Jake Virtanen XI - Showtime Big Country (Update: Suspended for 2 Games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
****you nhl. Your whole discipline committee and can go **** themselves. All of you are pieces of ****.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
A very disheartening suspension. I have no faith in the NHL to do the right thing, but even with that in mind I didn't expect a suspension. It's a nothing play. 5 mins for interference is enough, if not overkill. Personally I think it's a 2 min minor, but I understand the call on the ice since Polak stayed down -- though immediately got up and skated off after the major call was made. Dumb play by Jake, but you know this "precedent" isn't going to be applied again.

Worst part is that Jake is not going to be allowed to play physical in this league. The next time he breathes on someone and they get hurt he is going to be a "repeat offender." It's really too bad for him he didn't get drafted by another team. He'd be a terror for a long time playing for Boston or LA. Players like Brown and Lucic are dirty for years before they even get fined, yet Jake is done after 51 games. Brown even got off scot-free for a blatant headbutt this season.

Between this and more of the leaked emails, I continue to wonder why I even bother following the NHL anymore.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Funny how this suspension comes the same day as the released emails. Well there goes the hitting part of Jake's game. Only took one season. And that is why you never target power forwards early in the draft unless you have the suspension protection of being a Bruin.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I know exactly what you're referring to. Stupid move on McKenzies part. He was the gold standard - now he's just another shill for the NHL.

Yeah I lost a lot of respect for him today. I actually gained the slightest bit of respect for Dreger strangely. I like how he said "I won't be your shill Colin" when talked to about Gregory Campbell's "missed" 4 point night.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I'm not sure what you all are complaining about. Hit was clearly late and 2 games is no big deal.

What we're complaining about is the punishments the NHL hands out correlate a lot more closely with the uniform of the offender than the offence itself.

And we're always on the short end of the stick.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'm sure a lot of canvases think this.

The whining is pretty pathetic tbh.

You should go read some of the NHL emails released today. It's all before the current guy (Quintal?) was in charge of discipline but its basically what we all thought.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
You should go read some of the NHL emails released today. It's all before the current guy (Quintal?) was in charge of discipline but its basically what we all thought.

I've read them. I've seen nothing particularly surprising nor interesting. A lot of banality that is nothing remotely related to this latest incident.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm not sure what you all are complaining about. Hit was clearly late and 2 games is no big deal.

Think we're complaining that a suspension for a 1/2 second late hit is stupid.

Was it a headshot? No.

Was it a knee? No.

Was it into the boards? No.

Was it a charge? No.

Does he have priors? No.

Was the player injured? No.

What was it exactly then?

A half second later than most hits are allowed. **** then, better throw the book at him.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Think we're complaining that a suspension for a 1/2 second late hit is stupid.

Was it a headshot? No.

Was it a knee? No.

Was it into the boards? No.

Was it a charge? No.

Does he have priors? No.

Was the player injured? No.

What was it exactly then?

A half second later than most hits are allowed. **** then, better throw the book at him.

He got two games. He wasn't suspended for life. It was late enough that it was clearly avoidable. Does it really matter whether he gets 1 game or 2?

I'm not saying it was the right decision, but it's justifiable and not worth all this petty moaning.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I've read them. I've seen nothing particularly surprising nor interesting. A lot of banality that is nothing remotely related to this latest incident.

I don't think it's so much the uniform as it is the player. You could see in one of the emails today that the league basically had their eye on Kassian from the start. Jake also has a reputation for big hits so I wouldn't be surprised if the league has their eye on him as well. If McDavid makes that hits do you think he gets 2 games for his first offense?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
He got two games. He wasn't suspended for life. It was late enough that it was clearly avoidable. Does it really matter whether he gets 1 game or 2?

I'm not saying it was the right decision, but it's justifiable and not worth all this petty moaning.

Eh, it's a message board and something that most consider stupid and/or unfair just happened to one of our players today. A reaction just means we're normal, regular hockey fans. I've seen far more moaning for far less before.

Come get me if we're still on this by the weekend, then you may be onto something.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Eh, it's a message board and something that most consider stupid and/or unfair just happened to one of our players today. A reaction just means we're normal, regular hockey fans. I've seen far more moaning for far less before.

Come get me if we're still on this by the weekend, then you may be onto something.

It just gets tiresome when 100% of suspensions are some sort of conspiracy.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It just gets tiresome when 100% of suspensions are some sort of conspiracy.

I don't think it's a conspiracy, just more of a case of the league and their officials letting their personal biases influence their decisions for players they personally like or don't like. In most cases the team is probably collateral damage.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Strange play from Jake. I feel like he's been passing up a lot hits he could follow through on and has been erring on the side of caution on the ones he doe all season. This one wasn't even close, he was way late and it was blindside. I don't mind the suspension, should remind him next time not to be stupid. Physical play should always be a big part of his game but he doesn't need to be out there trying to seriously hurt people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad