Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The bruins build and pride themselves on consistency, systems and methodical approach - Jake has some game-breaking ability, but I see him as the antithesis of the team's DNA

I'm fine with him staying at a reasonable number - my guess is an 8 year deal around 6.5 to 6.75, and given cap trajectory, i'd be "okay" with that all things considered
I would NOT give him that much. He is way to inconsistent.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sweeney isn't, which is what matters.

And you know this how?

I have a hard time believing in a contract year, Don Sweeney is pleased with fact that his now 27-year UFA-to-be who he's spent nearly a decade getting to this point, is on pace for under 20 goals and under 40 points? Statistically on pace for his worst season as a NHLer minus the 2021 messed up Covid mini-season.

Sweeney must be thrilled and doing all he can to extend the player. (sarcasm).

Bottom line for me is if this team wants to make any significant moves at the deadline, it will have to be a hockey trade where players of significance are moved out. And to that respect, I cannot see how Debrusk doesn't have a huge target on his back from the front office.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
When he's going, he worth every penny of what he's likely to want on his next deal. But he has too many long stretches of nothing. If the Bruins can keep him at 4.5 as a third liner that can do some PP time, and a little PKing, I'd keep him, If he wants 6+, adios Jakey.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
When he's going, he worth every penny of what he's likely to want on his next deal. But he has too many long stretches of nothing. If the Bruins can keep him at 4.5 as a third liner that can do some PP time, and a little PKing, I'd keep him, If he wants 6+, adios Jakey.

Say he finishes with about 18 goals and 17 assists. He's at 4 million now can he even justify a significant raise on a long-term deal?

Imagine walking up to your boss after a poor performing year and demanding a raise and added security.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Say he finishes with about 18 goals and 17 assists. He's at 4 million now can he even justify a significant raise on a long-term deal?

Imagine walking up to your boss after a poor performing year and demanding a raise and added security.
Yeah but I'd also argue that your boss would be ridiculous to ignore everything else you've done since your last contract negotiation and only rely on the past 6 months.

Reactions: BruinDust

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah but I'd also argue that your boss would be ridiculous to ignore everything else you've done since your last contract negotiation and only rely on the past 6 months.

Say they do, and certainly Jake's agent will make that case, what sort of raise do you give him? Up to 5? More?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a raise, from the Bruins or someone else. And yes, they will factor in more than this current season.

Term is where his current performance is really shooting him in the foot. You see the inconsistencies here at 27 what can they expect when he's near the end of a 6-7-8 year deal.

Reactions: NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Say they do, and certainly Jake's agent will make that case, what sort of raise do you give him? Up to 5? More?
Honestly I am not sure. I go back and forth on Jake all the time. I think term is what bothers me most, not sure I'd do more than 4 years, maybe 5...I think investing in him long term with how inconsistent he is could be a mistake. Money, depending on how the season ends I can live with something under 6 mil, closer to 5 mil maybe.

I wonder what his production would be had he not been replaced by JVR on PP1.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
He will be 28 at the start of next season. He will likely have 2-3 years on his next deal before age-driven regression starts. Players like Jake who get by on explosive speed tend to regress at a younger age than players who get by on high hockey IQ, physicality, all out effort, stickhandling, shot etc. Also, he is famously not a nutrition and workout fanatic, so that will likely accelerate his regression.

All this is to say nothing about his lack of drive and inconsistency etc.

Whomever signs him to his next contract is going to regret it, I just hope it isn’t the Bruins. Might as well trade him now. Won’t get much for him, but might as well get something.

Reactions: lopey

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I completely understand this view too
I think the thing is they don't really have replacement for Debrusks offense, unless they think Merk or Lysell can be that guy. Almost forced to keep him based on the fact they need offense in the top 9 badly.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I think the thing is they don't really have replacement for Debrusks offense, unless they think Merk or Lysell can be that guy. Almost forced to keep him based on the fact they need offense in the top 9 badly.

yep, as inconsistent as it is, you're right - we are not overflowing with offense - that's why this is such a tricky strategic decision and why i think it ultimately lands on him being resigned to something in the range i suggested

he's our brandon hagel, really

Reactions: NDiesel

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Then again, Heinen has five fewer points with no PP time, and lower minutes, and JVR is outscoring him 34-25 and both were signed for cheap. There are always options if you are looking to replace a 30-40 point guy.

Reactions: Alicat and Ladyfan

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
yep, as inconsistent as it is, you're right - we are not overflowing with offense - that's why this is such a tricky strategic decision and why i think it ultimately lands on him being resigned to something in the range i suggested

he's our brandon hagel, really

Giving someone money above their worth simply because you're desperate is a terrible team building decision.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Then again, Heinen has five fewer points with no PP time, and lower minutes, and JVR is outscoring him 34-25 and both were signed for cheap. There are always options if you are looking to replace a 30-40 point guy.
I guess, but if you aren't keeping Debrusk because of his inconsistency should you really be relying on guys who Debrusk, even while struggling this year, is still likely to have a better season then either did the past two years?

We'll see how it pans out I suppose and if management views him as a 30-40 point guy or a guy closer to his last two seasons.

Reactions: Dr Hook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad