that is a conspiracy or what but it's not right.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It just gets tiresome when 100% of suspensions are some sort of conspiracy.

Oh I'm with that. The conspiracy crap that litters this place - the lottery, the suspensions, blah blah - makes my eyes bleed.

I'm just pissed that it was an unduly harsh punishment for a rather pedestrian offense. No more than that.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It gets tiresome when we see other teams make similar hits and not get suspensions. The way I see it, the NHL has no problem treating Canadian franchises like **** (or by the book) because they know the fans aren't going anywhere. When it comes to some American markets they're afraid to lose fans/money so they let things slide. It's all about money/attendance in large American markets. Not sure if that is a conspiracy or what but it's not right.

It's the ambiguity of Gary Bettman.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is there something going on in the Canuck dressing-room with Virtanen?....Willie and the Sedins have taken turns, taking runs at him for on and off ice stuff....and apparently Beth Bartkowski was down on at least one Canuck rookie, whom she couldn't name...hmm.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Is there something going on in the Canuck dressing-room with Virtanen?....Willie and the Sedins have taken turns, taking runs at him for on and off ice stuff....and apparently Beth Bartkowski was down on at least one Canuck rookie, whom she couldn't name...hmm.

What have the Sedins said about him?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

Who's Beth Bartkowski and why does her opinion matter?

It's been very explicit that the entire locker room has been chirping Virtanen for being overweight or out of shape. It's been in numerous interviews and videos (published by the team)

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
How in the **** that hit results in a 2 game suspension is beyond me.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014

Would be funny if recent comments were about Hutton, guy is a cancer I tell you.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I think on TSN radio, before the suspension came down. They were discussing how Virtanen's hit of being blindside was one of the major things they are trying to remove from the game. This means that they are going to punish a little harder for this type of play. Furthermore, Virtanen is going to be a young player in the league for a long time. They were also discussing how they want to send a message to him as a young player. I kind of get the reasoning as Virtanen will be in the league for a long time and making sure he understands thoroughly of where the league stands on this issue.

The punishment was a bit harsh and excessive but I understand it from the League's perspective.

Dr. Nucksfan

Sep 23, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
How in the **** that hit results in a 2 game suspension is beyond me.

Uh, because it was a late blindside hit, on an unsuspecting player, while the puck was nowhere near.

What part of that didn't you see?

Watch the player's neck move and his head wobble. It's a cowardly piece of **** hit.

I would have been fine with a one game, or a talking to. But as a doctor who has had concussions (climbing, boxing, biking and hockey), I want these cheap shots taken out of the game.

Oh and by the way, I would give Duncan Keith ten games.

Dr. Nucksfan

Sep 23, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Furthermore, Virtanen is going to be a young player in the league for a long time. They were also discussing how they want to send a message to him as a young player. I kind of get the reasoning as Virtanen will be in the league for a long time and making sure he understands thoroughly of where the league stands on this issue.

The punishment was a bit harsh and excessive but I understand it from the League's perspective.

Exactly.

If he never targets unsuspecting players again in his career, and goes on to be a solid player, then we should be grateful this was nipped in the bud.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I don't mind the suspension, should remind him next time not to be stupid. Physical play should always be a big part of his game but he doesn't need to be out there trying to seriously hurt people.

Spot on. I actually like that they gave him a couple games seeing as this is 'garbage time' anyway. Virtanen could have a promising career ahead of him; he doesn't need to cross the line like Raffi Torres. If he can learn to avoid the stupid stuff, he'll be that much more effective.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
This one was an easy suspension because of the way Virtanen watched/stalked Polak prior to the hit. He's looking at him as he comes up on the blindside and he knows as he hits him that Polak has no idea he's there. All the BS Jake said after the game was just spin: I'd guess the team told him what to say.

I have no issue with it. Those late hits that add nothing to the game are absolutely unnecessary. There's not going to be a turnover or any change to the play. If you want to keep physicality in other areas of hockey you need to limit the areas that could cause concussions/injuries on meaningless plays.

A good analog would be the way the NFL adjusted to stop DB's from absolutely destroying WR's that are defenseless going over the middle. You're not removing a play that has a tangible impact on the game. You're just removing reckless, unnecessary players with no intent beyond injuring someone. I don't buy for a second that Jake didn't want to hurt him. Not for a second. You don't throw that hit on someone that isn't looking at you/doesn't have the puck unless you want to put the guy down.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Exactly.

If he never targets unsuspecting players again in his career, and goes on to be a solid player, then we should be grateful this was nipped in the bud.

Thats a interesting perspective i have not thought of same with the person u quoted. I have gone back in forth on this suspension/hit and maybe is all for the good its not like he is missing games 4 and 5 of a playoff series hes missing games 77 and 78 of a tank season. I guess at least he wont get the leadership toxic enviro for two more games... Morale victory?

Dr. Nucksfan

Sep 23, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Think we're complaining that a suspension for a 1/2 second late hit is stupid.

Was it a headshot? No.

Was it a knee? No.

Was it into the boards? No.

Was it a charge? No.

Does he have priors? No.

Was the player injured? No.

What was it exactly then?

A half second later than most hits are allowed. **** then, better throw the book at him.

I'm a huge Canucks fan, and believe in almost nothing Bettman does. But I wouldn't want to cook with your timer if that was 1/2 a second.

You tell me how you would like to take those kinds of blindside hits out of the game, if not via minor suspensions like this? I mean, even Moore's high hit on Naslund could be defended because the puck was right there, within reach. (I still think Moore's was a suspect hit, an avoidable hit.) Virtanen's hit was delivered to an unsuspecting player, practically from beside/behind.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm a huge Canucks fan, and believe in almost nothing Bettman does. But I wouldn't want to cook with your timer if that was 1/2 a second.

I'm not sure you are grasping what im saying. You ARE allowed to hit a player after they've released the puck, the limit isn't specific but generally accepted to be about 1/2 a second. If you watch the video, Jake hits Polak probably 3/4 of a second after he releases the puck. I've watched it several times in regular speed and I can't even get a full "1 steamboat" out between him passing the puck and the hit.

So if 1/2 second is "ok" and Jake hits Polak at ~.75 seconds, that makes it .25 seconds "too late". And to avoid quibbling with people over fractions of seconds, I've just rounded it up to a full 1/2 second.

If you think the hit is longer than that, i'd suggest a couple things:

1. Watch it in a real time video, not a slow motion gif.

2. Watch closely for the exact moment Polak actually releases the puck. He c.ocks it a few times but doesn't release until Jake is almost on him. Then count until Jake makes contact. If it is more than 1 full second I'll buy you a house on Malibu beach.

3. Consider the speed that Jake is moving at in this shot. Yes he could have let up, but the difference between hitting a guy at .5 seconds and .75 seconds after he passes the puck is a small one, esp when you're playing the game.

You tell me how you would like to take those kinds of blindside hits out of the game, if not via minor suspensions like this? I mean, even Moore's high hit on Naslund could be defended because the puck was right there, within reach. (I still think Moore's was a suspect hit, an avoidable hit.) Virtanen's hit was delivered to an unsuspecting player, practically from beside/behind.

Why do we need to take shoulder-to-shoulder "blindside" hits out? Should we also take out hits where the player has his head down a la the Byfuglien on Stone hit? Outside of the lateness, Jake's hit was 100% legal by NHL standards. There is no actual rule against blindside hits, only a rule about hits to the head that mentions approaching from the blindside (and that was removed I believe).

The thing that needs to be removed is hits to the head, not where the hit comes from. And that's what frustrates me about this suspension. If it is delivered 1/2 second earlier, it's not even a 2 minute penalty. But due to that small discrepancy, it is suddenly a "dirty, vicious" hit that everyone is up in arms about? Sorry, but that's ****ing garbage. Any hit is by definition somewhat "vicious", but this one wasn't egregiously so. I've seen so many hits that were perfectly legal and yet much more dangerous. Hell, the Byfuglien-Stone hit was 100% legal and yet much more dangerous than what Jake did. But because it was on time, Byfuglien walks away and Stone is probably nursing a concussion.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I'm not sure you are grasping what im saying. You ARE allowed to hit a player after they've released the puck, the limit isn't specific but generally accepted to be about 1/2 a second. If you watch the video, Jake hits Polak probably 3/4 of a second after he releases the puck. I've watched it several times in regular speed and I can't even get a full "1 steamboat" out between him passing the puck and the hit.

So if 1/2 second is "ok" and Jake hits Polak at ~.75 seconds, that makes it .25 seconds "too late". And to avoid quibbling with people over fractions of seconds, I've just rounded it up to a full 1/2 second.

If you think the hit is longer than that, i'd suggest a couple things:

1. Watch it in a real time video, not a slow motion gif.

2. Watch closely for the exact moment Polak actually releases the puck. He c.ocks it a few times but doesn't release until Jake is almost on him. Then count until Jake makes contact. If it is more than 1 full second I'll buy you a house on Malibu beach.

3. Consider the speed that Jake is moving at in this shot. Yes he could have let up, but the difference between hitting a guy at .5 seconds and .75 seconds after he passes the puck is a small one, esp when you're playing the game.

Why do we need to take shoulder-to-shoulder "blindside" hits out? Should we also take out hits where the player has his head down a la the Byfuglien on Stone hit? Outside of the lateness, Jake's hit was 100% legal by NHL standards. There is no actual rule against blindside hits, only a rule about hits to the head that mentions approaching from the blindside (and that was removed I believe).

The thing that needs to be removed is hits to the head, not where the hit comes from. And that's what frustrates me about this suspension. If it is delivered 1/2 second earlier, it's not even a 2 minute penalty. But due to that small discrepancy, it is suddenly a "dirty, vicious" hit that everyone is up in arms about? Sorry, but that's ****ing garbage. Any hit is by definition somewhat "vicious", but this one wasn't egregiously so. I've seen so many hits that were perfectly legal and yet much more dangerous. Hell, the Byfuglien-Stone hit was 100% legal and yet much more dangerous than what Jake did. But because it was on time, Byfuglien walks away and Stone is probably nursing a concussion.

To me this entirely falls into the category of an unsuspecting player being vulnerable. No player without the puck should expect to get hit but if it comes from the front, at least they have an opportunity to protect themselves. The NHL is pretty archaic with some of its rules. Football, for example, even has rules against hits to defenseless receivers.
So, I think the league is making a judgement call on the hit without having a specific written rule to enforce...unless someone can point to one?

All that said, I think the suspension is way over the line. He should have been ejected from the game at most.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ

Uh, because it was a late blindside hit, on an unsuspecting player, while the puck was nowhere near.

What part of that didn't you see?

Watch the player's neck move and his head wobble. It's a cowardly piece of **** hit.

I would have been fine with a one game, or a talking to. But as a doctor who has had concussions (climbing, boxing, biking and hockey), I want these cheap shots taken out of the game.

Oh and by the way, I would give Duncan Keith ten games.

2lo4269.png

wow....you sound a little "too" mad about this...it's a contact sport bud...you would've thought he Bertuzzi'd the guy or something :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Loved that hit.....adds to the intimidating identity JB is trying to build....would much rather have that than see 40+ pages *****in about how dirty *insert opposing playoff team's player* is and how the refs are terrible....would love to see the excuses pour in if Nucks wouldve picked Frail Frame Willy, gets rocked in Game 3, and then goes quiet the rest of the series as per usual :laugh:

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
To me this entirely falls into the category of an unsuspecting player being vulnerable. No player without the puck should expect to get hit but if it comes from the front, at least they have an opportunity to protect themselves. The NHL is pretty archaic with some of its rules. Football, for example, even has rules against hits to defenseless receivers.
So, I think the league is making a judgement call on the hit without having a specific written rule to enforce...unless someone can point to one?

All that said, I think the suspension is way over the line. He should have been ejected from the game at most.

Bolded is untrue. He *just* had the puck ... literally had it on his stick 1 second ago. There is no reason for him to be unprepared at that moment. If he had never had the puck or something, then sure I 100% agree. But watch the play. Even if Jake had hit him when he still had the puck it would have been the exact same result.

So while I agree with a penalty for the "lateness" of the hit, the circumstances are such that he should not have been completely unprepared for contact.

As for having the opportunity to protect himself more if it comes from the front, sure no argument. But again I don't believe there is a specific rule about the direction a hit comes from, provided the hit itself isn't "illegal" (i.e. targeting head, knees, etc).

On your last point, I agree. Game ejection was fair punishment for a late hit. But can someone point to the last time a player got suspended for interference where the hit itself was clean? Other than Aaron Rome in 2011 of course ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad