Value of: Jake Guentzel as a rental

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Kuzmenko who was a recent HS at 27 is one of your better young players? You might want to mention that in the Kuzmenko thread where literally no one agrees with that.

Funny you mention Hossa and Kovalchuk. Guentzel is outpacing BOTH for points compared to the years they were traded (Hossa 08, Kovy 10). He's out pacing Hossa in goals and is basically right at that same Kovalchuk pace. So...actually, those two both make good comparisons in the value the Penguins should be able to get.

Especially considering what Horvat recently went for...
Late reply I agree with how you value Jake but the people who bash Kuzmenko, all do respect to them are flat out wrong. I mean he wasn't a fit in Tochett's system but he's a guy that will likely be a guy that flirts with 30/70. I think he was getting better and while the short-term was painful, Tochett really did have his best intentions at heart and Kuzmenko was a trooper the entire time.
I still think there's a chance he ends up in Vancouver but Mikheyev would have to go the other way, or Myers if a dman was also involved, granted not sure what RHD that would be.

As for value and let me state I think Jake is a stud but he's likely being dealt as a rental and the fact he's a winger is something that plays a role.
With the familiarity of our management and coach I don't think an extension is out of the question but as a rental Mikheyev a guy who dubas loves and has value, a 2025 1st, and a 2026 3rd and a middling prospect is something that sounds fair.

Extended I mean a 1st and Lekkerimaki + should definitely be on the table and with Mikheyev off the books that gives the nucks 45 million in cap space plus whatever the cap goes up to but with EP, Hronek, Lindholm and Jake probably taking 35 that's gonna mean a lot of holes plugged by ELC's and bargain bin players.

Forward wise we at least have Podz, Raty, Bains, but on D we lose Cole, Zads Myers, leaving like 7 million or less to fill 3-4 spots on D.

But Christ

JT, Brock, EP, Lindholm, Jake, Hoglander, is a hell of a top 6.
Garland, Podz, Suter
Raty, Bains, Amann is potentially a good bottom six
But
Quinn, Hronek, Soucy, Juulsen, X X downgrades us at our weakest area and the entire lineup is a lot less experienced.

Edit sorry I realize this was not the thread to post all of this, I tend to ramble, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad