Value of: Jake Guentzel as a rental

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
The thing everyone is forgetting is Guentzel brings over the aura of Sid. That alone is worth an extra 1st round pick. High IQ player that learned a lot of tricks from the highest IQ player since Gretzky. He already has a cup. He plays with Sid. Brilliantly. If your were Guentzel would you instantly want to ask that team for all you could get? To do what? End up in San Jose?

I'm dead serious.
Jake is consistently good each year. Plays in the hard areas and produces points each season. But the real selling point is how well he plays regardless of his center. He is great with Sid and maybe even better with Geno. Both centers love to play with him on their wing.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Jake is consistently good each year. Plays in the hard areas and produces points each season. But the real selling point is how well he plays regardless of his center. He is great with Sid and maybe even better with Geno. Both centers love to play with him on their wing.
Barring Kevin Stevens in his prime years, Jake Guentzel is the best LW to ever play for the Pens franchise.

Even though HFBoards wants him traded, and to be fair he's the only valuable trade piece the Pens have, the org has already showed their cards and will continue to make a run for it with 87+71+58+65. May as well add 59 - Jake will get extended. And he's more than earned the payday.

Reactions: Jacob

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Barring Kevin Stevens in his prime years, Jake Guentzel is the best LW to ever play for the Pens franchise.

Even though HFBoards wants him traded, and to be fair he's the only valuable trade piece the Pens have, the org has already showed their cards and will continue to make a run for it with 87+71+58+65. May as well add 59 - Jake will get extended. And he's more than earned the payday.

The thing is - it's not entirely up to us. I agree with the premise here but there are young(er) teams with good C's in need of a guy like Jake.

In an open market, can we spend more than Chicago, Vancouver, Florida etc.? We have the 8th year option of course, but are we sure the org even wants to do that - because that's the only way I see we can outspend a good...10 teams this Summer. Pretty sure every NHL club could use a guy like Guentzel.

So, if he stays it's going to be a combination of really hammering how much he likes it here and giving him the 8th year. Hopefully it would mean extended years of Sid as well.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Wonder if one of these young clubs might splash early on him in order to have his rights for 8 years.

Seems logical... If you have a young C and want that wing - Guentzel is a prime target to go ahead and give 8 years to at a lower cap hit for compete-reasons versus fighting over him in the Summer at awful numbers in the 7 year range. Years 7 and 8 are going to be a complete crap shoot anyway so might as well be for the lowest % of the cap along the way.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I doubt that they'll be bad enough to be clearly out at the TDL unfortunately. I'd love them to move Jake @ 50% retained for a huge haul then sign him in the summer like they did w/ Recchi back in 2006.

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Just looking at lines on DailyFaceoff, Jake would be a top 6 upgrade on basically every PO team in the league. If he's available @ 3M he'd get a haul.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Just looking at lines on DailyFaceoff, Jake would be a top 6 upgrade on basically every PO team in the league. If he's available @ 3M he'd get a haul.
Jake is one of the most underrated LW's on this board. I', sure there are tons of dumb posters that would refuse to acknowledge that. "Nu uh! Ma 20gol scurer is better dan ur 40goul scurer! No way we trade a draft pick for him!"

I think if the Penguins are willing to retain a bit, there's quite a haul to be made. A lot of those teams could use a nice boost in goal as well. Something like Jake @50% + Nedjelkovich for a haul + the other teams struggling goalie would net us a greater return as well. I think there's a lot of ways Dubas could play this.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Almost no chance Dubas trades Jake, But if Dubas is blown away with an offer, then it is a easier sell in the room. But if you ask me I move him since Pens need to not only add talent in the system but also can't continue to get older. Sullivan with his playing marginal players vs developing younger players taking risks and maybe getting better. If Jake goes it has to be for a decent young winger with some grit and upside.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I’m struggling to come up with a recent comp for a meaningful roster player for a rental. I don’t think a Hartman (for Simmonds) really qualifies.

A reroute of a high pick has happened quite a bit, though. The Shattenkirk 1st was used in the Schenn trade. The Hayes pick was flipped for Trouba. Just last year, the Canucks sent the Horvat pick for Hronek in season. Also, Gavrikov and Korpisalo in part turned into Provorov.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Maybe I’m hopeful he returns, but re-signing Guentzel should not be a problem with the cap increase they’re projecting and Carter coming off the books. Easy to offer him [email protected] per year.

Sid stays away from the business aspect but can fully see him stepping in for Guentzel as he did for Letang and Malkin

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Maybe I’m hopeful he returns, but re-signing Guentzel should not be a problem with the cap increase they’re projecting and Carter coming off the books. Easy to offer him [email protected] per year.

Sid stays away from the business aspect but can fully see him stepping in for Guentzel as he did for Letang and Malkin

Obviously risky he could just resign where ever else he goes, but wouldn’t trading him for a ton and then resigning him in the offseason be the best move?

That scenario is gaining less and less traction though because the Pens are playing well and they won’t trade him at all if they are close to contention.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Reported Dubas is seeing what he has this year before signing Jake. Lets say pens miss playoffs and now to fix the issues it is more than a 9 or 10 million contract for 8 years in which jake may play 2 more with Sid. they may not trade him unless Pens are really behind the 8 ball here. My guess is dubas wants to keep more options available to upgrade the roster with 18 million of cap space.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If we can get max retention, even a homer/hater like me would be willing to meet some of these requests from some Pens fans.

A first, a roster player (mostly for cap, I'm sure) and a prospect? Its a lot, but that's about the going rate. I'd be willing to toss a second in too, for the retention and to make the offer stand out some.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Good offer. I accept.

I think the 2025 1st is key. I think if they sell a bit, they will be in the bottom 10 which transfers the Karlsson trade 1st to 2025. So a replacement 1st there would be nice.
Lysell isn't a true grade A prospect. I mean he didn't even make the ravaged Bruins forward core this year screaming for upgrades. And a first in 2025 and another B/C prospect? If this is the best offer for Guentzel, the Penguins will just re-sign him. And that first will be low--Boston with Guentzel will keep on winning.

My Best-Carey

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Pens are trending in the right direction, I imagine they'll be in a playoff spot by the deadline. So I don't see them trading him at this point.

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
What would it cost from the Canucks' end? There've been Canucks media guys talking about the Canucks being interested in Guentzel (over the last few weeks) if the Pens were to put him on the block. Rutherford and Allvin have previously worked with Guentzel already so there's the connection there. With The Athletic article today stating

"Pittsburgh Penguins star Jake Guentzel and Buffalo Sabres forward Jordan Greenway are two names that we’re keeping an eye on in connection with the Canucks. Guentzel is a 29-year-old winger playing a major role on one of the most productive lines in hockey for a Penguins team that is still very much in the Wild Card mix in the Eastern Conference. He’s a player that Rutherford, Allvin and Tocchet have a good deal of familiarity with going back to their days in Pittsburgh, and is highly regarded by both Canucks management and coaching staff."

and further below the article it says

"If the team decides to go big, then the Canucks’ 2024 first-round pick and some of their top prospects — but, based on our sense of the matter, probably not World Junior Championship MVP Jonathan Lekkerimäki and 2023 first-round pick Tom Willander — would have to in play."

Since Guentzel makes $6m this year, we'd probably have to offload Kuzmenko back (5m for another year and a half).

To Pittsburgh:
- Andrei Kuzmenko
- Hunter Brzustewicz (Arguably our best D prospect outside of Willander)
- 2024 1st?

To Vancouver:
- Jake Guentzel

Thoughts? Before Canucks' fans come at me, Guentzel is a 2x 40 goal scorer (at a sustainable rate) and is on pace this season to score 40 goals whilst eclipsing the ppg / near ppg mark several times in his career already and is a proven playoff performer (58 points in 58 games)

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Kuz and Hoglander, I know Canucks fans love Hoglander though.

Think he has the intangibles to mesh with Crosby.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
A 1st, prospect and roster player tends to be the usual basis for these deals, and since the Pens are kind of still competing, I imagine Kuzmenko might be an attractive piece if they think they can get him back to a top line scorer, though he doesn’t seem like a Sullivan type player if he can’t play for Tocchet. There was some rumblings about Garland to Pitts before, so maybe that would be the other roster player if not Kuzmenko.

But realistically, the Canucks should make the playoffs, so the pick wouldn’t be overly high, and I think the Pens would only really want to trade Guentzel if they can get a decent futures package. That means probably a solid prospect and I’m not sure if Van has one they’d want if they’re not giving up Lekkerimaki or Willander

Reactions: Jacob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad