Confirmed with Link: Jake Allen Traded to MTL

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
People really underestimate how important it is that guy like Allen or a Bozak only have 1 year. In FA you want equivalent guy may be a bit cheaper but will typically require term.

Speaking of Bozak, doesn't he have a limited-NTC that expires in January? Could we LTIR Tarasenko until Januray, trade Bozak once his NTC expires, then activate Tarasenko? Could be a creative way to keep the cap hits low.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
He handled Binnington's rise with class, which says a lot about the guy. Not only did he handle it well on the bench, he did what we needed him to do when he was on the ice.

In the end, it was always more about his contract than anything else. Even if Binnington does not regain his form, Allen was not the answer and neither of them is under contract after next season. I just don't see him as a 50-60 game starter. If Binnington does find the cure to his bubble woes, to any degree, he can carry the load of 50-60 games. And they cost roughly the same.

There was a thread on the playoff forum about chatter surrounding Fleury's demotion, and I compared that to Allen. My comment was that Allen would rather be jumping over the boards and onto the ice to skate with the Cup than cracking open a beer in his living room, watching one of two other teams celebrate, but comforted by the fact he is still the starter.

I was initially surprised it was Montreal, but he may get a decent amount of work there. Best of luck to him.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'll post this in here as the Jake Allen appreciation post.

I was waiting for that Calgary stick save the whole video, right at the end. That’s my favorite save of his career. That, the series vs the Wild, and the job he just did in the post-season are probably his best moments. I think he’ll do well in Montreal.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
TML fan here, congrats to a great trade. I was talking to a buddy and he was saying that Tarasenko will be on LTIR all season and then activated for the playoffs. Essentially meaning you can likely resign both Pietrangelo and Dunn.

Nect year as a good number of players are coming off the cap and all the big guns are all signed. Armstrong show why he is one of the best in the business.

About his only shortcomings was to resign both Faulk and Scandella before Dunn and Pietrangelo.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He handled Binnington's rise with class, which says a lot about the guy. Not only did he handle it well on the bench, he did what we needed him to do when he was on the ice.

In the end, it was always more about his contract than anything else. Even if Binnington does not regain his form, Allen was not the answer and neither of them is under contract after next season. I just don't see him as a 50-60 game starter. If Binnington does find the cure to his bubble woes, to any degree, he can carry the load of 50-60 games. And they cost roughly the same.

There was a thread on the playoff forum about chatter surrounding Fleury's demotion, and I compared that to Allen. My comment was that Allen would rather be jumping over the boards and onto the ice to skate with the Cup than cracking open a beer in his living room, watching one of two other teams celebrate, but comforted by the fact he is still the starter.

I was initially surprised it was Montreal, but he may get a decent amount of work there. Best of luck to him.
How he handled Binnington sort of sums up the group we had, Steen was the same way when he went to the 4th line. Everyone just seemed to have a mentality of doing what it takes to win, whatever the role they had.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
2huhHsJ.gif

Gotta represent for Ranksu in this thread
Will Ranksu be coming back???

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Allen's play was up and down over his Blues tenure, but he was always class act. Put team needs first. This trade makes lot of sense but I'm still sad to see him go.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I was waiting for that Calgary stick save the whole video, right at the end. That’s my favorite save of his career. That, the series vs the Wild, and the job he just did in the post-season are probably his best moments. I think he’ll do well in Montreal.
That was a fantastic save on it's own, but Panger's reaction really makes that call for me.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I love the stuff with the swapping of 7th round picks... like that was what the whole hinged on...

It's like negotiating over a car and being like... woah... I can't do 26,000... but make it 25,975 and we've got a deal...
HaHaHa! That is funny alpha foxtrot.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
He should have anyway at least a 2nd round pick but luckily for you there's lot of bad GMs in this league including our own MB.
You guys have a ton of picks so giving up one is no big deal. You have plenty of cap space and now you don’t need Price to play 70+ games in order to avoid having to play another terrible backup. Add to that the fact that Allen only has one year left and you give Primeau another year to develop. Sounds like MB did a pretty good job on this one.

Reactions: Habano and Blueston

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
He should have anyway at least a 2nd round pick but luckily for you there's lot of bad GMs in this league including our own MB.
There's not going to be any good backups looking for one year deals like the Habs would want ideally want with Primeau looking to be close to ready.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Not that it's necessarily a smart bet to bank on youngsters stepping in. However, one shouldn't forget that St. Louis has the reigning World Junior Champion Goalie...
He also just turned 20. Hofer has nothing to do with trading Allen.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
good for jake. he had to know his career was not continuing in st. louis and while montreal is not his final home, he gets a chance to play with carey price. jake played real well with brodeur on the ice/over his shoulder and would have to imagine he improves his game studying with price. he may never have a #1 role, but he's got a cup and played some good hockey. some bad too, but he's had a good career and still more to go.

Hank Hull

Aug 12, 2020
First off, thanks for everything Snake! He was intergral in getting us a Cup with the way he handled his benching last year, and I was all-in on buying his jersey if he'd carried us deep into this season's playoffs. Hope he succeeds in Montreal.

I recently read an interview with Army that indicated he'd meet with Petro first and then make roster moves based on their conversation. If that's the case, then this trade bodes well for our chances of retaining our captain. If Petro wanted out, I like to think that we would have kept Jake around.

CCBC

Feb 18, 2007
Illinois
I love the stuff with the swapping of 7th round picks... like that was what the whole hinged on...

It's like negotiating over a car and being like... woah... I can't do 26,000... but make it 25,975 and we've got a deal...

Bergevin: "Look, I know you'd really like pick #205, but I'm going to need pick #215 back to make that work for me."

Gonna miss Jake. This is about the ideal Allen trade for the Blues though.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
First off, thanks for everything Snake! He was intergral in getting us a Cup with the way he handled his benching last year, and I was all-in on buying his jersey if he'd carried us deep into this season's playoffs. Hope he succeeds in Montreal.

I recently read an interview with Army that indicated he'd meet with Petro first and then make roster moves based on their conversation. If that's the case, then this trade bodes well for our chances of retaining our captain. If Petro wanted out, I like to think that we would have kept Jake around.

I think the plan was to trade Allen regardless of what happens with Petro. There could be a connection, but I wouldn’t bank on it. The Blues need the space just to re-sign Dunn.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I think the plan was to trade Allen regardless of what happens with Petro. There could be a connection, but I wouldn’t bank on it. The Blues need the space just to re-sign Dunn.
IF they re-sign Dunn. It wouldn’t surprise me if he gets traded.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The swapping of seventh round picks looks stupid, but it would have been Montreal that wanted it and it is understandable. They have too many picks in this draft, and it's better to defer the later picks to later years.
I think it has to do with the 50 contract limit. Swapping 7ths is almost a nothing move, but you want to at least have the flexibility to offer contracts to all your draft picks.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->