Player Discussion Jake Virtanen (MOD WARNING POST 755)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Last night's game just adds to the Virtanen frustration....if the guy comes out motivated and hungry, and finishes his checks, he can be a very effective third line forward at the very least.

But unfortunately if history is any guide, that motivation might last for a game or two, before he slips back into cruise control. I suppose the Canucks will just have to learn to live with the 'good Jake' and the 'bad Jake' for the duration of his career with the Canucks.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I am glad I never hear people saying Virtanen is better than Ehlers or Nylander, next Bertuzzi or power forward takes longer to develop.

Benning should find a trade partner and just get rid of Virtanen.

Last edited:

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Anyone even consider swapping him for DeAngelo?

He's a headcase but a hell of a player, Virtanen is just a headcase.

Jake is not a headcase. He's not a motivated player and might be hard to "coach" but he's not even close to DeAngelo. Absolutely not even a conversation starter.

Reactions: I am toxic

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Why DeAngelo ? We need someone who can play good defence. Hughes provides enough offence here. We need someone like Tanev who is a good fit with Hughes.

Reactions: B-rock

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
If DeAngelo think Rangers twitter was tough wait till he has to deal with Canucks Twitter :laugh:
I wouldn't want DeAngelo, he's gotten too many chances to change and he hasn't.

I'm also scared about Miller, he seems like a guy heavily dependent on his environment.

Reactions: MarkMM

likash

Apr 17, 2019
I will not shed any tears if Millers snaps and beats some of those reporters asking stupid questions after the game. :D

Reactions: VancouverJagger

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I will not shed any tears if Millers snaps and beats some of those reporters asking stupid questions after the game. :D
The 'media' is the least of the problems for Miller and the Canucks. The only time they actually have to answer any questions is when they're sitting at a table for a post-game Zoom conference.

Other than that, the media has zero access to the players. So it's safe to say their interaction with reporters is a fraction of the time it was pre-Pandemic. So if they can't answer a few questions, stupid or otherwise for five minutes after a game, then they need a new line of work.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
3 way lease deal between Canucks, Bruins, and Flames - agreement to lease Virtanen, Ritchie, and Bennett to each other (can get player back for a 6th round pick). Ritchie seems to be doing the best right now so the Bruins might not be willing.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
If DeAngelo think Rangers twitter was tough wait till he has to deal with Canucks Twitter :laugh:
I wouldn't want DeAngelo, he's gotten too many chances to change and he hasn't.

I'm also scared about Miller, he seems like a guy heavily dependent on his environment.
Change? Can you send a guy to rehab for racism. How about for being conspiracy believer ?
What would that look like....Hello, my name is Tony..i'm a dirtbag.
Thank god we have nowhere near the cap space to get anywhere near that dude.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Since Jake almost never scores anymore, so we have no reason to shotgun anything, maybe we could change his nickname to 'Russia Jake':

Russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.
Winston Churchill

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Change? Can you send a guy to rehab for racism. How about for being conspiracy believer ?
What would that look like....Hello, my name is Tony..i'm a dirtbag.
Thank god we have nowhere near the cap space to get anywhere near that dude.
I mean, a lot of people on Reddit seem to think GME is still a good buy and believe in conspiracies that it's Wallstreet that's screwing them instead of their own beliefs. I think a lot of people who believe in conspiracies can change.

Racism, not as easy. I agree, we shouldn't be giving this guy ANOTHER chance.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
According to Dhaliwal, Vancouver doesn't have enough assets for Bennett.

Which means Jake isn't enough in the eyes of Calgary management.

Looks like the #1 option for unloading JV isn't there.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
According to Dhaliwal, Vancouver doesn't have enough assets for Bennett.

Which means Jake isn't enough in the eyes of Calgary management.

Looks like the #1 option for unloading JV isn't there.
Thats bizarre,..you mean that Sam Bennetts 8G 4A were more impressive than Jakes 18G 18A..?..I dont think that Bennett brings more than JV...Both players are notorious for having no show games.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Thats bizarre,..you mean that Sam Bennetts 8G 4A were more impressive than Jakes 18G 18A..?..I dont think that Bennett brings more than JV...Both players are notorious for having no show games.
Bennett has had a better and more consistent career without any doubt - both in the regular season and in the playoffs where I remember hearing this in 2014 and still hear it...

"BiG jV bEter Than SmaLL nYlandEREhlers CanTp PICk the Small Eurso"

Bennett has 19 points in 30 playoff games at a professional level while Virtanen has 3 points in 26 playoff games at a professional level.

Virtanen produced at an unsustainable level for a stretch and got rewarded for it. Schaller did it as well.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Bennett has had a better and more consistent career without any doubt - both in the regular season and in the playoffs where I remember hearing this in 2014 and still hear it...

Bennett has 19 points in 30 playoff games at a professional level while Virtanen has 3 points in 26 playoff games at a professional level.

Virtanen produced at an unsustainable level for a stretch and got rewarded for it. Schaller did it as well.

I'll take Bennett over Virtanen at this point, A) he plays down the middle and could replace the void of a 3rd line center that we currently don't have (sorry Sutter and Beagle) and B) Bennett just seems to have more of a drive than JV does, especially in the playoffs when it matters most. Give Bennett some PP opportunities and shuffle him up and down the line-up and there's a chance you'll find a player who's Top-6 material and can be called upon in most situations. I'll take that over a guy who's been given opportunity after opportunity and never taken the reigns as a legit Top-6 talent. Bennett has never really been given that chance in Calgary.

Reactions: sting101

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Since when has JV played in 26 playoff games.?.you joker...You also have to bring your game in the regular season as well, which Bennett has not..(I think you have a problem with your caps lock?)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He’s a cement head. Cant play with good players.

Such a waste of natural talent.
True. Sadly I think Jake’s new contract makes him have negative value. He’d need to be moved for another team’s similar guy. Would much rather get back picks, but (imo) no smart team will do that. There is Ottawa though. :)

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Since when has JV played in 26 playoff games.?.you joker...You also have to bring your game in the regular season as well, which Bennett has not..(I think you have a problem with your caps lock?)
I said he has played 26 professional playoff games.

10 in the AHL
+
16 in the NHL.
=
26 professional games.

I don’t fudge stats unlike some people.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'll take Bennett over Virtanen at this point, A) he plays down the middle and could replace the void of a 3rd line center that we currently don't have (sorry Sutter and Beagle) and B) Bennett just seems to have more of a drive than JV does, especially in the playoffs when it matters most. Give Bennett some PP opportunities and shuffle him up and down the line-up and there's a chance you'll find a player who's Top-6 material and can be called upon in most situations. I'll take that over a guy who's been given opportunity after opportunity and never taken the reigns as a legit Top-6 talent. Bennett has never really been given that chance in Calgary.
Great trade for us, but why would the Flames want Jake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad