Confirmed with Link: Jake Allen signs extensions with the Canadiens (2 years, $3.85M AAV)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Also, suck it @Adam Michaels you got done scooped.

Well there goes my hopes that the team would get a good goalie to help the rebuild at some point.

It's not that far off what a quality back-up makes in the NHL and I think Allen is the perfect goalie for the next 2 seasons where you want someone good enough to not hurt the confidence of the young defenseman by being actively bad.. but not good enough to steal games and force the Habs higher in the standings than necessary.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Also, suck it @Adam Michaels you got done scooped.

It's not that far off what a quality back-up makes in the NHL and I think Allen is the perfect goalie for the next 2 seasons where you want someone good enough to not hurt the confidence of the young defenseman by being actively bad.. but not good enough to steal games and force the Habs higher in the standings than necessary.
He routinely let's in horrible goals that have no right going in. It'll be hard for the team to play well when they know that any tiny mistake they make will result in a goal.

You're right that it's backup money, but the team would still need a starter. Maybe next summer they'll sign someone. Or maybe they'll still think Primeau is the future despite him never looking like an NHL player.

I just want a goalie in nets that I'm not worried will cost the team a game every time he plays.

I know we were spoiled with Price but this is the total opposite.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Well....if you don't have a clear #1 starting goaltender, you better have a good 1A-1B tandem.
Allen is exactly that. 40-45 games a year.
Now we need to find another one.

That put the Habs at 17 players signed for 2023-2024.
With around 25 millions left.
Caufield, Pezzetta, Harris without contract.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He routinely let's in horrible goals that have no right going in. It'll be hard for the team to play well when they know that any tiny mistake they make will result in a goal.

You're right that it's backup money, but the team would still need a starter. Maybe next summer they'll sign someone. Or maybe they'll still think Primeau is the future despite him never looking like an NHL player.

I just want a goalie in nets that I'm not worried will cost the team a game every time he plays.

I don't think he's really as bad as you are painting. He's not a number 1 so yes there are going to be bad goals but the alternative out there on our own team isn't really palatable.

And the fact is, the goaltending position has taken a big hit. There isn't much out there. The Toronto Maple Leafs are betting the last year of their contracts on Matt Murray and Ilya Samsonov. I tell you, I wouldn't prefer either of them to Jake Allen at this point.

They are also not at a point where they can go in and outbid someone on getting John Gibson, for example. Arizona has it so bad they claimed Johansson off waivers.

They'll need to continue to invest draft picks and development into the goaltending position. I think the Jake Allen extension tells you how much they believe in Primeau as a long term solution. He got back-up money and I think that's the reasonable projection for Primeau at this point, a back-up NHL goalie.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Very meh about this but looks like Hughes got the term he wanted. Primeau and Monty not exactly impressing so not totally surprised.

Reactions: Peteux

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I don't think he's really as bad as you are painting. He's not a number 1 so yes there are going to be bad goals but the alternative out there on our own team isn't really palatable.

And the fact is, the goaltending position has taken a big hit. There isn't much out there. The Toronto Maple Leafs are betting the last year of their contracts on Matt Murray and Ilya Samsonov. I tell you, I wouldn't prefer either of them to Jake Allen at this point.

They are also not at a point where they can go in and outbid someone on getting John Gibson, for example. Arizona has it so bad they claimed Johansson off waivers.

They'll need to continue to invest draft picks and development into the goaltending position. I think the Jake Allen extension tells you how much they believe in Primeau as a long term solution. He got back-up money and I think that's the reasonable projection for Primeau at this point, a back-up NHL goalie.
I just want to know the future of the team in nets, I guess. If they plan on acquiring a goalie when the team is ready to compete that's one thing, but it also can't be guaranteed. If they want it to come from within, we'll need to be very lucky since, as you said, Primeau is looking like a backup (at best) at this point.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013

This is why we have sucked for a long time. Players ti scared to make mistakes.. it’s time we got a team that is man enough to correct there mistakes and learn from them instead of being wimpy and skilled and hoping the goalie will bail them out.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Well there goes my hopes that the team would get a good goalie to help the rebuild at some point.
The trend for most competing teams nowadays to have two good but not star goaltenders. There are really only a handful of true star goaltenders in the league. TB with Vasilevsky is by far an exception and not a norm.
Now if a potential great goalie is available in the draft then great, go for it. Askarov and Knight being two potential stars.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
At least we have 2 goalies signed cheaply for the foreseable future (Allen-Primeau) so there is no rush to do anything drastic. HuGo will have the time and the cap space flexibility to find a true #1 when we are ready to compete again. Or perhaps Primeau will become that goalie for us...

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I just want to know the future of the team in nets, I guess. If they plan on acquiring a goalie when the team is ready to compete that's one thing, but it also can't be guaranteed. If they want it to come from within, we'll need to be very lucky since, as you said, Primeau is looking like a backup (at best) at this point.

I don't think they know exactly what the opportunity will be yet.

My guess is that all they know is they like Allen as a leader and a stop gap. Which is probably the right choice given the alternatives internally and externally right now.

I don't think they've identified anyone internally yet as an heir apparent. I forget who said it but I think they were on record saying they don't believe they currently have anyone in the system who can be a #1 goalie. I think highly of Dobes but he's only had one good NCAA season under his belt and we'll need to see how he replicates that.

I also forget who said it but I believe it was Lebrun, who said he wouldn't be surprised if the Habs invest more than one high draft pick this year in a goalie prospect. I'd be looking at the Habs potentially taking Hrabal and Fowler this year.

Peteux

Jul 15, 2010
I feared a higher term. 2 years is great; more than that would have been risky.

The AAV is good since the goalie market is f***ed up. I bet HuGo tried to get a good goalie prospect, but failed to get one at a reasonable price.

All you hear about Allen is that he's a good guy, a hard worker and a professionnal. He's well liked too. As others said, he's good enough to let our D play without constant fear. He's "bad" enough to let the team tank even if nobody's on the team is trying to tank.

He's the perfect fit.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Hard to find a decent vet on the market on such a team friendly deal. We need someone to bridge us for a few seasons and Allen is a perfectly fine option for it. He's reportedly an excellent teammate too and a good locker room presence. I sure never want to spend 10 AAV on a goalie ever again anyway, get me a league average guy on a reasonable deal any day.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad