Jake Gardiner's next contract value?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I realize this sounds like a long time from now however it's something I have been wondering. After this season it will be the end of Jake Gardiner's entry level contract, so the question is what new type of contract should he expect to get? Will Dave Nonis want to give him a bridge one like he just gave Nazem Kadri or should Gardiner get a little more years and term? I bring that up because during his rookie season in 2011-2012 he played 75 games and by all accounts he was a great surprise that year. I know the concussion he had last season and played more games than he thought in the AHL and he has to still play this upcoming season. Let's also remember it's hard to compare Gardiner and Kadri based on Kadri's bridge contract since he is a Forward and Gardiner is a Defensman. So based on all of that where do you see Gardiner's value going forward?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I guess we'll have to wait and base his value on our available cap space like we did with Kadri and are trying to do with Franson .

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
It'll really depend on this season. The Leafs will likely try to sign him to a bridge contract ala Kadri. Maybe a bit cheaper , 2 year / 5 million or something along that would be my guess.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Give him the Subban. Unless he puts up some mega points this year, which he might since he's skating around the rink like he's playing roller derby...

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
He hasn't done more than Subban during his time as a Leaf (before Subban's Norris year) so I see Nonis playing the leverage card and getting him to sign a 2 year bridge.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
I would sign Gardiner 7 years 4.25 but I don't know if he'd go for it.
Something along the lines of the JVR contract. I went to the Sabres game at the ACC and he is such a special player. The guy is going to be a stud for many years.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If he has the year I expect him to have, he's not gonna be cheap.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i'd like to see a JVR contract out of him.
a good enough hit for a player that if he doesn't play LIGHTS OUT is still impact-ish, with a cap hit that's tradeable (not to say we do this), but makes it so we've got a really good cap hit for 5-6 years. :)

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'm predicting a massive year from him (40+ points). Hopefully it's a long-term because he's an absolute stud.

What's a fair contract if he hits 40+ plus points? Which I assume he will also. Not sure he takes a bridge deal if he has a great season like that.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
If he puts up around 40 points I'd have no trouble with something like 8 years at 5 per. Not sure he'd take that though, probably would be looking for less term.

JGuardz

Dec 22, 2009
would lock him up for 3 yrs 3 million which lets us retain RFA rights for another year and he can really cash in, or something around max term for a bit more money (~4 million). I don't think a bridge contract is necessary, considering (if he plays well) he'll have already played 2 NHL seasons and playoffs at a good level.

The only way I see him getting a bridge contract like Kadri is if he's either lousy this year (hopefully not), or if he steps up and gets 50-60 points.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
would lock him up for 3 yrs 3 million which lets us retain RFA rights for another year and he can really cash in, or something around max term for a bit more money (~4 million). I don't think a bridge contract is necessary, considering (if he plays well) he'll have already played 2 NHL seasons and playoffs at a good level.

The only way I see him getting a bridge contract like Kadri is if he's either lousy this year (hopefully not), or if he steps up and gets 50-60 points.

it all depends on what nonis feels he can afford according to the cap.

Just like franson - nonis holds all the cards.

I think in reality we could have signed franson by now for what he wants and just
make a couple of roster moves but nonis is playing hardball part in parcel to show
guys like gardiner or other young players in that position that if you ask for too much we are [prepared to let you sit.

I think this franson standoff is more about the future young guns than it is about the here and now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I expect Gardiner to have a breakout season statistically in around 40 points..

Nonis will have his hands full trying to resign 1/2 the team this year.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
5 years at 3.8-4. Still alot of gains need to be made in the defensive zone. If he tidies things up, it could end up being a bargain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad