WJC: Jake Allen haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moobles

Mar 15, 2009
He's not going to suck forever, isn't "****ing horrible" and doesn't have huge defficiencies in his game that will prevent him from ever being in the NHL. He obviously has things to work on though and can probably play a lot better than he did.

Analyzer*

Last tourny our goalies kinda sucked too. I hope we're not reaching a problem of not being able to produce goalies. Like Sweden until Lundqvist came along.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Who cares if he's 19? He played and failed in a tournament filled with other 17-19 year olds.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Well you guys honestly can't tell me that Martin Brodeur or Patrick Roy didn't have bad games.

Some of you make it sound like Allen is the only goalie in the history of hockey to have a bad game. Every goalie has a bad game and sadly for Allen it came in the game that mattered the most

Look at it this way, for Canada to have 2 losses in the past 6 years is really good. Oh I happen to recall that the New England Patriots had a poor game a few years ago, I know they lost that game but what were they? 19-0 going into the Superbowl?

No one is arguing that he had a bad game, but Roy and Brodeur were and are known for stepping up in the big games when their teams need it. Allen knew what to expect from the U.S. He had played them already. He knew that they were fast and that they were going to challenge him. He failed to meet that and had a weak game when he needed to have a strong game. I do think, however, that at a point during that game, our loss started to tilt away from Allen and toward the coach. Allen was getting roasted. The U.S. knew where to go if they wanted to beat him. Desjardins should have gotten him out of there after the 3rd goal and he failed in that regard. Dean Blais was smart to get Lee out of the U.S. net after the 3rd goal and it worked out well. The whole "19 year old" argument just doesn't work. It's not like he was playing against NHL players out there. He was playing against players his own age and younger.

I don't hate Allen for having a bad game. I'm just frustrated that he failed to make routine saves when the team needed him to make them and I'm annoyed that Desjardins made the desicion to leave him in when it was obvious that he had been exposed horrifically.

Overall, Allen was outplayed and Desjardins was outcoached.

Mr Shanahan

Jul 11, 2007
Toronto
I find it funny how so many people are saying, "he's young, he was nervous, give him a break". You people are making it seem like he was the youngest one there, and that he was the only nervous player to hit the ice in that game. Nobody is saying that he is a bust or anything, but the point is, he lost the Gold for Canada, plain and simple. There is nothing that anyone can say to disprove that. He was not there when he had to be.

Randall Graves*

Dude will never amount to much if he doesn't substantially improve his glovehand, the Americans exposed it badly

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
I find it funny how so many people are saying, "he's young, he was nervous, give him a break". You people are making it seem like he was the youngest one there, and that he was the only nervous player to hit the ice in that game. Nobody is saying that he is a bust or anything, but the point is, he lost the Gold for Canada, plain and simple. There is nothing that anyone can say to disprove that. He was not there when he had to be.
Agree. This is the tournament to showcase your stuff and he never showcased anything at this high level tournament. Overall, as a goalie, both of Canada's goalies looked weak.

Team U20 Canada coach was out coached and he never inspired confidence even at the start of pre-tournament interviews.

I remember Fleury being stellar in the tournament, the same can't be said for this crop of goalies, they allowed way too many soft shots on net.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
players sometimes have off games
his unfortunately was in the gold medal game

and the round robin play against the usa. but thats not bad he looked great against power houses like latvia, swiss, slovakia. allen had 2 games where he needed to show case his stuff, and both times he came up short.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
There is a facebook group recently made saying he let down 33 million Canadians. I see posts on here saying he lost the gold for Canada. Trust me he is being bashed

Whe a team loses a game by 1 goal and the goalie lets in a goal on a gift it could be his fault.:sarcasm:

Que Sera Sera

Dec 30, 2009
Ontario, Canada
He's a legal adult who failed at what he does in life in front of a large audience. The criticism is deserved. Sure people are overreacting and the one bad game should do nothing to ruin what can be a great career, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing the guy or his poor play.
I agree with you- people are overreacting, but there is at least SOME warranted criticism. Honestly, Allen wasn't that good.
But I love hearing that there was "terrible reffing." Are you kidding?
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad