Value of: Jake DeBrusk

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Jake is a polarizing figure on the Bruins board. He has speed to burn and has some serious skill.

However, many feel he needs to be motivated to do his best. Curious how others view him and his value. Here is a link to his stats:

DeBrusk HockeyDB

Contract value or trade value? he's 99% not getting traded.

Contract value minimum 5x5 probably more.

Reactions: Play

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well he's an upcoming UFA and the Bruins need cap space to bring in anyone.

If moving him out isn't something the Bruins front office have at least considered than they aren't doing their job. If the Bruins had piles of cap space to bring in rentals at the deadline they likely wouldn't be thinking about it. But right now it's money in, money out, and that includes Debrusk if need be.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Since Debrusk broke into the league only 4 LWs have scored more playoff goals. He’s in a 3 way tie for playoff g/gp(minimum 14gp) at 21 for LWs with Artemi Panarin and Kyle Connor.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If that's true that's a REALLY dumb decision

He is just a very inconsistent goal scorer who isn't much of a playmaker. Sometimes he scores goals like a legit 1st liner. Then he will disappear for 10 games and put up zeros. A positive between now and early in his career is that he is still useful when he isn't scoring (PK, has became a good two way winger, etc). On average, he is clearly a top 6 goal scoring winger with a solid two way game that isn't going to be getting many apples.

But his inconsistency can make you wary of paying him like a core guy. And if he wants to be paid like that, or at least test the market, the Bruins would be wise to at least look into not making him a self rental. But wingers don't get great value at the TDL, and obviously the Bruins are a low end contender this season so selling without replacing is dumb.

So its all kind of murky.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
DeBrusk is a tough one.
Even when he's not scoring he's still creating chances and playing really nice D/PK.

I'm cool with replacing him, but feel that shouldn't be a conversation till the summer/contract talks

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
ATM he’s more important to the bruins than anything teams would be willing to pony up. Don’t see any value coming back for him that’s worth the hole he’ll leave in that line up.

Reactions: G Backup

Bond

May 10, 2012
Worth more to the Bruins than in a trade at the deadline unless they don't want him for a playoff run

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
supposedly they are handcuffing sweeney saying no high draft picks can be traded, only players. This would make me believe that Debrusk may have become more available than he was a few days ago.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
In terms of trade value...i don't really see the Bruins moving him. As an impending UFA, he wouldn't hold any real value to the sort of teams that would you might be swapping him to for an upgrade. So he presumably just stays with the Bruins even if it's just as an "own rental" type scenario.

As far as UFA value...i was also really curious about where he'd land, and made a poll a while back on that forum to gauge what people thought he was worth/what he'll get as a UFA.

What is Jake DeBrusk Worth as a Free Agent?

The consensus seemed to ring in somewhere in the $4.5-5M range. Plus or minus ~$500k either way. But this was earlier in the year, and he's picked a funny time to have one of his ~40Pts seasons in a UFA contract year. I think that'll probably hurt him a bit. Could make him a great "buy low" candidate if he's willing to go for term at that lower end $4-4.5M type range. Though i suppose he may also just take a one year "value booster" type deal to try to secure a bigger long-term deal the next year.

I'd be thrilled if he wanted to sign a 1x$4M type deal with the Canucks to just ride shotgun with Pettersson and jack up his production for a year. Though with all the other things up in the air and big money likely going on, who knows if they'll have room for even that, without moving someone else out. Heck...i'd sign him longer term if he was in that $4.5M range. As much as he may need "motivation" to really get the most out of him...i wouldn't worry too much about the contract security being that factor, as it clearly hasn't spurred him to a great contract year. :laugh:

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
In terms of trade value...i don't really see the Bruins moving him. As an impending UFA, he wouldn't hold any real value to the sort of teams that would you might be swapping him to for an upgrade. So he presumably just stays with the Bruins even if it's just as an "own rental" type scenario.

As far as UFA value...i was also really curious about where he'd land, and made a poll a while back on that forum to gauge what people thought he was worth/what he'll get as a UFA.

What is Jake DeBrusk Worth as a Free Agent?

The consensus seemed to ring in somewhere in the $4.5-5M range. Plus or minus ~$500k either way. But this was earlier in the year, and he's picked a funny time to have one of his ~40Pts seasons in a UFA contract year. I think that'll probably hurt him a bit. Could make him a great "buy low" candidate if he's willing to go for term at that lower end $4-4.5M type range. Though i suppose he may also just take a one year "value booster" type deal to try to secure a bigger long-term deal the next year.

I'd be thrilled if he wanted to sign a 1x$4M type deal with the Canucks to just ride shotgun with Pettersson and jack up his production for a year. Though with all the other things up in the air and big money likely going on, who knows if they'll have room for even that, without moving someone else out. Heck...i'd sign him longer term if he was in that $4.5M range. As much as he may need "motivation" to really get the most out of him...i wouldn't worry too much about the contract security being that factor, as it clearly hasn't spurred him to a great contract year. :laugh:
Based on his performance this year, as well as last, I would guess he will be in the 5-6m range, likely closer to 5m. Bruins should have the cap space to easily take him on, it's more so if the Bruins want to continue to reinvest in him, knowing how streaky he is.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Based on his performance this year, as well as last, I would guess he will be in the 5-6m range, likely closer to 5m. Bruins should have the cap space to easily take him on, it's more so if the Bruins want to continue to reinvest in him, knowing how streaky he is.

Yeah. That's what i had guessed. Especially considering he's a little bit goal-skewed in his production, which is generally seen as a positive. As well as the fact that he's a strong Even Strength producer, which teams are becoming a lot more attentive to as analytics continue to factor more heavily into decision making.

Having one of his "down years" and reminding everyone of just how streaky he can be in that contract year though, could suppress his value a bit. Also might be exactly the reason that the Bruins let him walk in the first place. Or not...who really knows.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
DeBrusk: 13 goals, 27 points in 56 games.
Last year: 27 goals, 50 points in 64 games.

Recent deadline trades that are comparable (IMO):
Niederreiter: 18 goals, 28 points in 56 games when Preds traded him to Jets for a 2nd.
24 goals, 44 points in 75 games the previous year.
Note: had one more year left on his deal when traded.

Barbashev: 10 goals, 29 points in 59 games when Blues traded him to Vegas for Zach Dean (recent 30th overall pick).
26 goals, 60 points in 81 games the previous year.

Rakell: 16 goals, 28 points in 51 games when Ducks traded him to Pens for a 2nd, Clang, ZAR, & Simon.
9 goals, 28 points in 52 games the previous year.

Lekhonen: 13 goals, 29 points in 58 games when Montreal traded him to the Avs for Justin Barron & a 2nd.
7 goals, 13 points in 47 games the previous year.

Eller: 7 goals, 16 points in 60 games when Caps traded him to the Avs for a 2nd.
13 goals, 31 points in 72 games the previous year.

Copp: 13 goals, 35 points in 55 games when Jets traded him to Rangers for what ended up being the 30th pick, a 2nd, a 5th and Morgan Barron.
15 goals, 39 points in 55 games the previous year.

Eller and Copp are centers known more for their defensive play so they may not be direct comparisons. Nonetheless, I'd arguably take DeBrusk over anyone on this list (Barbashev would be close) but based on this list, a 2nd+ or maybe a very late 1st is probably where DeBrusk's value would be. The Bruins are already pretty thin on the wing (hello, current 1st line winger, Danton Heinen) and given where they are in the standings, I would just hold onto Jake and see if he gets hot in the playoffs as he's done in the past...that, to me, is worth more than a pretty 'meh' pick. If they can re-sign him for a fair price in the offseason, great. If he walks, then that gives them even more cap space to make a splash in the summer.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Not a great position for Sweeney on this one. If he chooses NOT to extend DeBrusk, his options are pretty limited with DeBrusk being a pending UFA. He either keeps him, and hopes he turns things around, or he trades him, for a very situational return, that helps the Bruins this year, and maybe, gets some form of future as well.

He’s almost stuck doing a situational deal with another playoff team. Non-playoff teams will have no interest in DeBrusk unless they flip him, and his lack of consistency, wouldn’t make that easy. Nobody’s sending any Grade A assets for an inconsistent, pending UFA, with a history of being inconsistent. If he wasn’t a pending UFA, sure, but he is.

So the Bruins either go big acquiring a Top 6 forward, and move DeBrusk down the depth chart, letting him walk come July, or they move him for a more consistent player on the PP, who can play in the Top 6 as well.

Not gonna be easy to find.

They’d have to find a team with Top 6, PP depth, who would move one of their players who can play that role consistently, for DeBrusk.

The only way they do that, is if that team sees DeBrusk being a better fit in their bottom 6 (because of his play away from the puck) assuming he’s just as inconsistent in that team’s Top 6….

So a team who hopes he can excel in their Top 6, but is ok with him on their 3rd line, because they like him in that situation, more than that extra Top 6 player they currently have.

Not gonna be easy. Or is it?? Is that why Detroit has been scouting the Bruins so heavily over the last 2-3 weeks?

Was told last weekend, don’t be surprised if David Perron and a mid-grade prospect, go to Boston for Jake DeBrusk….. Perron would help the Bruins PP and Top 6 be more consistent.. He’s simply been a better Top 6/PP player than DeBrusk this year.

Detroit also has been scouting the Bruins a ton lately. So much, they almost have to be breaking down, how a player performs without the puck, in different situations, etc, etc. My guess is they would think DeBrusk might excel playing with a C like Larkin, but if he doesn’t, they like him more on their 3rd line than Perron.

So maybe it makes sense. Guess we’ll find out..

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad