Jake Virtanen - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's amazing the lengths people are going to to defend the current regime and every single move they make regardless of how stupid it is. Inserting first rounders from the CHL and NCAA who finished their season and haven't played much during the regular season is not a foreign concept. Every team does this with their top prospects. Here is a look at the last few years of the two teams in the finals. McCann and Hutton not getting a chance while all of these guys did is a big red flag to me. McCann especially is tracking further ahead in his development than most of these guys were.

Also should be noted that basically every team listed below is much better at developing young talent than we are, the only possible exception being Dallas/Texas who I still put ahead of us. We are missing a huge opportunity right now with McCann and Hutton who should be getting some pro experience in before training camp.

2011-12 Binghamton Senators
Jared Cowen - 0 regular season games, 10 playoff games, was a big defensive factor for them in winning the Calder Cup

2012-13 Grand Rapids Griffins
Teemu Pulkinnen - 2 regular season games, 14 playoff games
Danny Dekeyser - 0 regular season games, 6 playoff games (signed from NCAA)

2012-13 Syracuse Crunch
Cedric Paquette - 0 regular season games, 3 playoff games
Andrej Sustr - 8 regular season games, all 18 playoff games

2013-14 Texas Stars
Radek Faksa - 6 regular season games, all 21 playoff games

2013-14 St. John's IceCaps
Josh Morrissey - 8 regular season games, all 20 playoff games

2014-15 Manchester Monarchs
Adriam Kempe - 3 regular season games, all 12 playoff games so far

2014-15 Utica Comets
Jake Virtanen - 0 regular season games, 8 playoff games
Jared McCann - 0 regular season games, sent home
Ben Hutton - 4 regular season games, sent home

The next year the players went on to

NHL
AHL

That list is pretty much Kempe and Morrisey, and there is a strong chance Kempe is in the AHL or possibly even NHL next year. The only player listed that could be considered an outlier is Hutton who will be in the AHL next year, and based on that list should be playing.

Maybe Travis Green knows what he is doing and we overrate our prospects? Take a prospect like Dane Fox. At this time last year, did anyone think that Fox would spend an entire season in the ECHL? Maybe McCann and Hutton isn't as far as long as we thought, while Virtanen is closer to the NHL than those two?

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Virtanen is such a cool guy.

Most nhl'ers seem like straight edge. No fun. Bed by 10. Dont joke about me. Maybe a lot of european players give me this vibe. Like the sedins being robots kinda.

I rember part of our lockerroom divide was the sedins being quiet and weird and lu bieksa and kesler being fun normal guys

Prob a cultural thing i just think virtanen is the kind of team mate u want on and off the ice. Hed have a bottle broken over a team mate being bumped into in seconds

And the greatest players are able to loosen up and be normal people. Jake seems to me like hes never out of touch with the common person, and is ready to crack a joke about himself any second.

He has extrodinary beaking so its no suprise, funny when ppl on hear said his speach seems like he's stupid.

I rather a team full of guys that know poliics are corrupt and oil is running out than a team of Dare spokesmen

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Maybe Travis Green knows what he is doing and we overrate our prospects? Take a prospect like Dane Fox. At this time last year, did anyone think that Fox would spend an entire season in the ECHL? Maybe McCann and Hutton isn't as far as long as we thought, while Virtanen is closer to the NHL than those two?

I was never high on Fox, so I would throw myself into that category.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Virtanen is such a cool guy.

Most nhl'ers seem like straight edge. No fun. Bed by 10. Dont joke about me. Maybe a lot of european players give me this vibe. Like the sedins being robots kinda.

I rember part of our lockerroom divide was the sedins being quiet and weird and lu bieksa and kesler being fun normal guys

Prob a cultural thing i just think virtanen is the kind of team mate u want on and off the ice. Hed have a bottle broken over a team mate being bumped into in seconds

And the greatest players are able to loosen up and be normal people. Jake seems to me like hes never out of touch with the common person, and is ready to crack a joke about himself any second.

He has extrodinary beaking so its no suprise, funny when ppl on hear said his speach seems like he's stupid.

I rather a team full of guys that know poliics are corrupt and oil is running out than a team of Dare spokesmen

In my experience it takes a variety of different personalities to make up a strong locker room. You can't have too many guys talking at once... but somebody has to say something. I thinking calling the twins "robots" is disrespectful. By every account they are great people. That should be celebrated. I do think Virtanen has the kind of personality the team has been missing at times. I'm fond of players that stick their nose in there.

Last edited:

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
In my experience it takes a variety of different personalities to make up a strong locker room. You can't have too many guys talking at once... but somebody has to say something. I thinking calling the twins "robots" is disrespectful. By every account they are great people. That should be celebrated. I do think Virtanen has the kind of personality the team has been missing at times. I'm fond of players that stick their nose in there.

If you wanna be Yzerman you better back it up with gutsy performances, Robot isn't so much accurate as quiet, don't like quiet leaders

As for Jake not even a guy who talks a lot, just even rmeber in the WJC in warm up he was jousting aruond with everyone, getting them into the attitude, total Perry.

(He cares about his teammates, and wants them to do well)

Really makes me wonder what people are thinking, you have Virtanen who fits Benning physical check list, and his emotional checklist(Proably 100/100), and you want the 168lb dane who couldn't lead a group of ants into battle

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
If you wanna be Yzerman you better back it up with gutsy performances, Robot isn't so much accurate as quiet, don't like quiet leaders

As for Jake not even a guy who talks a lot, just even rmeber in the WJC in warm up he was jousting aruond with everyone, getting them into the attitude, total Perry.

(He cares about his teammates, and wants them to do well)

Really makes me wonder what people are thinking, you have Virtanen who fits Benning physical check list, and his emotional checklist(Proably 100/100), and you want the 168lb dane who couldn't lead a group of ants into battle

King Canute was even lighter than Ehlers and he led a group of Vikings to basically conquer England :nod:

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
King Canute was even lighter than Ehlers and he led a group of Vikings to basically conquer England :nod:

Nishkunin and ehlers are gonna haunt me my whole life. Even when horvat and virtanen are elite players winnins cups

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
So Jake's AHL experience likely ends with a paultry 1 assist in 10 games. Definitely not a great sign, he doesn't look ready for the AHL let alone the NHL. I wish he could play a full season there next season. Can't see him making any sort of offensive impact next season, all he can really bring is physicality but we don't want to limit his potential and turn him into a grinder going forward.

Just so frustrating looking at how even prospects drafted in the teens and late first round that were able to outproduce him. It's been long enough since his surgery. At this point in a redraft he might not even be taken before McCann.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
So Jake's AHL experience likely ends with a paultry 1 assist in 10 games. Definitely not a great sign, he doesn't look ready for the AHL let alone the NHL. I wish he could play a full season there next season. Can't see him making any sort of offensive impact next season, all he can really bring is physicality but we don't want to limit his potential and turn him into a grinder going forward.

Just so frustrating looking at how even prospects drafted in the teens and late first round that were able to outproduce him. It's been long enough since his surgery. At this point in a redraft he might not even be taken before McCann.

Hopefully next season he gets better. Kind of worrisome that he isn't scoring as much.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Doesn't seem like a great pick at #6 , hopefully he turns it around. We're never going to win anything if we blow picks in the top 10

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Didn't look ready for the AHL? Did you watch any games or just look at the score sheet? Oh no, he didn't light it up in 10 games again 2 of the best AHL teams!! Guess he's a career 3rd liner at 18 years old.

What a joke these boards have become...

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
i think he would definitely be ready for a 3rd/4th line role in the AHL next year if he was eligible, which is too bad as he would've been able to learn what it takes to be a future bottom 6er in a great pro environment instead of aimlessly playing in juniors again

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Didn't look ready for the AHL? Did you watch any games or just look at the score sheet? Oh no, he didn't light it up in 10 games again 2 of the best AHL teams!! Guess he's a career 3rd liner at 18 years old.

What a joke these boards have become...

Calm down, he didnt exactly light the world on fire. I would expect more than .10 ppg in the AHL out of a 6th overall pick regardless of the situation (see dylan larkin WHC and AHL stats). Doesn't mean he wont be a great player, but at years end im fine with saying Virtanen didnt have a great draft +1 season. Satisfactory is more like it.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
I noticed a progression from his first to tenth AHL game. He already has the physical ability to steamroll people at the AHL (probably NHL) level. Jake will need to start incorporating more pro aspects to his game and the numbers will come eventually. An argument can be made that he'll never incorporate those necessary skills, but I wouldn't go that far yet.

I think he sticks with the team as a 4th liner next season, but with some big time growing pains along with it.

Way too early to write him off as a 3rd liner.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I remember when many people on these boards were so disappointed that horvat had no points in 5 ahl games and didn't stand out....

Step back from the ledge people.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Calm down, he didnt exactly light the world on fire. I would expect more than .10 ppg in the AHL out of a 6th overall pick regardless of the situation (see dylan larkin WHC and AHL stats). Doesn't mean he wont be a great player, but at years end im fine with saying Virtanen didnt have a great draft +1 season. Satisfactory is more like it.

No one is saying he set the world on fire and if he did score like Larkin/Kempe we'd likely be writing him in as a future 1st liner. Both scenarios are premature and he isn't a star or a bust based on 10 AHL games 3 months before his 19th birthday. It was a step in a journey for Jake to the NHL and by all accounts it was a mixed bag. Certainly showed an ability to get/create chances with his strength and speed, which bodes well for his NHL prospects. Also showed an inaccurate shot and a lack of finish, which plays heavily into the 1 in 10 statline. Things to work on for sure and as you say, his foray into the AHL game can be described as "satisfactory", which is a far cry from some of the posts around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad