Jake next alternate?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Wow.... you just argue to argue when it comes to me. Raffl has had a disastrous season. (one point in his last 19 games)
And with 4 minutes to go in a game and down a goal if Hakstol had PEB and VDV on the ice; you would be the first complaining. I don't know you but you literally go against your own beliefs just to debate me. You don't like PEB and have ripped him for months and now you are his agent. I am done with you today....

How many times do I have to repeat this.... I don't want either of them to be on the team, but that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about here.

I literally have not contradicted that even once, you need to read my posts if you're going to respond to them.

All I've said is that:

1) giving Bellemare an "A" is a non-issue

and

2) other GM's (NOT ME) would very likely take Bellemare on their team if he was available.
Many GMs have different mindsets/likes/dislikes than fans do. They see value in "character guys", and by all accounts Bellemare is, at the very least, a good character guy, even if he isn't useful on the ice.

And if you want people to stop arguing with you, it's simple, stop being wrong.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I played up to the ECHL level. If you really think that the only people on a team who can lead are people who put the puck in the net, then i wonder if you have ever played competitive sports.

You dont need to be a super star to be a good team guy. I'd never expect Bellemare to play at giroux's level. He's just not that talented. But that doesn't mean i won't listen to what he says in the room, or that i'll give it less weight. Being a leader requires a different set of skills that some players just dont have.

There's a pretty good reason players like Kane and Kessel don't wear letters.
Great post. He could lead by an exceptional work ethic that inspires teammates as well. I don't know why people on the outside get so upset about captains...

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
All the way from Allsvenskan through SHL to the NHL and Team Europe, also 5 years older, I would maybe even think that Bellemare has more experiences as a hockey player, also given the fact he was mostly leader on his European teams and the best player.

But anyway, this is pretty stupid to discuss. Players voted, they wanted him and that's what matters. I am very okay with this.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I have ripped Bellys play as much as anyone, but him getting the A I have zero issue with.

They obviously love the guy and what he does in the room, so all good. Captains in no way need to be your highest scorers.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I am also now more comfortable with Bellemare's new contract, if players think so highly of him, or if they respect him that much.

It's nice to see and therefore probably deserved signing. If he was not as much overused as he's now, he would have been regarded better on these boards, and also the fact that he's playing with Vandevelde.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
This just adds to my frustration with yesterday's Bellemare signing. Are there any more accolades this team can give to Bellemare to show how important and valued he is? Maybe give him a different-coloured helmet like in some Euro leagues?

Pierre-Edouard has highlighted his low-ceiling skill set this season, and is a marginal NHLer contributing significantly to the mediocrity of the Flyers. His inexplicable and statistically-obtuse overuse by Hakstol has been reinvigorated by the shiny new contract and now his visible status as a member of the player leadership.

Ron Hextall, you are slowly removing the bread from this poop sandwich of a season.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I have ripped Bellys play as much as anyone, but him getting the A I have zero issue with.

They obviously love the guy and what he does in the room, so all good. Captains in no way need to be your highest scorers.
Exactly. It's really not a big deal, and I'm 100% sure the other players are happy for him.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
If you guys can't see what Pebbles brings to this team I don't know what to tell you. Excellent decision from management to give him the "A".

b10

Jan 26, 2012
I was preparing myself for MacDonald to get the A due to being on the backend. I was prepared for it and told myself it was okay if it happened. Doesn't bother me what so ever that they gave this to Pierre-Edouard.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I played sports through college... And Jake Voracek is not listening to a 31 yr old guy who has 2+ NHL experience. Just like would not listen to a freshman when I was a senior. Please stop arguing... I am done with this thread. You guys are always right.

hes not? then I would be very disappointed in Jake. That would make him a bad teammate. more than just the players with a letter on their sweater speak up or give advise to a teammate.
I would bet Jake doesnt give a rats ass that he wasnt given the letter instead. He probably feels really good for PEB. It is a non issue anyway. you dont have to wear a letter to be a leader or have a voice in the room.
some of this stuff around here is just ridiculous

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I bet you wont do it :sarcasm:

Well we don't have to worry about that now lol.

I just need to worry about Mason bringing his GAA. down under 2.80 or I have to run through Times Square wearing nothing but green jello, per my promise at the start of the season lol

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This just adds to my frustration with yesterday's Bellemare signing. Are there any more accolades this team can give to Bellemare to show how important and valued he is? Maybe give him a different-coloured helmet like in some Euro leagues?

Pierre-Edouard has highlighted his low-ceiling skill set this season, and is a marginal NHLer contributing significantly to the mediocrity of the Flyers. His inexplicable and statistically-obtuse overuse by Hakstol has been reinvigorated by the shiny new contract and now his visible status as a member of the player leadership.

Ron Hextall, you are slowly removing the bread from this poop sandwich of a season.

He is actually a detriment on the ice if you look at every statistical measure.

I'm okay with role-players getting letters if they perform their role admirably, like Lappy did in Colorado for instance.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
This organization is delusional. Theres seriously something wrong with them.

Nothing against PEBs character...but people forget that the letters are meant for who talks to the refs. It should go to someone who players and refs fully respect...I just dont see PEB as that guy.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Do you really think PEB is more of a leader on this FLyers team over Couturier, Voracek, Schenn? You cant be a leader while being on the bench while down a goal.

Problem is when the Flyers are down a goal Hakstok usually puts the wonder twins on the ice.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The letter in itself is pointless regardless of who wears it. However this is just more evidence that they basically extended the guy to that awful deal because they like him as a person. It's classic example of NHL people way overvaluing intangibles over actual hockey skill.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Hextall and Hakstol have repeatedly told all who asked how much respect they have for Belly and what he does... which is what he is asked to do... For a Fourth Line Player -- at times a Third Line one -- he clocks decent TOI... and is trusted on the PK... and is a decent Energy Guy.

At the end of the praise I have heard Hextall say more than once, "and as good of a Player as he is on all that, he is a much better Person" (paraphrased)... It is a given that Belly is liked and respected by all in the Business.

Personally, I have liked him from Day One of watching him play... I believe that he has the Officials Respect and will have their ears -- I have not heard anything to the contrary -- I have no problem whatsoever with his getting the 'A'. While I only briefly thought about his getting it.. because I didn't think they would go that direction nor step up and name a Role Player as he is... I guess I'm not totally surprised by the move. I'd have selected Jake... but the 'A' could not have gone to a better guy; if the Flyers are happy with it, I don't see why there would be a problem with the Fans.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hextall and Hakstol have repeatedly told all who asked how much respect they have for Belly and what he does... which is what he is asked to do... For a Fourth Line Player -- at times a Third Line one -- he clocks decent TOI... and is trusted on the PK... and is a decent Energy Guy.

At the end of the praise I have heard Hextall say more than once, "and as good of a Player as he is on all that, he is a much better Person" (paraphrased)... It is a given that Belly is liked and respected by all in the Business.

Personally, I have liked him from Day One of watching him play... I believe that he has the Officials Respect and will have their ears -- I have not heard anything to the contrary -- I have no problem whatsoever with his getting the 'A'. While I only briefly thought about his getting it.. because I didn't think they would go that direction nor step up and name a Role Player as he is... I guess I'm not totally surprised by the move. I'd have selected Jake... but the 'A' could not have gone to a better guy; if the Flyers are happy with it, I don't see why there would be a problem with the Fans.

I don't think anyone is questioning Bellemare's quality as a person. He's just a terrible hockey player. He's twice the player VandeVelde is though.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Oh no, I don't think that's fair at all. I think they overvalue his actual hockey skill just as much as they overvalue his intangibles.

I think they overvalue it though because they like him as a person. They truly want to believe he's a better player than he actually is because of that.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
Honestly, I have an issue with terrible players being locker-room leaders. If you can't back up your words on the ice, then keep your ****ing mouth shut.

That's funny because I have a problem when teams name their most talented players captains

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I actually came into this thread to make a joke about PEB possibly getting it only to be one upped by reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad