Jake next alternate?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This just adds to my frustration with yesterday's Bellemare signing. Are there any more accolades this team can give to Bellemare to show how important and valued he is? Maybe give him a different-coloured helmet like in some Euro leagues?

Pierre-Edouard has highlighted his low-ceiling skill set this season, and is a marginal NHLer contributing significantly to the mediocrity of the Flyers. His inexplicable and statistically-obtuse overuse by Hakstol has been reinvigorated by the shiny new contract and now his visible status as a member of the player leadership.

Ron Hextall, you are slowly removing the bread from this poop sandwich of a season.

This is pretty much in line with my frustrations.

Hextall is proving himself to vastly overvalue aging "character" veterans.

The team is going nowhere with its veteran core. If they are going to contend, it's going to be in a few years on the backs of younger players & prospects.

But Hextall can't seem to shake his love of mediocre to poor experienced vets who are good off the ice, but blow on the ice.

I couldn't care less if Bellemare wears an A -- frankly, he better based on that contract. But how much does his character really help this non-contending team?

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I played sports through college... And Jake Voracek is not listening to a 31 yr old guy who has 2+ NHL experience. Just like would not listen to a freshman when I was a senior. Please stop arguing... I am done with this thread. You guys are always right.

Lol, thanks for loving you know absolutely nothing with this post.

antman12

Nov 27, 2016
I was hoping it would have been Provorov. It's inevitable that he'll wear at least an A, might as well given him the experience over the last 20 games.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I don't think they wanted to give any unneeded responsibility to any of the young guys. There's plenty of time for the ones who'll earn it.

To answer the question of the thread though, no, I wouldn't come close to giving it to Jake. Nothing against him, there's just better leaders out there in the lineup.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Florida lost tonight because their captain is a 4th liner.

That's how important these letters are.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I don't think anyone is questioning Bellemare's quality as a person. He's just a terrible hockey player. He's twice the player VandeVelde is though.

I didn't mean to suggest that anyone was saying or thinking that... I was merely commenting on what Hextall and Hakstol... and probably his Teammates thought of him... and with that, maybe one reason he was considered. I believe being a quality person is one criteria of Leadership on Sports Teams.

With that said, he is not a terrible hockey Player... it is just your opinion that he is... and you are allowed to have a different opinion from all those hockey professionals in the Organization and the Hockey Pundits. He does his job... he may not be an $8M Player, but he does what's asked of him... and now he is an Official Leader of the Team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I didn't mean to suggest that anyone was saying or thinking that... I was merely commenting on what Hextall and Hakstol... and probably his Teammates thought of him... and with that, maybe one reason he was considered. I believe being a quality person is one criteria of Leadership on Sports Teams.

With that said, he is not a terrible hockey Player... it is just your opinion that he is... and you are allowed to have a different opinion from all those hockey professionals in the Organization and the Hockey Pundits. He does his job... he may not be an $8M Player, but he does what's asked of him... and now he is an Official Leader of the Team.

Statistically he is actually the worst forward in the NHL over the past 2 seasons.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ahhh the numbers game, huh?... Those statistics are based on fourth line forwards and Pkers I suppose.

... Well, Hextall just re-signed the worse statistical Goalie -- based on minimum 25 GP -- so why not have a set pair? :sarcasm:

Nope he is worst among ALL forwards lol. I think VdV does drag him down though. He is basically playing every shift on 5v4 since VdV is utterly useless.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think Bellemare was really good during that 10 game winning streak when he was on a line with Read and Lyubimov I believe.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Nope he is worst among ALL forwards lol. I think VdV does drag him down though. He is basically playing every shift on 5v4 since VdV is utterly useless.

What I was sarcastically alluding to is that such Stats cannot definitely rate the play of Role Players who are selected by the Coach for a specific purpose... Hak sends out Belly to accomplish what he determines is required... and Belly apparently meets the task... statistics be damned.

The numbers game is used for whatever people want tit to be used... but in the end it is the users choice to interpret them as needed and discard them where not.

Exactly what Statistics can be used to determine if Belly is doing his Role efficiently? While I appreciate the use of Statistics, I do not consider them the be all end all when it comes to Sports Playing. JMO

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
What I was sarcastically alluding to is that such Stats cannot definitely rate the play of Role Players who are selected by the Coach for a specific purpose... Hak sends out Belly to accomplish what he determines is required... and Belly apparently meets the task... statistics be damned.

The numbers game is used for whatever people want tit to be used... but in the end it is the users choice to interpret them as needed and discard them where not.

Exactly what Statistics can be used to determine if Belly is doing his Role efficiently? While I appreciate the use of Statistics, I do not consider them the be all end all when it comes to Sports Playing. JMO

Impressive Freudian nip slip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad