Jake Guentzel vs Jordan Staal

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Better or more productive? More productive is definitely Guentzel. Better is a tougher call to make because Staal's an absolute two-way beast.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

It's not that complicated Dom. What does he mean by "better"?

I'm confident that Guentzel will score more, but equally convinced that Staal will be better defensively, a center that faces tougher competition, and will likely have better possession numbers. So when he says "better", what specifically does he mean?

Edit: this is the problem with polls about very dissimilar players. Comparing a scoring winger to a shutdown center makes little sense to me.

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Staal put up 45 points in 75 games last season. In comparison, Guentzel had 54 points in 65 games. Per 82 games that's a 49 vs 68 point pace

Guentzel probably hits 70+ points this season, while Staal is more likely to decline away from 50 points

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Staal put up 45 points in 75 games last season. In comparison, Guentzel had 54 points in 65 games. Per 82 games that's a 49 vs 68 point pace

Guentzel probably hits 70+ points this season, while Staal is more likely to decline away from 50 points

Playing with Crosby will do that. Staal is a good player.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Guentzel.

People like to dismiss whatever he's done because he plays with Sid, while ignoring that he's done things that none of Sid's other wingers ever have.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Staal because he's far more proven. Guentzel puts up another top line caliber season then him.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
It's not that complicated Dom. What does he mean by "better"?

I'm confident that Guentzel will score more, but equally convinced that Staal will be better defensively, a center that faces tougher competition, and will likely have better possession numbers. So when he says "better", what specifically does he mean?

Edit: this is the problem with polls about very dissimilar players. Comparing a scoring winger to a shutdown center makes little sense to me.

He didn't ask for "better offensively" or "better defensively," he asked for "better." So take every aspect of the player and find who is overall the better hockey player.

It's been the same for this entire poll series, BBA.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Difficult one cause i love Staal, but im also a fan of Guentzel.. on the other hand im not a fan of ranking kids with less than 1 full season under their belts over seasoned veterans in their prime like Staal.

Guentzel would have to outproduce Staal by a significant margin for me to consider him better, and he can absolutely do it. Im just not sure should i expect 60 points, or 70+.

I guess because he's probably going to earn his spot alongside Sid again and thus the potential for big things is there, im going to go with Guentzel.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He didn't ask for "better offensively" or "better defensively," he asked for "better." So take every aspect of the player and find who is overall the better hockey player.

It's been the same for this entire poll series, BBA.

You still aren't answering a very basic question. "Better" is a very subjective term, particularly when comparing players that play different positions and I'm simply trying to get clarification to make it less subjective. Staal will very likely be measurably better defensively, a better possession player, face tougher competition and is a center. Guentzel will very likely be measurably superior offensively. So for example, if Guentzel scores 60 points playing on a top line and PP and Staal plays as a center against the toughest competition and is outstanding defensively and scores 50, who is "better" and why?

More simply put, what level of scoring advantage would Guentzel need to achieve to overcome the fact that Staal is a center and will likely be superior in many other aspects of the game?

Is 5 points enough? Is 10? is 15? Is 20?

Simple question. Easy to say "Just better based on all aspects", but it's meaningless without explaining what one means.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
As much as I love Guentzel, I have to go with Staal. That's not a knock on Guentzel, but more of a testament to how dominant Staal is.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
The more productive player will probably be Guentzel,mainly because he plays with Sid on a more productive offensive team. Staal is the better player overall player tho IMO

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Production wise, Guentzel.

I anticipate Staal having a great season, his usual two-way beast self, and playing a big part in Carolina returning to the playoffs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is a difficult comparison because you're comparing 2 completely different types of players that play different positions and have different roles. Like is a 1st line offensive winger better than a 2nd line 2-way center? At what point does position and defensive play take hold over production?

The Penguins have had both Staal and Guentzel at one point. I think Penguins fans know how capable Staal is of being a top-6 center, seeing what he did in 2012 when Crosby was out. I wouldn't trade one for the other, regardless of which one I had.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Difficult question to answer. In the one hand, you've got a center who can go out there with any two jabronis against any opposition and win the minutes most of the time. In the other hand, you have a wing who is likely to outscore the first guy by 20-50%.

I'm not entirely certain how you balance the one against the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad