Confirmed with Link: Jake Allen signs extensions with the Canadiens (2 years, $3.85M AAV)

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Looking at the veteran goaltenders who have packed it in or are close the last few years : Rask, Crawford, Hutton, Miller, Rinne, Lundqvist, Ward, Bishop, Smith, Price, Holtby, Dubnyk...and all the injuries to others, the free agents this summer had little trouble finding new teams. Not a surprise the Habs were eager to re-sign Allen.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Good articles from Engels & The Athletic explaining the extension and all the valuable reasons why it was important to lock him up.

Recommend reading those articles for anyone who dislikes the extension.
I read it and agree. Fans can't see qualities like mentoring and leadership when we're watching the games, so it's easy to forget how crucial those qualities are in the development of young players. The presence of a successful vet like Allen makes our goalie prospects better, plus the team can lean on his goaltending rather than crash and burn.

The other thing both you and I have repeated is that the landscape for goalies has changed. Solid backups/1B starters are no longer easy to find. Wannabe contenders like Toronto and Edmonton are settling for guys in the same tier as Allen because no one else is available. Ottawa is moving past their rebuild with 35-year old Talbot. Allen has a few years left as a quality backup or 1B, either in Montreal or elsewhere if our goalie prospects develop well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good signing. Not great, not bad. Basically a bridge of stability in net while we rebuild and let our youth grow/mature.

1st rounder coming for the 2025 trade deadline. Salary cap that season will be around $88M or higher. $3.85M for a 1B goalie is solid but how the Habs play D in front of him will dictate how he looks to other teams looking for a goalie. Could be traded prior to that... hard to guess on future circumstances.

Allen is underrated as a 1B type goalie and if any fans want to look at stats for goalies playing on bad teams (or great teams), they are miscalculating things

Reactions: Runner77

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
We have bigger issues in net to be concerned about,

Like, WHO is the goalie of the future?

We all know it is not (or can not be) Primeau

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Most NHL teams are asking the same question.

Goalies are usually drafted in later rounds, which means nobody has a clue who the top-10 goalies will be in five years.

Reactions: Runner77

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
No they are not,

Most teams have somebody in the pipeline who at least has potential,

We have zero
Every team – including the Habs – has prospects with potential. There's a mile-wide gap between potential and actually becoming an NHL goalie... and then another mile to becoming a top NHL goalie. "Potential" is a meaningless word when it comes to goalie prospects.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Who says is cannot be Primeau? some take longer than others to develop and he has shown some really great stretches but still lacks consistency. I hope this year he fixes that but this could very well be his last year to show what he can do before the team starts moving on.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Most NHL teams are asking the same question.

Goalies are usually drafted in later rounds, which means nobody has a clue who the top-10 goalies will be in five years.
Two of the best goaltenders the Habs drafted in the last 30 years or so were Tomas Vokoun (226th-1994) and Jaro Halak (271st-2003). Seems rare that teams draft a goaltender high anymore, they know for most it's a long apprenticeship to the NHL.

Reactions: Lshap

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Still say it's too early to write off Primeau, it's not uncommon for goalies to take a while. Even Allen didn't graduate from AHL until 24 after winning best goalie award in 13/14. After the playoffs we saw from Primeau, I could see similar type of season. Especially considering this year should be a stacked roster.

Reactions: 417

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Might be too early to write Primeau off as a NHL goaltender.. but I think I've seen enough that we don't have a #1 goalie prospect here.

He doesn't exemplify a single quality at an elite level. I think he's more likely the back-up of the future. Incredible 7th round pick but not the heir apparent.

Reactions: morhilane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad