WJC: Jake Allen haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
In my opinion, the game was lost by coaching. The USA coach switched his goalie after the 3rd goal because he knew he was shaky and played Campbell. Team Canada waited until the 5th goal to pull Allen who was equally as shaky.

Kiprusoff*

The third and last goal he let pass him was his fault but he had no chance with 1st and 2nd goals.. they were like dream shots, even Kiprusoff would have problems with them.

If Canadians have to find somebody to blame, you should blame great American attackers.

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN
Allen played bad both games against the US... he didn't step up when the team needed him the most...

He went up against 5+ odd man rushes and stopped nearly all of them. His defense was non existent, and when it was a 2-3 on 1, it was often Teubert back and all he was good for was screening Allen. He wasn't spectacular, but he gave them a chance to win. He had a bad game gold game, get over it.

The third and last goal he let pass him was his fault but he had no chance with 1st and 2nd goals.. they were like dream shots, even Kiprusoff would have problems with them.

If Canadians have to find somebody to blame, you should blame great American attackers.

No we should stop *****footing around and blame our team and coach. We constantly turned the puck over and couldn't maintain a cycle for longer than 30 seconds. The US played a great strategy in solely capitalizing on other teams mistakes with their speed. It killed Canada and Sweden. Props to their coaches.

Allen was bad, but it wasn't like the team in front of him was any better. Eberle was unbelievable in the third, but I would've like more hustle from him in the 2nd (Although Schenn was pretty useless that game) and not to mention Hall's bag boys who did nothing all tourny long. It didn't help we didn't have Petro for 10 minutes, and Scandella looked lost without Hamonic. We had no hustle, and that was a well deserved loss. It sucks to say, but we were severely outplayed.

I hate fleury and now i hate allen..

Nothing you can do about it Jake Allen's mom...He was the main reason we lost and thats that.

So your saying the goalie is the first to blame. You should be a Leaf fan.

Last edited:

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
So your saying the goalie is the first to blame. You should be a Leaf fan.[/QUOTE]

No im not, the coach is 1st to blame, then USA's speed/campbell, then goaltending.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
To all the Jake Allen haters/bad mouthers I would like to remind you that he is a young player, 18 years old.

Don't forget the puck goes past 5 other players before it gets to him.

The U.S figured out his weak points before Canada figured out Mark Lee.

Cut Allen some slack, he is young and he would be nervous. There are many factors that can be to blame for the loss. Things like the fairly one sided reffing, Hamonic injury, Pietriangelo being in the box for 12 minutes, the intense American shot blocking, oh and the fact that the rest of the Canadian players were not playing their best for a lot of the game.

I would love to see all you bashers go in nets in a gold medal game with millions of people watching you and the rink being packed with fans cheering and expecting a gold medal.

You can blame a couple goals on Allen, but to say that he is to blame for Canada not winning gold is far from true. You can't blame losing a tournament on 1 person.

You are right about everything but I think even Jake would admit that he pretty much did cost them the game. When you score 5 goals in a hockey game you should win. The only goal that you can't blame him for was the D'Amigo 2 on 1 goal, the others were absolutely terrible.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Yes, he was the reason we lost. Am I going to bash him to no end? No. I was frustrated in the way he played and how the coaching staff handled it. Everybody makes mistakes, believe me when I say that he feels like ****. He's going to rebound and I hope he has a good career.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I don't blame Allen. I'm more annoyed with the staff for not seeing the obvious. I was listening to the game on radio while driving to my brothers place. It was 2-2 at that point in the 2nd. Both commentators opined that Allen looked nervous and shaky. It was at that time that the bench and staff should have noticed this and put Jones in or give Allen the benefit of the doubt for 1 more goal and then make the switch.

that was my call...after the 2nd goal they clearly had his number(both were of the``should have had it``variety, over the glove....)

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN
You are right about everything but I think even Jake would admit that he pretty much did cost them the game. When you score 5 goals in a hockey game you should win. The only goal that you can't blame him for was the D'Amigo 2 on 1 goal, the others were absolutely terrible.

No bad neutral zone turnovers and bad pinching cost them the game. He simply didn't play well enough to make up for it. Some of those goals were definitely routine, but people seem to forget the pathetic showing Canada had the first two periods. One player can never cost a team the game. If the whole team was in cohesion, and lost because of one player, they had no place to win in the first place. No team is in complete cohesion. Unless the goalie himself causes the turnover, every goal is caused by some kind of defensive folly somewhere along the line.

Goalies simply get blamed because they're the last defense. Their job entails bailing out other people's mistakes. If every goal was like the bad turnover he made, and the lack of pokecheck, then yes it was mostly all his fault. But, it wasn't so he did not cost his team the game. They were outplayed for 50 minutes, they never deserved a win in the first place.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
So he had a bad game anyone who plays/played or follows hockey knows that it happens. Move on and use failures to motivate for future competition.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
He's a legal adult who failed at what he does in life in front of a large audience. The criticism is deserved. Sure people are overreacting and the one bad game should do nothing to ruin what can be a great career, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing the guy or his poor play.

You're right he has earned the criticism. But the one I think I am more mad at is Desjardins for keeping him in there. The USA was killing him, exposing him. Sometimes goalies have bad games. He did that night and I think Desjardins did an awful job as a coach all around and pulled him way too late. After the third goal he should have been yanked. Desjardins picked the team and got wildly outcoached in the gold medal game. As bas as Allen did, Desjardins is more to blame for everything.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
You're right he has earned the criticism. But the one I think I am more mad at is Desjardins for keeping him in there. The USA was killing him, exposing him. Sometimes goalies have bad games. He did that night and I think Desjardins did an awful job as a coach all around and pulled him way too late. After the third goal he should have been yanked. Desjardins picked the team and got wildly outcoached in the gold medal game. As bas as Allen did, Desjardins is more to blame for everything.

Bingo. It was painfully obvious early in the game that USA had picked Allen's weaknesses apart and were exposing them. You could even see this weakness being exposed in the NYE game. At this point the coach has to make that change.

It's one thing when a goalie is having a rough start and the coach wants to give him the chance to redeem himself. But this was different; this was a case where particular weaknesses had been exposed and goalie confidence was rattled. I could see this on a standard definition 32" television, so certainly the coach should have seen it from the bench!

peicurler91

Mar 15, 2008
PEI
Well you guys honestly can't tell me that Martin Brodeur or Patrick Roy didn't have bad games.

Some of you make it sound like Allen is the only goalie in the history of hockey to have a bad game. Every goalie has a bad game and sadly for Allen it came in the game that mattered the most

Look at it this way, for Canada to have 2 losses in the past 6 years is really good. Oh I happen to recall that the New England Patriots had a poor game a few years ago, I know they lost that game but what were they? 19-0 going into the Superbowl?

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Well you guys honestly can't tell me that Martin Brodeur or Patrick Roy didn't have bad games.

Some of you make it sound like Allen is the only goalie in the history of hockey to have a bad game. Every goalie has a bad game and sadly for Allen it came in the game that mattered the most

Look at it this way, for Canada to have 2 losses in the past 6 years is really good. Oh I happen to recall that the New England Patriots had a poor game a few years ago, I know they lost that game but what were they? 19-0 going into the Superbowl?

Nobody is really saying he's a bad goalie, people are saying he's the reason Canada lost the game....because he had a bad game. It's forgivable to have a bad game, just the fact that it came in the biggest game of his life up to this point is going to bring about some criticism and there's really no avoiding that.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca

Are you related to the guy or something? You seem to be making such a big deal out of this, when from what I've seen, no one is really giving him a hard time, other than a little deserved criticism (although I do find the "Thanks for the Silver Jake Allen" and "Jake Allen will never have sex again" Facebook groups hilarious). Everyone understands that it was just one bad game.

Last edited:

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
To all the Jake Allen haters/bad mouthers I would like to remind you that he is a young player, 18 years old.

Don't forget the puck goes past 5 other players before it gets to him.

The U.S figured out his weak points before Canada figured out Mark Lee.

Cut Allen some slack, he is young and he would be nervous. There are many factors that can be to blame for the loss. Things like the fairly one sided reffing, Hamonic injury, Pietriangelo being in the box for 12 minutes, the intense American shot blocking, oh and the fact that the rest of the Canadian players were not playing their best for a lot of the game.

I would love to see all you bashers go in nets in a gold medal game with millions of people watching you and the rink being packed with fans cheering and expecting a gold medal.

You can blame a couple goals on Allen, but to say that he is to blame for Canada not winning gold is far from true. You can't blame losing a tournament on 1 person.

Are you his dad?

I don't get why you can't give criticism to a player just cause he is young? You need to learn to handle that early on, even more as a pro athletic. He was crap and he has no one else to blame for it than himself, end of story. If he will bounce back or not, well that's once again up to him.

cfrancis

I don't blame Allen for the loss. It was quite obvious that we didn't have the goaltending that we had become accustomed to in previous years. But that's not Allen's fault.

Canada had their opportunities to get 10 goals. Their goalie just shone when needed.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Who cooks and cleans up for our nation's 19 year olds? Perhaps your transition into adulthood was just a little delayed...

Don't know what my moving out at age 18 (a decade and a half ago) has to do with anything. The point all along was that in everyone's eyes he is still young, and that's a key factor in many people's reluctance to overly criticize his performance. That and, while a nation remains disappointed in the outcome, his performance didn't affect the fortunes of a multi-billion dollar pro sports franchise, nor an Olympic team, so most probably won't feel the need to tear the guy down while they might had that been the case. Speaking as a Canadian, of course.

I'm sorry if you grew up under a military tyrant who punished childhood mistakes or displays of weakness with berating, lashes, pushups, and laps, forcing you to "grow up" and learn the hard knocks of responsibility at a very young age. I, on the other hand, was raised and encouraged to be adventurous, take reasonable risks, and learn from my mistakes without fear of severe repercussions.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
No bad neutral zone turnovers and bad pinching cost them the game. He simply didn't play well enough to make up for it. Some of those goals were definitely routine, but people seem to forget the pathetic showing Canada had the first two periods. One player can never cost a team the game. If the whole team was in cohesion, and lost because of one player, they had no place to win in the first place. No team is in complete cohesion. Unless the goalie himself causes the turnover, every goal is caused by some kind of defensive folly somewhere along the line.

Goalies simply get blamed because they're the last defense. Their job entails bailing out other people's mistakes. If every goal was like the bad turnover he made, and the lack of pokecheck, then yes it was mostly all his fault. But, it wasn't so he did not cost his team the game. They were outplayed for 50 minutes, they never deserved a win in the first place.

Come on, those were saves that needed to and should have been made. There is no way you should be letting a wrister from a bad angle go over your glove, thats just bad positioning. Sure, Canada had a tough time handling the U.S's speed which made it look like they were being outplayed, but then again if Allen makes those routine saves then no one would be saying that Canada got outplayed. I don't recall any sustained pressure in Canada's zone. All of their goals came right off the rush. To be honest I didn't think Canada got outplayed in the game, they just got outplayed on the scoreboard due to easy saves not being made by their goaltender. If he could have even stopped two of those, Canada would have won.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Come on, those were saves that needed to and should have been made. There is no way you should be letting a wrister from a bad angle go over your glove, thats just bad positioning. Sure, Canada had a tough time handling the U.S's speed which made it look like they were being outplayed, but then again if Allen makes those routine saves then no one would be saying that Canada got outplayed. I don't recall any sustained pressure in Canada's zone. All of their goals came right off the rush. To be honest I didn't think Canada got outplayed in the game, they just got outplayed on the scoreboard due to easy saves not being made by their goaltender. If he could have even stopped two of those, Canada would have won.

This man speaks the truth. Now American fans will counter with "well Lee should have saved 2 or 3 of those goals so it's a wash". That maybe true, but it's not what we're talking about here. All other things being equal, if Canada gets the goaltending it has become accustomed to (among best in tournament - see Pogge, Price, Mason for recent examples), then Canada wins this game.

Also, intelligent posters here are NOT blaming Allen for the loss. Every goalie has a bad game - it happens. They are blaming coaching for not recognizing that Allen wasn't going to get the job done that day and not yanking him after the soft goals.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Bolded part is not true for when Allen was in the game. I believe the shots were something like 29-16 for the US when Allen was pulled.

that isn't true. The US was outshooting Canada until Lee was pulled. As soon as Campbell came in net, it was an onslaught.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Jake Allen gave the ceremonial puck drop tonight in Fredericton at a CIS game. The 3500 fans in attendance gave him a standing ovation. After I saw him signing autographs for some kids in the crowd. Once seeing him up close it really hit me that he is just a kid himself. I wish him the best of luck in the future.

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
that isn't true. The US was outshooting Canada until Lee was pulled. As soon as Campbell came in net, it was an onslaught.

Well the numbers might not be exact but the US still had a fairly decent shot advantage when Allen was yanked. Allen and Campbell faced the same amount of shots in the second then considering half of Canada's shots came in the third period I believe it's a pretty fair assessment. Especially since the game was fairly evenly played for the first 10-12 minutes of the third and Allen was yanked ~6 minutes in.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
allen should of had the 1st and 2nd goals (he was way out of position for both of them) any athlete who has trained for his entire life and is playing on the biggest stage of them all for jr hockey would of picked those corners.

the 3rd and 4th goals he had no chance on a 2 on 1, and the shot from the point which allen was screened by 4 players (he never saw that puck till it was to late).

the 5th and final goal he should of had, once again he was out of position and slow with the glove.

and the 6th goal, the game winner for the back up goalie. was a goal that should of been had also. he cheated and played the pass, and you could tell he was out of position for just how akward he looked after the shot went passed him, like he was about to fall over.

yes allen will take blame for this loss, but the coach should of known after the 2nd goal, that allen just wasn't on his game. and just watching the game on tsn, me and my friends could tell he was rattled. after every goal, he would skate around the net without even looking at it, and after the 3rd he even looked at the bench. which is a sign of a goalie knowing he shouldn't be in the game.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
He was ****ing horrible. There. I said it. He needs to learn to play more of a stand-up game if he ever plans on succeeding at any higher level, dropping to his knees every shot, no matter where its taken from is simply not going to cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad