Jake Gardiner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delicious Dangles*

^ with an underwhelming, mistake prone partner in Franson
Yes, this is a point that should not be glossed over. Franson has been of NO help to Gardiner or any of his D partners this year. He has been atrocious defensively this year.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I think we have posters that think he is, and thus untouchable. This is why some posters overrate him here. It's becoming clear he will be nothing extraordinary offensively. I see 35-40 points max for Jake, he doesn't have the shot or instincts despite all the physical gifts to be a star offensive defenceman.

We know he isn't going to be a shutdown D, so what we have is a movable potential 3 or 4 guy that can be effective if paired with a strong defensive partner.

i see gardiner as a #2 but more like a guy who is the #3 guy and gets overrated because he isn't on the top unit... i see our top 4 looking like this:
Rielly-phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson

which is very good imo, but id trade Gardiner for a good top c 6 with potential to be #1 (but i kinda want to see what holland does)

crazyaces**

Franson!? No way. Ship Gunnarson. This guy is horrendous. I have no idea how he is making 3.5 mill per.

You are out to lunch! Gunnar had a rough couple games to start the year, just like everyone else. But he's already in mid-season form and has be terrific, one of our best dman. If you're looking at stats alone thinking thats the reason he hasn't been good thats unfair. He really only a 20+ point guy and will pot the odd goal. He steady defensively playing the top pair against the tough competition. Check your eyes buddy!

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
You are out to lunch! Gunnar had a rough couple games to start the year, just like everyone else. But he's already in mid-season form and has be terrific, one of our best dman. If you're looking at stats alone thinking thats the reason he hasn't been good thats unfair. He really only a 20+ point guy and will pot the odd goal. He steady defensively playing the top pair against the tough competition. Check your eyes buddy!

+1 .

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think we have posters that think he is, and thus untouchable. This is why some posters overrate him here. It's becoming clear he will be nothing extraordinary offensively. I see 35-40 points max for Jake, he doesn't have the shot or instincts despite all the physical gifts to be a star offensive defenceman.

We know he isn't going to be a shutdown D, so what we have is a movable potential 3 or 4 guy that can be effective if paired with a strong defensive partner.
Pretty respectable middle pairing guy if he's throwing up top 30-typw point totals.

Everyone is movable, so that doesn't matter. Seems like your going to one extreme trying to make a defense for your hate of the guy. The "established by 23" argument is flimsy at best.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Gardiner needs to be given the green light to go on the attack more. The problem with Carlyle doing that is, he needs to be paired with a D partner that can actually play strong defensively.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Gardiner needs to be given the green light to go on the attack more. The problem with Carlyle doing that is, he needs to be paired with a D partner that can actually play strong defensively.

Why does he need the greenlight? His priorty as a defensemen is NOT to go on the attack, that's the forward's job. His job is to get the puck away from the opposition, in other words defense first hence his job title, any offensive output is icing on the cake.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Why does he need the greenlight? His priorty as a defensemen is NOT to go on the attack, that's the forward's job. His job is to get the puck away from the opposition, in other words defense first hence his job title, any offensive output is icing on the cake.

He is a puck moving defense man (PMD). He has all the tools to be an effective attacking D. He looked really effective doing that against Boston in the playoffs!

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Jake is still learning the fine line between when to attack and when to hold off.

His breakout is amazing, he has so much poise in his own zone. Offensively, he creates a lot of chances, but just isn't getting any puck luck as of late.

He has arguably been our 2nd best dman this season though

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Are you sure Gardiner sticks around long enough? He might just be used as trade bait to bring in a true #1 centre.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Carlyle is really showing his trust in Gardiner, as his minutes have been up pretty high the last few games.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Maybe, but I doubt it.

Carlyle is really showing his trust in Gardiner, as his minutes have been up pretty high the last few games.

You also have to look at the flip side of the coin, he could also be show casing him for tradebait as well, usually when that occurs a GM will increase said players minutes. Not saying its going to happen, but you never know... for the right price anyone on this team is for sale.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Are you sure Gardiner sticks around long enough? He might just be used as trade bait to bring in a true #1 centre.

I'm willing to almost guarantee you he's not going anywhere for a #1 C. People need to realize the search is over. Locking down Bozak, and potentially Bolland and Kadri long term after this contract is the future of our C position. No one is trading 1st line elite center talent (except Boston apparently).

Baring Players in our own system earning a spot, I cannot see this team using assets on a center with potential. The cost would be too high and likely strip the team in other areas. If Kadri continues to develop into the PPG player he's looking like he can become, why waste assets for what you already have?

Delicious Dangles*

You also have to look at the flip side of the coin, he could also be show casing him for tradebait as well, usually when that occurs a GM will increase said players minutes. Not saying its going to happen, but you never know... for the right price anyone on this team is for sale.
This is a myth.

Coaches don't give some of the biggest minutes on the team to a player that they want gone just so they can "raise value".

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Who would be the Seabrook on that pairing? Seabrook is more like a Phaneuf type guy. Gardiner / Rielly aren't anything like Seabrook.

It would be Dion until Rielly proves he's a 1st pairing guy. We can only hope Rielly can be anything close to Kieth.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

You really think Nonis has a say on Carlyle's play time decisions?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

You may be right, but the Leafs are in a win-now mode and trying to make the playoffs. I doubt Carlyle is playing Gardiner just for the sake of "showcasing" him to increase his trade value.

If anything, playing Liles would be an example of "showcasing"

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Wouldn't be upset if Gardiner were traded for O'reilly, Couturier, or a D in the similar mould of Alzner/Seabrook.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The problem with trading Gardiner...

Is he doesn't make any money yet,so the guy you trade him for has to make about
1M also,and there are no star centers making that. Right now Franson looks to be the Dman most likely to get moved if possible and I doubt he fetches a good center. More and more it looks like we will have fix center via draft or next year.

How long is Bolland out for?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I've really enjoyed watching Jake's progression this year. I feel like half the time the puck leaves our zone is simply by him skating it past the blueline. Before the season started I was hoping he'd be a solid point producer, but I'm liking the more defensive version of him more.

Magundy Guy

Jun 2, 2009
I really think that the Leafs have possibly missed a chance to get a #1 or 2 center in Gardiner. Remember , Red Kelly , a pretty darned good center ,was first a d-man , and before becoming one of the franchises best all-time wingers Wendell Clarke was also , so it can be done. They have a jewel of a break-out d-man in Reilly , if they would just play him - not learning much up there in the pressbox - so it could be tried.
He has great vision , can skate so well and handles the puck well , although he sometimes scares the heck outa me when he skates out from behind Reimer or Bernier ,thru traffic , almost inviting disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad