Jake Gardiner pt II

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Gardiner is a top pairing defenseman 5v5.

He had a pretty horrific start to this season, even in the possession metrics, and I criticized him and the signing quite a lot at the time. But not only has he turned things around, but it's seemingly apparent that he's a very good 5v5 player in a more structured system like Horacek's. These are the GA60 numbers I posted in another thread, normalized for save percentage. Gardiner's has a very extremely unlucky 97% PDO this year, which is most of the reason he has a bad +/-.

Gardiner 2.35
Franson 2.53
Robidas 2.61
Polak 2.64
Rielly 2.72
Holzer 2.75
Phaneuf 2.80

And his usage adjusted Corsi numbers are extremely impressive and put him in very good company. You can go to ownthepuck.blogspot.com and look at some of our other d-men; aside from Rielly who's at a 1st pairing level in CF, none of our other d men are 1st pairing level in any category.

DaOkVga.jpg

And check out the ranking for our supposed 1D... LOL!

61M3Uo5.jpg

Time to eat a little bit of crow!

Is this for the season or since January?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Is this for the season or since January?

Whoops. They're actually from 2012-13 to 2014-15, so three seasons. My bad, I need to learn to read the fine print.

For just this year using >200 minutes as a cutoff, the ranks for usage adjusted CF% are

Franson 43 (1st pair)
Rielly 70 (high 2nd pair)
Phaneuf 95 (mid 2nd pair)
Gardiner 121st (borderline 2nd/3rd pairing)
Polak 149 (3rd pair)
Robidas 156 (3rd pair)

An explanation of usage adjusted Corsi is here:

http://ownthepuck.com/2014/12/02/usage-adjusted-possession-rates/

So Phaneuf is actually doing much better this year than the previous Carlyle seasons, probably due to playing on his natural side.

Although I will say it kind of works out the way I claimed in my post anyway, since 3 years is a much better sample size. ;)

Rufio65*

He's awesome! Another great game tonight from this stud!

3 years until he's out of this league.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He doesn't do much out there, for all his dipsy doodling he continues to create little offence out there. Only 14 points this season. Was beaten wide early despite being as fast or faster than Upshall. Mixed bag again.

leafstilldeath*

Played 23 minutes, wasn't on the ice for any goals against, and created some good offensive opportunities. He was pretty good.

Gards played pretty well tonight. Pissed me off when he missed a point blank chance (missed the net completely 10 feet away). Then I remembered the tank its cool :yo:

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
He doesn't do much out there, for all his dipsy doodling he continues to create little offence out there. Only 14 points this season. Was beaten wide early despite being as fast or faster than Upshall. Mixed bag again.
Beaten wide? That's the best you can do?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Beaten wide? That's the best you can do?

Forgot, he's not even playing to half his salary of 4.05 or 20.25M this year. 14 points, -21 is hard to make excuses for. Some of us warned against rewarding premature long term contracts when it was not necessary.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Forgot, he's not even playing to half his salary of 4.05 or 20.25M this year. 14 points, -21 is hard to make excuses for. Some of us warned against rewarding premature long term contracts when it was not necessary.

Try something new? Same old same old.

leafstilldeath*

Gardiner at 72% CF tonight. Hasn't had a game below 50% under Horachek.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I thought he played really well tonight. Gardiner just seems to be the whipping boy around here, which doesn't make sense to me. We have to be the only fanbase out there that has one of our best young players as their whipping boy.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
It's clear that Carlyle was Gardiner poison. He's clearly going to be the 2nd line LHD behind Rielly in the future. He has a fairly cheap contract, especially with the cap going up.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
He was fine tonight but to the posters above - he does regularly get beaten to the outside and by inferior players (skating wise). He doesn't time his turns properly or something.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

So much for trading Gardiner to sign Franson eh?

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
hot garbage, is he paid for offence (non-existent)?

He's the David Clarkson of defense, utterly useless and brain dead.

leafstilldeath*

He was fine tonight but to the posters above - he does regularly get beaten to the outside and by inferior players (skating wise). He doesn't time his turns properly or something.

Karlsson
Letang
Subban

all get beat on the outside. FYI even Rielly got beat to the outside if you were watching the game.

Its about momentum turning and twisting then trying to cut the player carrying the puck (unless its Clarkson) is difficult, in that best a D-man can do is keep the player to the outside - which Gards did very well (including Rielly).

I wonder what your opinion on Dion is? Dion is absoutely WORST D-man especially when it comes to zone entries by opposition. Its always easy entry through his side. And that pylon wears the "C"

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

-21 is pretty easy to make excuses for. It's called +/- is a garbage stat, which has been proven to be 69% explained by factors completely outside the player's control. Ovechkin was -35 so I guess you wouldn't want him on the Leafs either.

You can even use that to excuse Bozak's brutal +/- and I won't disagree with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad