Player Discussion Jake Virtanen (MOD WARNING POST 755)

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I'll take Bennett over Virtanen at this point, A) he plays down the middle and could replace the void of a 3rd line center that we currently don't have (sorry Sutter and Beagle) and B) Bennett just seems to have more of a drive than JV does, especially in the playoffs when it matters most. Give Bennett some PP opportunities and shuffle him up and down the line-up and there's a chance you'll find a player who's Top-6 material and can be called upon in most situations. I'll take that over a guy who's been given opportunity after opportunity and never taken the reigns as a legit Top-6 talent. Bennett has never really been given that chance in Calgary.
Are you related?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I said he has played 26 professional playoff games.

10 in the AHL
+
16 in the NHL.
=
26 professional games.

I don’t fudge stats unlike some people.
So, you're adding the 10 AHL games, (after his WHL season). to exaggerate your point...To what extent did he play in those games?

He's played 16 NHL playoff games ..Bennetts played 30.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Why do we want Bennett? He takes just as many dumb penalties as Jake, and doesn't have the defensive IQ to slot into the 3rd line C.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Why do we want Bennett? He takes just as many dumb penalties as Jake, and doesn't have the defensive IQ to slot into the 3rd line C.
If Craig Button's opinion means anything, the Flames would do a Bennett for Virtanen swap in a heartbeat. Virtanan is a far superior player.

Reactions: Luckylarry

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Since when has JV played in 26 playoff games.?.you joker...You also have to bring your game in the regular season as well, which Bennett has not..(I think you have a problem with your caps lock?)

OK then how about...Virtanen for his career is a 27 point/82 game pace and Bennett 28 point/82 game pace. Bennett with pretty even regular season performance and superior playoff performance.

But to be fair, you are correct the playoff stats for Virtanen are wrong. It's actually 4 points in 26 professional playoff games not 3.

Not a huge Bennett fan but I'd take him over Virtanen simply for lineup flexibility reasons. At this point, however, I'd prefer neither.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC

It's a fresh start for both players, and I'd take a guy who can play up the middle and could possibly play the wing as well and is a much more consistent performer.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if Bennett has ever been given a fair shake in Calgary since he came in, whereas Jake has been given Top-6 opportunities time and time again and squandered them.

I think it could work out for both teams.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
OK then how about...Virtanen for his career is a 27 point/82 game pace and Bennett 28 point/82 game pace. Bennett with pretty even regular season performance and superior playoff performance.

But to be fair, you are correct the playoff stats for Virtanen are wrong. It's actually 4 points in 26 professional playoff games not 3.

Not a huge Bennett fan but I'd take him over Virtanen simply for lineup flexibility reasons.
No argument from me that Bennett has had better playoff stats (and he has played in twice as many), but his regular season stats have been regressing...Excluding this start to the season, Jakes have been improving.

From what I have been reading from Calgary fans, the guy is an empty sweater most nights.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Meh, I see them both fizzling wherever they end up.

A motivated Jake is unpleasant to play against though, so I would rather ship him out East than have to see him in a Flames uni 8 times a year.

That team has enough Canucks.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It's a fresh start for both players, and I'd take a guy who can play up the middle and could possibly play the wing as well and is a much more consistent performer.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if Bennett has ever been given a fair shake in Calgary since he came in, whereas Jake has been given Top-6 opportunities time and time again and squandered them.

I’d be happy with Jake returning Bennett in trade too. But with Bennett not in the Flame’s lineup tonight, and Jake in ours I think Bennet is traded elsewhere. We are stuck with Jake, and for two more years unless we get a new GM.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Then again, it could also work out as well as passing on Tofoli and letting him to sign with the Habs. I wouldn't want Virtanen anywhere near a division rival like Calgary. Trade him to the Eastern Conference and grab a d-man, which is a much more critical need.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Bennett has been given loads of of opportunities to play in Calgarys top 6.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
It's funny, you look at how Josh Anderson on Montreal has turned his career around by refining his mindset and the way he attacks the game, and you look at Virtanen, who is basically Anderson with better wheels, and he just can't put it together.

Just goes to show how much matters between the ears.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Then again, it could also work out as well as passing on Tofoli and letting him to sign with the Habs. I wouldn't want Virtanen anywhere near a division rival like Calgary. Trade him to the Eastern Conference and grab a d-man, which is a much more critical need.

Only problem with that being that with COVID it would be two weeks before we could insert said D-men into the line-up.

I'm on board with bringing in another anchor on the right side.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No argument from me that Bennett has had better playoff stats (and he has played in twice as many), but his regular season stats have been regressing...Excluding this start to the season, Jakes have been improving.

From what I have been reading from Calgary fans, the guy is an empty sweater most nights.

They are very similar empty sweaters. Neither team should be concerned with moving them.

Reactions: MarkMM

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's funny, you look at how Josh Anderson on Montreal has turned his career around by refining his mindset and the way he attacks the game, and you look at Virtanen, who is basically Anderson with better wheels, and he just can't put it together.

Just goes to show how much matters between the ears.

Was it refining his mindset or simply a player who had a heck of a slump following a 27 goal season returning to form?

Reactions: timw33

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Was it refining his mindset or simply a player who had a heck of a slump following a 27 goal season returning to form?

That season was the first time he eclipsed 20 goals and still hasn't reached 50 points. Some could perceive that season to be what Jake experienced last year on a bigger scale.

From what I gathered when Columbus traded Anderson it was more than just a slump.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Willie D didn’t trust Jake.
Green doesn’t trust Jake.
Will Jake get a third coach here (or will that be elsewhere?) and will that coach not trust Jake?

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
if he is going to salvage his career he will need to disappear somewhere like the Islanders or Panthers where there is no fanbase to hound after him.

Even then, career third liner if and only if everything falls perfectly in place for him from here on out.

Odds are, he's playing in Europe by 2022-2023 (imo).

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I have been doing a long hard think about it.

Virtanen is one of the most unlikeable Canuck players in recent memory.

I actually think the opposite, Virtanen is one of most likeable players in recent memory. Reason because he is a local boy.

Over the years you had people saying next Bertuzzi/Neely, better than Ehlers/Nylander, he is built for the playoffs even Virtanen has never played well in the playoffs at any level. Virtanen never played like a power forward before or show any signs of being better than Ehlers/Nylander.

Only reason I can think is fans like Virtanen. If you like a player, that might actually influence your perception of that player and think he is better player that he really is.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I actually think the opposite, Virtanen is one of most likeable players in recent memory. Reason because he is a local boy.

Over the years you had people saying next Bertuzzi/Neely, better than Ehlers/Nylander, he is built for the playoffs even Virtanen has never played well in the playoffs at any level. Virtanen never played like a power forward before or show any signs of being better than Ehlers/Nylander.

Only reason I can think is fans like Virtanen. If you like a player, that might actually influence your perception of that player and think he is better player that he really is.
Jake appears to be a likeable person, but he’s a terrible National League player.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

most of the people who said that on here were just fans of Benning holding out hope that Virtanen would bring the great awakening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad