Oct 22, 2008
Texas
Lumping these trades together. Haha.

- Allen
- Edmundson, Bokk, 7th

for

- 3rd, 7th
- Faulk, 5th

Which would you rather have with a signed Petro?

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think the point of the Pietro negotiations are that it’s clear both sides want to reach an agreement. I think it’s a foregone conclusion that they’ll get there, but maybe it’s not close yet.

Allen has been a neutral value asset at worst, and I’ve said many times he had developed into a positive value asset. A 3rd round pick is worthwhile.

Allen deserves a hell of a lot of credit for how he handled both last post-season and this one. He has proven himself to be a team-first guy, and demonstrated that he took his preparation very seriously to be able to come in and give the team solid starts in the Vancouver series when he’d played all of one game since March. It won’t surprise me in the least if he becomes the starter in Montreal over time. He’ll probably re-sign there for a small contract as the back-up guy. I sure hope Husso is ready, or another cheap vet can fill that spot. It’s been a luxury to have a player as good as Allen as the back-up.

This is also a loud statement of support for Binnington.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
To be fair, before this season I think that was kinda fair. Jake saved our bacon on this.

Also Montreal will be paying 15 mill for there goalies next year, which, oof.
Sure, but there's a massive gulf between having one and two years of a cap dump.

JR has been pretty bad with his insider knowledge since moving to The Athletic. So I'd take this with a grain of salt.
I also think his swap to the Athletic has made him move towards more clickbaity takes to try to up his clicks.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I wonder if there was some unwritten ‘owed value’ from the Fabbri trade, or just a good working relationship.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
This is a great trade!

I would love to have kept Allen as he really was perfect in the backup/1B role. But his $4.3M salary space is much more important, especially when it comes to signing Petro. Getting the 3rd round pick was great, the 7th is ok we still have Bill Armstrong so maybe we can a diamond in the rough with that, we do not have a 2nd round pick, and didn't have a 7th. Now we have 2 3rds ours, and Washington's and Chicago's 7th. Our 2022 7th going to them is nothing to lose.

I could see us using the Washington 3rd to as part of a deal to move someone like Bozak too though.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
He might well be right, but does JR ever really call anything these days? Most of the information like this that he reports seems to come from LeBrun.

The one single thing I think JR knew before it happened was the Blues not making Reaves available to Vegas. We never get inside info about the Blues trade deals prior to it happening.

Reactions: mk80

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
If Allen goes to Montreal and Bozak to Detroit, then I'm convinced Army had a plan all along.

It probably isn’t some grand scheme that he’s secretly organizing or anything. It’s just keeping good, honest working relationships going. Army has always been good at that, and has the respect of his colleagues. That, and it’s likely that when those smaller trades go down, other names get tossed around and you say “let’s revisit that in the summer and see if it still makes sense.” Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t. But maintaining trust is a big part of that.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It probably isn’t some grand scheme that he’s secretly organizing or anything. It’s just keeping good, honest working relationships going. Army has always been good at that, and has the respect of his colleagues. That, and it’s likely that when those smaller trades go down, other names get tossed around and you say “let’s revisit that in the summer and see if it still makes sense.” Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t. But maintaining trust is a big part of that.
I'm not even claiming some grand scheme. It's partly good relationship and partly just making a handshake deal that has to wait simply because of timing.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
2huhHsJ.gif

Gotta represent for Ranksu in this thread

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Wow...never thought I’d see the (merciless) end of the Jake Allen era in STL. I assumed he’d be around until time itself ceased to exist. Glad he’s finally gone. Hes’s had a Jeckyl & Hyde career in St. Louis, and it’s good to see him leave on a high. Mainly, it’s just good to see him leave.

Best luck in Montreal, snakey. No pressure.

Reactions: Spektre

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Value seems right. Before covid thought we could get a 2nd for him but with flat cap had to adjust expectations.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Value seems right. Before covid thought we could get a 2nd for him but with flat cap had to adjust expectations.

Yep. I was confident we would get a mid round pick before the flat cap with how well he played. Having a contract that is too high really isn't a problem when there is only one year left on it. All the talk on the trade forums about us adding Dunn or a 1st before COVID was ridiculous. Even with a flat cap he still fetched a 3rd.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yep. I was confident we would get a mid round pick before the flat cap with how well he played. Having a contract that is too high really isn't a problem when there is only one year left on it. All the talk on the trade forums about us adding Dunn or a 1st before COVID was ridiculous. Even with a flat cap he still fetched a 3rd.
People really underestimate how important it is that guy like Allen or a Bozak only have 1 year. In FA you want equivalent guy may be a bit cheaper but will typically require term.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Lol @ all the people saying Allen required a high pick to dump
At least a 2nd would have without question been needed anytime before this past season.

He put up extremely good numbers this past season and showed up in the playoffs. That combined with another year off his big contract, turned him into a positive value. Pretty much the best backup available, with starter experience.

Did not see MTL as a destination. Their backup must be really bad and like another poster said, apparently want to lower his workload

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad