Jake Virtanen XI - Showtime Big Country (Update: Suspended for 2 Games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
2lo4269.png

wow....you sound a little "too" mad about this...it's a contact sport bud...you would've thought he Bertuzzi'd the guy or something :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Loved that hit.....adds to the intimidating identity JB is trying to build....would much rather have that than see 40+ pages *****in about how dirty *insert opposing playoff team's player* is and how the refs are terrible....would love to see the excuses pour in if Nucks wouldve picked Frail Frame Willy, gets rocked in Game 3, and then goes quiet the rest of the series as per usual :laugh:

Yeah, imagine someone being mad because someone on our team actually laid someone out for a change. :facepalm:

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Yeah, imagine someone being mad because someone on our team actually laid someone out for a change. :facepalm:

Yeah it's pretty sad.... The Ferlands, Marchands, and Browns of the world put the fear of God in the Sedins and the rest of the soft players that this team is accustomed to, but the solution is the Nylanders and Ehlers of the world (who the Canucks have had plenty of) :facepalm:

I mean, are we playing to win here boys or are we just looking for arguments/talking points to show off a shiny new prospect's point totals? :laugh: :laugh:

This board is comedy I swear :laugh:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Aaron Rome was 'extremely' late in the NHL's view at 0.6 seconds. Virtanen's hit was like .9-.95 seconds after the puck gets passed.

If it's enough time for me (in real time) to see Virtanen stalking Polak and think to myself "this will be trouble", it's probably too late for the hit.

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I know they should take this kind of hit out of the game but the old school in me just keeps thinking "don't admire your passes" and "head on a swivel".

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Why is his nickname big country of all things? His nickname should clearly be Hollywood.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
I know they should take this kind of hit out of the game but the old school in me just keeps thinking "don't admire your passes" and "head on a swivel".

We are going to get rid of hitting AND lay down every time you are hit. Keep your freaking head up. Shoulder to shoulder! Those are my thoughts! Not to be repeated!!!

Someone should teach that young man something about keeping his head up. Hitting is a vital aspect to everything our game is about and we may be adjusting it too much if we are not careful ... and give in to the masses. Canada certainly loved Rick Smash Nash running everyone in the Olympics!

:sarcasm:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Bolded is untrue. He *just* had the puck ... literally had it on his stick 1 second ago. There is no reason for him to be unprepared at that moment. If he had never had the puck or something, then sure I 100% agree. But watch the play. Even if Jake had hit him when he still had the puck it would have been the exact same result.

So while I agree with a penalty for the "lateness" of the hit, the circumstances are such that he should not have been completely unprepared for contact.

As for having the opportunity to protect himself more if it comes from the front, sure no argument. But again I don't believe there is a specific rule about the direction a hit comes from, provided the hit itself isn't "illegal" (i.e. targeting head, knees, etc).

On your last point, I agree. Game ejection was fair punishment for a late hit. But can someone point to the last time a player got suspended for interference where the hit itself was clean? Other than Aaron Rome in 2011 of course ...

Obviously I meant within a reasonable timeframe. Clearly a hit is ok if the player just releases the puck - basically judged by whether the hitting player has time to adjust his move. Jake had plenty of time to decide not to make the hit after the puck was released but he still went through, ergo it was late. Despite all of the pundits who might like to calculate a specific time, it comes down to whether the hitting player can adjust his move.
I agree that, aside from being late, there was nothing wrong with the hit. And, to be honest, that's the difference between him and Raffe Torres. There was no question that the type of hit was clean.
Love the fact that the team has a skilled player who can actually play the game hard.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I hate Colin Campbell and he sounds like a neanderthal but he is sort of right. Exciting hits are rarer and rarer and half of them are suspensions due to some arbitrary standards that no one seems to really know.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
I hate Colin Campbell and he sounds like a neanderthal but he is sort of right. Exciting hits are rarer and rarer and half of them are suspensions due to some arbitrary standards that no one seems to really know.

i actually agree with this as well, but those emails are the gifts that keep on giving and can't resist going back to them

don't want to be a 'woos'

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
i actually agree with this as well, but those emails are the gifts that keep on giving and can't resist going back to them

don't want to be a 'woos'

Oh yeah, they have certainly kept me entertained lately. Apparently those were only around 1% of the total correspondences they are supposed to release. I think it's why the NHL just went nuts hiring team beat writers all over the place, that way there is no one left to criticize them publicly :naughty:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Aaron Rome was 'extremely' late in the NHL's view at 0.6 seconds. Virtanen's hit was like .9-.95 seconds after the puck gets passed.

If it's enough time for me (in real time) to see Virtanen stalking Polak and think to myself "this will be trouble", it's probably too late for the hit.
Yeah. Virtanen's hits have been good this year when he hits for hockey reasons, he hasn't been a border line hitter. This is a hit he hasn't been making and skates away from. This was just a really dumb angry hit over something very petty and meaningless.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Yeah it's pretty sad.... The Ferlands, Marchands, and Browns of the world put the fear of God in the Sedins and the rest of the soft players that this team is accustomed to, but the solution is the Nylanders and Ehlers of the world (who the Canucks have had plenty of) :facepalm:

I mean, are we playing to win here boys or are we just looking for arguments/talking points to show off a shiny new prospect's point totals? :laugh: :laugh:

This board is comedy I swear :laugh:

Yes, because winning is what this team is doing...

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Can we pleeeeaaaase get this Big Country moniker as far away as possible from this kid before it becomes a "thing"?

Please tell me it hasn't become a thing.

A far second... but definitely the worst insult since "the Sisters".

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
so is virtanen a "cancer in the lockerroom" since comments from twins/coach wd. wouldnt be surprised if hes dealt by next year or so. i like his physicality

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
I hope he gets traded from this garbage franchise to some place where he can develop into a good player. It did wonders for Neely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad