Jake Gardiner pt II

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
Maybe he's having trouble because he's trying to please his coaches and play positional hockey? Who knows what they've asked of him? Probably the reason he's regressed: to many people in his ear. I watch Rielly chase the puck almost every game, but he doesn't get this kind of flak.

leafstilldeath*

Maybe he's having trouble because he's trying to please his coaches and play positional hockey? Who knows what they've asked of him? Probably the reason he's regressed: to many people in his ear. I watch Rielly chase the puck almost every game, but he doesn't get this kind of flak.

Precisely! PMDs are hard to find; ridding Gards (24 years old) without actually seeing what becomes of him under a competent coach and well structured systems is absolutely FOOLISH!

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
From the video, even worse is the coverage by the captain.

I think we have to give Gardiner some time outside of the Carlyle dog house. He used to have at least a one a game play that made you wonder if he left his brain on the bench. It happened every game & sometimes it cost us a goal, sometimes it didn't. Since Carlyle left I have seen a lot less of that.

I would give him at least another year, he has to learn to give 100% focus when on the ice, take some personal pride & not allow anyone to beat him or win individual battles against him. If he can do that he could become a superstar, if not he will just be another of the countless players with way more talent than game sense.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Gardiner at 72% CF tonight. Hasn't had a game below 50% under Horachek.

What a great game by Jake. He looks so much more confident since Randy left.

His ability to suppress shots against and drive play is so under rated around here. If he reaches his potential he's going to be one of those Muzzin to a Doughty or Brodie to a Giordano type defenseman.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
his ceiling is definitely a 2nd pairing 2nd PP guy now, that wasnt always a huge debate I guess. Perhaps more importantly I think he is a complimentary guy that needs to be paired with the right player.

Leafs could use another Polak (hope the dont trade him) to play with Gardiner. Someone mobile but physical with a right shot is ideal for Gardiner/Rielly

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't say this often, but if anyone watched the game tonight and came away thinking that Gardiner was awful, I seriously question their understanding of the game.

The worst thing he did all night was allow Upshall a shot from a perimeter position, and fumbling a puck in his skates that he should have controlled. Other than that he played a 20+ minutes game where he was consistently keeping the puck out of our zone and pushing it up the ice, jumped in for some good scoring chances and took good decisions.

There have been plenty of reasons to complain about him this season. He's not been moving his feet, he's taken bad decisions and spent most of the season making costly mistakes almost every game. I've been criticizing him for that too. But tonight was not one of those nights. Tonight was a solid performance by a puck moving D-man playing top pairing minutes. If you can't see that, you are simply biased. And every statistical measurement from this game would support my eye-test from this game on that.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I've been pleading patience with Gardiner all season.

Glad to see it's rewarded had me worried there for a bit. He looks like his old confident self again.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Karlsson
Letang
Subban

all get beat on the outside. FYI even Rielly got beat to the outside if you were watching the game.

Its about momentum turning and twisting then trying to cut the player carrying the puck (unless its Clarkson) is difficult, in that best a D-man can do is keep the player to the outside - which Gards did very well (including Rielly).

I wonder what your opinion on Dion is? Dion is absoutely WORST D-man especially when it comes to zone entries by opposition. Its always easy entry through his side. And that pylon wears the "C"

I've seen Gardiner get beat by Upshall, Gaustad, and Chris Neil recently. I played rep hockey as a defender for 10 years, I know exactly what to do and how to do it. Gardiner doesn't, it's a major flaw in his game.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I've seen Gardiner get beat by Upshall, Gaustad, and Chris Neil recently. I played rep hockey as a defender for 10 years, I know exactly what to do and how to do it. Gardiner doesn't, it's a major flaw in his game.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I've always thought this was the sort of thing that made Leaf fans think they were experts in all thing hockey.

Now it has been confirmed :shakehead

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
his ceiling is definitely a 2nd pairing 2nd PP guy now, that wasnt always a huge debate I guess. Perhaps more importantly I think he is a complimentary guy that needs to be paired with the right player.

Leafs could use another Polak (hope the dont trade him) to play with Gardiner. Someone mobile but physical with a right shot is ideal for Gardiner/Rielly

Polak is garbage and Rielly and Gardiner both play better when they're away from him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Jake is not technically sound, he takes bad angles. It all comes down to hockey IQ or lack of it. Unsure he will ever get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad