Jake Gardiner pt II

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
Ease up the defence logjam and make Jake a forward.
That stride is for beating defencemen, not getting back and not knowing
what to do.

Last edited:

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
I'm just out of ideas with Jake. I don't know what's wrong with him. Why is he so mentally weak? I don't understand. The mistakes he makes just come from lack of trying, period. Show the **** up Jake we all know you can play better than this.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Maybe some people should look at what he brings. He plays a style you don't like or agree with, but is effective in the way the NHL is going. He brings so much more positives than negatives. Time for many of you to think outside the box.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Maybe some people should look at what he brings. He plays a style you don't like or agree with, but is effective in the way the NHL is going. He brings so much more positives than negatives. Time for many of you to think outside the box.

A few steps closer to McDavid?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Make the Rover a forward for a bit. Not even joking the guy was a winger as a kid and end up wanting to play wing whenever he feels up to it. Why not just tell him to play wing one night and see if plays his ass off the whole game.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I'm just out of ideas with Jake. I don't know what's wrong with him. Why is he so mentally weak? I don't understand. The mistakes he makes just come from lack of trying, period. Show the **** up Jake we all know you can play better than this.
...He's like several players on this team. Soft but with very good offensive skills.I believe we have to trade some of these types of players to good teams that have toughness/structure, but possibly needing some offense, for more two way gritty players. These teams would be able to integrate these players into a sound system whereas we are too soft overall...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He looks like a natural forward. They should try him on wing

As a US high school player he was a forward (center in fact), he only switched to D permanently in College. His natural instincts are often as a forward.

Jake could be our new Gary Leeman. At least when the team dressed 7 Dmen they should toss Gardiner out there on the 4th line as a forward occasionally like they did with Ian White previously and see what happens.

In fact with Gardiner on the 4th line it would put 3 dmen essentially on the ice at the same time and perhaps provide more defensive awareness. If a Dman pinched perhaps Gardiner would be more inclined instinctually to cover his position.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Not from Gardiner, but still applies to him as well as Morgan.

“Ideally, maybe the coaches want to coach the Chris Prongers of the world — you know, the big guys that know what to do and play it safe all the time,†Rielly said earlier this season. “Our group, our generation, likes to play a bit of a more up-tempo style . . . That can be tough on coaches.â€

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/11/07/rielly_winnik_comments_speak_volumes_about_leafs_coach_carlyle_feschuk.html

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Always have said that he should be traded while his value is high. It's only going to get worse as people realize that he's got a lot of holes in his game.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Jake did not play center in high school. He played wing until grade 11. Switched to D after grade 11 season and made US under 18 team. Played D his grade 12 season and 3 years at Wisconsin.

Delicious Dangles*

Apparently "defense" is "did he crush somebody?" around here.

Thankfully it's not in the NHL, which makes Gardiner a huge asset.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
About Gardiner's value.

It may not be at an all time high but it can go up. He is signed ,sealed and delivered at an inflation friendly 5 years. As a Dman he hasn't come close to peaking and may not for years(3?). The thing is Toronto can't afford 2 Dmen of that style. In fact Percy makes more sense.There will be GM's interested in Gardiner and he is the type who could still flourish, but I doubt it is under Carlyle.

With Robidas not ready at 37, Gardiner not listening to Carlyle's style,Reilly and Percy very young and umm... Franson, our Defense comes down to Phaneuff and Polak. He becomes the odd(most likely) man out in a trade also.

I have heard the Gardiner for Myers rumours and if To's intent is the playoffs it makes some sense. Gardiner may need another year, less media and a new coach.

HonestHockey*

Apparently "defense" is "did he crush somebody?" around here.

Thankfully it's not in the NHL, which makes Gardiner a huge asset.

Not at all but it is about out working your opponent to gain the puck back. This he does not do. Ever.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't worry about trading jake. I don't think we are giving up E. Karl or anything by trading. The thing I am more interested in is how engaged he gets as a forward.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Look at the last 3 years.
Jake is terrible for the first 20-25 games then is one of our best offensive defenseman in the 2nd half.
Not sure why but what I've noticed.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Awkward passes bouncing over sticks happens to every player. But if that happens to any of our other defensemen are they able to cancel it out by essentially creating a goal out of nothing later in the game?

I have to say no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad