Jake Gardiner appreciation thread

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Agreed. Jake's skating wasn't on Joni's level. Few were, but it was very good and near the top of the league for D-men.
It’s not just that. Pitkanen was *dominant* in the O zone. He would do that Euro thing we’ve seen Necas and Aho do where they take a lap around the O zone, dangling, looking for the gap to expose itself. Pitkanen found seams in defensive coverage and threaded passes to guys in a position to one-time the puck into a yawning cage. He was great on the boards because he kept himself upright, was strong on his skates, and could overpower the defender trying to clear the puck. He would’ve been a monster in a system like this that allows defensemen to pinch early and often. And let’s just leave the D zone out of the comparison, because Gardiner’s play in CAR matches what we heard of his play in TOR to a tee.

Gardiner’s ability to make a pass didn’t suddenly leave him. He’s so scared to make a play that you can see it on his face.

Compare Gardiner to Pitkanen at your own risk. There’s plenty of old farts in HFCanes who were here when Pitkanen played here, we know the difference between what we saw and what we’re seeing.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It’s not just that. Pitkanen was *dominant* in the O zone. He would do that Euro thing we’ve seen Necas and Aho do where they take a lap around the O zone, dangling, looking for the gap to expose itself. Pitkanen found seams in defensive coverage and threaded passes to guys in a position to one-time the puck into a yawning cage. He was great on the boards because he kept himself upright, was strong on his skates, and could overpower the defender trying to clear the puck. He would’ve been a monster in a system like this that allows defensemen to pinch early and often. And let’s just leave the D zone out of the comparison, because Gardiner’s play in CAR matches what we heard of his play in TOR to a tee.

Gardiner’s ability to make a pass didn’t suddenly leave him. He’s so scared to make a play that you can see it on his face.

Compare Gardiner to Pitkanen at your own risk. There’s plenty of old farts in HFCanes who were here when Pitkanen played here, we know the difference between what we saw and what we’re seeing.

Youre right about Pits board work and ability to control the puck. That was elite and Gardiner never had that, but again, comparing Gardiners play NOW to what Pitkanen was at his prime is just silly. He’s not playing right and injuries have a lot to do with it. He was a very good player in Toronto, albeit one who had some obvious warts. That’s the player who I am comparing to Pitkanen and they had many similar traits, but not all.

Anyway, probably best to leave it there for now

Reactions: DaveG

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I mean...Joni Pitkanen was fine and all, but I feel like there’s a little bit of glamorizing going on.

On topic, Gardiner is playing like a guy who should make about 1.5-2m, not 4. It’s not demotion level but it’s not good or anything to be pleased about either.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I know Jake is the one everybody hates right now but his last 3 games have been arguably some of his best games of his short tenure as a Cane(John Fourslund agrees). Whether it's injury he is trying to slowly recover from or it's just getting comfortable i'm willing to give him the rest of the season to figure it out. I hope he can add the offensive dimension back to his game and keep up the defensive play.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
While he's probably used to it after his Toronto experience, constantly being clickbait for trade rumors and worst lists has to get old. Even if it serves as a motivation to prove them wrong.

Forslund's comments re: how well his fits with the team was nice to hear. I noticed FSCR also spotlighted his adorable baby during both broadcasts this past weekend.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad