Confirmed with Link: Jake Allen Traded to MTL

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
You need to go back and watch the entire week leading up to that. The entire team had a lot of blame on their shoulders.

Do you recall Hutton winning the second to last game of the season and Allen flying out to Colorado a day early to prepare mentally before getting blown out?

Because I do.

Obviously, it wasn’t only Allen’s fault, but the organization forcing him to be something he isn’t-a bonafide work horse goalie, impacted the team’s performance for years.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Do you recall Hutton winning the second to last game of the season and Allen flying out to Colorado a day early to prepare mentally before getting blown out?

Because I do.

Obviously, it wasn’t only Allen’s fault, but the organization forcing him to be something he isn’t-a bonafide work horse goalie, impacted the team’s performance for years.
Allen actually stood on his head that game and was the only reason that game was close for awhile as we were dominated and ga e up a zillion high danger chances. He had a 919 sv% for the game and we only lost 5-2 cuz we gave up 2 empty netters. Allen was our best player that game.

He guilty of a lot of things but not failing in that game.

A more reasonable criticism would be for us being in that position only because he blew the 3rd last game of the season because he blew a 3-1mlead against the lowly blackhawks that we had halfway through the 2nd period with a questionable goal from almost the offsides line and then a weak 3rd period wrister from halfway to the blueline with an unobstructed view and the defender forcing the forward to the outside to make the angle easier.

He then lost the game in regulation with 8 second with another goal that while not weak was saveable for a good goalie.

It was because of that meltdown that we needed to win in colorado to make it. But allen actually played well that colorado game after sitting to clear his head. The team just didnt show up. Hutton would have made no difference.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Allen continues to find success, and I think that is the story to be told of his time here. If anyone looks at his numbers from season to season you'll find he is an NHL goalie. People complain about Binny not getting a good defense in front of him, but you can also look at Allen's down times and see a common trend. Goalies that have good defense get good results.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Allen continues to find success, and I think that is the story to be told of his time here. If anyone looks at his numbers from season to season you'll find he is an NHL goalie. People complain about Binny not getting a good defense in front of him, but you can also look at Allen's down times and see a common trend. Goalies that have good defense get good results.
You saying we dont have good defense now?

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
I wish Allen well. He was a stand up man when Binnington came on. Big factor in the Cup run IMHO.

That said, I don't want him back.

He has burned me too many times. The slip and slide routine combined with no short side coverage finally got me.

I don't dislike the man, but I will never trust the goaltender in him.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Binny hasn't been here long enough to fall into the "slip and slide routine," but he's starting to follow the same path. Give him a few years...hell, we've got 6!

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

Allen is a choker. He was one in the minors, he is still one now. Binnington did what Allen couldn’t and never will. That’s why Binny is a starter and Allen is a career backup.

The lack of memory here is nuts.

Blues team is heavily injured but Binny is trash because God forbid if he allows 1-2 goals every game.

Allen is amazing because he’s played a handful of games on a healthy solid team IN THE NORTH DIVISION.

Enough of this nonsense.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Allen is a choker. He was one in the minors, he is still one now. Binnington did what Allen couldn’t and never will. That’s why Binny is a starter and Allen is a career backup.

Blues team is heavily injured but Binny is trash because God forbid if he allows 1-2 goals every game.

Allen is amazing because he’s played a handful of games on a healthy solid team IN THE NORTH DIVISION.

Enough of this nonsense.
Don't you know? Regular season performance > postseason performance. Just like huge potential > actual production and picks/prospects > winning the Cup.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016

Enough of this nonsense.
I'd take Allen back in a second.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Allen had multiple seasons of good defense with terrible results???

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Allen is an Elite backup, the kind that will steal you games when he doesn't have a starter's role. He's clearly a good player, but it's like relying on Krug to be a #1 defenseman. That's not Krug's role, he can't play it, and neither can Allen. Pretty simple for me
I agree with you. There are only a handful of goalies in the league that are going to be solid from the beginning of the season to the end.

Reactions: ezcreepin

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
What do you define as multiple?

I mean every season as a starter he had was behind an above average defense with an above average offense as well. This year is the first year since 2009 that the Blues' offense has been worse than the D, which means a LOT more chances in the D zone. This is also the worst PK we've had in even longer than that which makes it even harder for a goalie to perform well. Allen had about as good as you can hope for a goalie and crashed and burned with it. Binington doesn't have the same luxury this season, and it also happens to be the first time he's been below average in his career.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
@TruBlu what is your address and postal code?

thumb.aspx

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I agree with you. There are only a handful of goalies in the league that are going to be solid from the beginning of the season to the end.
Exactly, which is why having a guy like Allen is a luxury. Everyone would've loved to have Allen on a 2 mil per year deal, but that's just how those things work out. I think the days of 60, 65, 70 game starters are gone for good. Shooters are too good, the game is too fast, and these goalies have to be super athletic which I'd imagine wears them out much more than a good fundamentals goaltender.

Edit: Hey I know I said the 60+ game starters are gone for good, but I went and looked and quite a few guys were on pace for that sooooo....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad