Jake Virtanen - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

overtherainbow

Jan 6, 2012
Hoping Virtanen gets in some AHL games and prove that his season had more to do with Calgary than his own lackluster play.

Everyone on this board would love Virtanen to surprise and become an impact forward as soon as next year, but there's nothing wrong with criticizing Jake's play on a game to game basis.

There are fans here who will ignore the ups and downs and faithfully believe in a prospect. That's fine. But there also needs to be acceptance for fans who provide accurate updates on a prospect whether good or bad.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
NHL for Virtanen next year unless the team can upgrade its physicality and aggressiveness in other transactions

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
He is made for the playoffs and brings the elements that are really missing from the team in skating, physicality and shot. Hopefully he is ready, he will be given every opportunity.

He'll get a taste of pro hockey here in Utica even if its practice, travelling with the team and watching from above.

He'll have a full summer to fully train, his first as an adult. That will be huge for the type of player he is.. I wouldn't be surprised to see him enter camp at 215 this September. With that kind of speed and aggression- could be able to wreak havok on opposition defenders.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
It'll be interesting to see how he fares against grown men instead of 15-20 year olds.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
He'll get a taste of pro hockey here in Utica even if its practice, travelling with the team and watching from above.

He'll have a full summer to fully train, his first as an adult. That will be huge for the type of player he is.. I wouldn't be surprised to see him enter camp at 215 this September. With that kind of speed and aggression- could be able to wreak havok on opposition defenders.

Yeah having him and Kassian in the lineup would be a start in getting where we need to be physically.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Ignoring the physicality for a second, JV and Bowie could be two-thirds of a very fast puck-rushing kid line.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It'll be interesting to see how he fares against grown men instead of 15-20 year olds.

It's the same thing that every junior player faces. IMO Jake's game should translate well to bigger, stronger players as it will allow him to play his physical game without getting called for penalties every second hit.

I think Jake's offensive game will take a bit longer as he adapts to the higher pace of the game. But his offensive game in junior was never based on being bigger and stronger than the other team (unlike a guy like Ritchie) but rather his speed and shot. Once he figures out how to use those tools at the NHL level - something that could well take 2-3 seasons just like Chris Kreider - I think we'll have an effective top 6 player.

CAPiTA

Sep 4, 2008
Vancouver
I was at an insider's event for team sponsors with Linden and De Bonis recently and Linden said that they have a spot pencilled in for Virtanen next year.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I was at an insider's event for team sponsors with Linden and De Bonis recently and Linden said that they have a spot pencilled in for Virtanen next year.

I believe that, he has everything this team needs and Benning has hinted to him being on the team a couple of time

I believe his game was translate to the AHL without a problem, it might even be better suited for his game. No dumb penalties for hitting to hard or players who can't skate with him and receive/set him up

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
is he AHL eligible next season, or is this another horvat situation where he either makes the team or wastes a year?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
is he AHL eligible next season, or is this another horvat situation where he either makes the team or wastes a year?

NHL or WHL. But unlike Bo I don't think another season in junior would be a waste for Jake. While I think NHL might be better for him, he could still benefit from a year of being the top offensive option for the Hitmen after Tambellini and Rankin graduate.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

Oooh boy I love when this management team says they have a young guy "penciled in." Worked great with Vey last year. They should probably stop talking about pencils.

I've watched the handful of televised games that constitute most people's exposure to Virtanen this season. I don't see a player who can play in a bottom 6 role next year. Very poor in his own zone, no PK experience, poor play away from the puck. Predictable when he has the puck. He has so far to go to be able to use his (admittedly very impressive) physical tools to their maximum. He needs another year of junior. If his usage in Calgary really is hurting him then the Canucks need to force a trade the way the Oilers did for Draisaitl. But if they shoehorn him into the NHL lineup next season it's going to be bad for his development and it's going to turn a lot of the posters here into haters when they watch him struggle all year.

And the whole "his game will translate better in the pros" is a sop that fanbases say about every struggling prospect. It's not real.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
I've never really been blown away by Virtanen from the very limited games I've seen of him this year. WJC and a few junior games on SHAW.

From all the games that I've watched, he just doesn't seem to process the game that well in terms of where he needs to go on the ice. I would love to be wrong of course but I don' see him making the team next year.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Will definitely be interesting to see how his situation plays out over the next year. Hopefully he can get in some games in Utica and we can see how he handles pro hockey.

But I agree with the above, it's usually not a good sign when prospects are essentially penciled into a spot before they actually earn it, so hopefully the Canucks aren't going that route.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Pencils have an eraser for a reason:rolly:

We'll see if he gets any games for Utica. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't play a game though.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
It's the same thing that every junior player faces. IMO Jake's game should translate well to bigger, stronger players as it will allow him to play his physical game without getting called for penalties every second hit.

I think Jake's offensive game will take a bit longer as he adapts to the higher pace of the game. But his offensive game in junior was never based on being bigger and stronger than the other team (unlike a guy like Ritchie) but rather his speed and shot. Once he figures out how to use those tools at the NHL level - something that could well take 2-3 seasons just like Chris Kreider - I think we'll have an effective top 6 player.
Or Virtanen will be frustrated because he can't knock men down as easily as he did against boys in junior.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
NHL or WHL. But unlike Bo I don't think another season in junior would be a waste for Jake. While I think NHL might be better for him, he could still benefit from a year of being the top offensive option for the Hitmen after Tambellini and Rankin graduate.

the problem for me with this is that once they r gone, is Calgary still a contender? if no, i have a weird feeling that Jake's point totals might take a hit again when they r not as good as this yr unless they bring in good replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad