Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Anyone have any theories?

Seems 100% like an issue of effort to me, but I can't figure out why he doesn't seem to care.

I don’t think it’s that

I think it is mental though

I’ve always loved Jake. I have a nice home video of him going between the legs to beat , (maybe vladar?) back in 2015 when Ristuccia was still the practice spot. I loved him since he came in and scored in iirc his first game off a rush, to his winner against the leafs in our second game 7 comeback, but it might be time to let the Kraken take him into the sea

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

Seems 100% like an issue of effort to me, but I can't figure out why he doesn't seem to care.
I think it's effort and his mediocre hockey IQ. He scores almost all of his goals when he's in the area around the net. Tipped shots, rebounds, etc. When he floats on the perimeter he is useless. With his shot, he's not a threat to score. It's alarming that he can't go to the one area where he is above average on the ice. He's a JAG and his goals/points are more from his effort than natural skill. Heck, his 27 goal season may have been a fluke or inflated. I went back and watched the tape and he scored only 4 goals when he wasn't spitting distance from the net. I counted 6/27 goals that were either soft (on the goalie), would've gone in even if he didn't touch the puck, went off his chest, or bounced off the top of the goal and in.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Theory 1: Some guys just can't be on all the time. They're able to raise their games and do great things on occasion (enough to keep them in the lineup and give them extra rope from the coaching staff), but not with consistency. I'm thinking of Michael Ryder here. You'd look at him when he was on fire and think why isn't this MFer scoring 40 goals a year? Then he gets into a funk and looks like he's floating for 20 game stretches.

Theory 2: David Krejci made him look like a much more talented scorer in his first few years than he really is. Playing with Coyle he doesn't get as many perfect setups. Of course, he had plenty of time with Krejci where he did absolutely nothing and Krejci's had a lot of wingers like Seth Griffith and Brett Connolly who never produced half of what Jake did on that line.

Theory 3: The concussions and injuries from the Kadri hit and the Covid year clipped his development and he's never going to get any better than this.

As with anything, nothing is monocausal and it's probably a little bit of all the above plus other things. Could be a mental block, a physical injury, the way Bruce is deploying him, chemistry with lines, etc. At this point I see a guy who is half Michael Ryder and half Reilly Smith, I'm sure that if he stays with the Bruins he'll continue to be a 12 goal, 30 point 3rd line player that he's settled into, and when we trade him to Edmonton he'll put up a 29 goal, 55 point season and everybody will be all hOw CoUlD tHeY tRaDe HiM fOr A fOuRtH rOuNd PiCk?/??1?1?

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018

I'm going with Covid. Last time when he got his first shot it took him some games to get going. I think the same is happening right now.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Is it a skating thing or a conditioning thing? How is he ALWAYS flat on the ice? It's uncanny.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I thought tonight was one of his better games. He was getting to pucks and beating some guys one on one.

Now I expect him to go back to his shell for game 5.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I thought tonight was one of his better games. He was getting to pucks and beating some guys one on one.

Really? Man I thought he was just awful. So many plays dying on his stick. So easily moved off the pucks. Constantly getting flattened in 50-50s. I just didn't see much beyond what some replacement level stiff can do.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Last game was his better game. He was more physical and giving it back. Tonight he was getting manhandled sadly.

Reactions: EverettMike

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Shouldn't play again unless there's a injury to a lw. The only decent game the 3rd line have had this series was when he got bumped up, also the worst game the 2nd line have had in the series is when he had to play there for a game. Ritchie has sucked too but if lines are getting better or worse when DeBrusk is on them it's not a coincidence. The bottom 6 needs a reshuffle.

member 96824

He looked lazy as f*** tonight. No fight. No effort.

Can't be traded soon enough. I'd move him before game 5 for a player to be named later.

There have been a ton of games where I've thought people criticizing Jake DeBrusk were just downright dumb. "Didn't score so sucked"

The last two games have been absolutely atrocious. Don't know what's going on...but holy shit it's bad.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Really strange to me how he can never beat guys to the outside when he chips it around defenders. He used to be able to do that at least sometimes. Has he gotten slower? Less willing to get physical? Have defenders figured it out?

Just seems like he should have the skill to make some noise every now and then with the matchups he is getting on the bottom lines and....nothing.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Before the Barzal goal he turned over the puck in the offensive by just basically falling over. I don't know if he's so scared of getting hit that he has jelly legs but it doesn't take much to win a board battle with him. I have a buddy who's an Islanders fan who is texting me that he can't believe how bad JDB is.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Really strange to me how he can never beat guys to the outside when he chips it around defenders. He used to be able to do that at least sometimes. Has he gotten slower? Less willing to get physical? Have defenders figured it out?

Just seems like he should have the skill to make some noise every now and then with the matchups he is getting on the bottom lines and....nothing.
He.
Doesn't.
Like.
Contact.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Really hard to imagine him turning it around in Boston at this point

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
It's crazy how quickly he can be really physical the last 2 games and then tonight get manhandled.

Put him back on his wing. He looked the most comfortable on it. We know it. Look at the Caps series. He was great. We don't win the games without his goals.

And then Bruce goes right back into putting him on RW. Ritchie does nothing. To be fair, the 3rd line hasn't looked great this series, but it needs to be tweaked. Sit Ritchie. Bring up Kuhlman and Freddy.

Do something. I still believe in Jake. He has it in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad