Jake Gardiner's next contract value?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I just hope they don't try to bridge his contract. Just sign him to an 8 year ~32M deal. He gets $ecurity, Leafs get a player who will be underpaid for at least 6 of the 8 years.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here
The way Gardiner was skating last game was beautiful. He was just flying by the Ottawa players
10 seconds of Gardiner > 10 years of Senators

Lupul and Gardiner for Beauchemin LOL Burke you ****ing genius

This guys gonna break out this year

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
The way Gardiner was skating last game was beautiful. He was just flying by the Ottawa players

He's a better skater than point producer.

I kept thinking "Man he's a nice skater, but such wasted movements"

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
He's a better skater than point producer.

I kept thinking "Man he's a nice skater, but such wasted movements"

In the preseason he's on pace for 41 points over 82 games :sarcasm:

On a serious note, I think he has figured out how to use his skating to produce scoring chances, something he couldn't seem to do consistently early in his NHL career. If you'd like proof of this, make reference to the playoffs or how he has played this preseason.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
In the preseason he's on pace for 41 points over 82 games :sarcasm:

On a serious note, I think he has figured out how to use his skating to produce scoring chances, something he couldn't seem to do consistently early in his NHL career. If you'd like proof of this, make reference to the playoffs or how he has played this preseason.

I've seen it improving. But I still see the ol 2 laps round the net when passing lanes are already open. He could be much more economical if he learned to move the puck earlier.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
Although he is not a defensive stalwart quite yet, he still is probably the best on our team for the reason that he neutralizes pressure by making smart plays when he does get the puck in our zone.

IMO he's already the best defenceman on our team.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I've seen it improving. But I still see the ol 2 laps round the net when passing lanes are already open. He could be much more economical if he learned to move the puck earlier.

I agree that he could afford to be a bit more conservative with his play neutral zone play, and make the entry into the offensive zone more of a team affair.

I don't however think this is going to affect his point totals, because whether he takes laps or not, he rarely turns over the puck. These habits also seem to be things that are shaken with experience.

My hope is that Jake put up about 10 goals and 30 assists, and signs an 8 year, 4.5 million dollars a year contract.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I agree that he could afford to be a bit more conservative with his play neutral zone play, and make the entry into the offensive zone more of a team affair.

I don't however think this is going to affect his point totals, because whether he takes laps or not, he rarely turns over the puck. These habits also seem to be things that are shaken with experience.

My hope is that Jake put up about 10 goals and 30 assists, and signs an 8 year, 4.5 million dollars a year contract.

4.5 for 8 years if someone just puts up 40 points seems pretty low. Shattenkirk just signed for 4.25M IIRC and the cap is going up more. So I assume Gardiner would want more especially at that term. Although I think if he puts up 40 pts, he and Shattenkirk are good comparables.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
4.5 for 8 years if someone just puts up 40 points seems pretty low. Shattenkirk just signed for 4.25M IIRC and the cap is going up more. So I assume Gardiner would want more especially at that term. Although I think if he puts up 40 pts, he and Shattenkirk are good comparables.

I agree he may want more in negotiations. None of us really know how Jake will be in said situation though.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

I wouldnt reverse that trade for a second but Beauchemin just finished 4th in norris voting. He is a great player signed to a great contract.
That trade is very overrated by our fanbase. A true win-win trade.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
I wouldnt reverse that trade for a second but Beauchemin just finished 4th in norris voting. He is a great player signed to a great contract.
That trade is very overrated by our fanbase. A true win-win trade.

This. Beauch has been great for Anaheim. He would be great on the Leafs too, but we already have two D-men that are the same style in Gunnarsson and Ranger, Beauch just does it at a bit higher level is all.

**** the bridge contract with Gards, if he is great again he'll have had 2 very good seasons under his belt as well as at least one good playoff run too. Give him the 6/7/8 year deal for the 4-5 million and call it a day

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
unless he puts up norris numbers, I think a two year deal makes sense. similar to Kadri. again, depending how well he does this year.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Didn't see a proper thread for this.. what do you guys see as Jake's point output if Franson sits out/gets traded?

Jake is a lock for the 1st PP unit if Franson doesn't start and Rielly doesn't make the team. So in that case I would expect about 45 points.

BayStreetBullies*

Although he is not a defensive stalwart quite yet, he still is probably the best on our team for the reason that he neutralizes pressure by making smart plays when he does get the puck in our zone.

IMO he's already the best defenceman on our team.

You mean the best after Phaneuf, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad