NFL: Jaguars will pick first in the 2021 NFL Draft

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Thing is, if he doesn't come out...chances are he will be a Jaguar or Jet in 2022 anyway.

The SOS gap between NYJ and JAX grew even more today. It's to the point where you can ignore it. Jags finish tied with Jets and the 1st pick is theirs.
It may be worth the gamble to stay another year though. How many top QB prospects have the Jets ruined?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It may be worth the gamble to stay another year though. How many top QB prospects have the Jets ruined?
I would say 1.

Let's get real Mark Sanchez failed himself, not the Jets. He was in the perfect situation he just was not good enough. He had the best running game, he had a great offensive line, he had one of the best defense in the game to support him. He was just a poor QB with a poor football IQ.

Geno Smith was not good enough and would not have made it anywhere else. The guy was running a gimmick offense and he was also very dumb.

Sam Darnold is the biggest failure and let down by a franchise in NFL history. The guy is not perfect but he has an NFL future. He never had a good supporting cast, awful offensive, worst head coach is NFL history. He might not ever become the franchise QB he should have been but it is not a lost case for him.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I would say 1.

Let's get real Mark Sanchez failed himself, not the Jets. He was in the perfect situation he just was not good enough. He had the best running game, he had a great offensive line, he had one of the best defense in the game to support him. He was just a poor QB with a poor football IQ.

Geno Smith was not good enough and would not have made it anywhere else. The guy was running a gimmick offense and he was also very dumb.

Sam Darnold is the biggest failure and let down by a franchise in NFL history. The guy is not perfect but he has an NFL future. He never had a good supporting cast, awful offensive, worst head coach is NFL history. He might not ever become the franchise QB he should have been but it is not a lost case for him.
I agree that some of those guys are not entirely the Jets fault, but they still hitched their wagon to them. Darnold is a real travesty. It also doesnt help that the Jets are in such disarray that people dont know whether their DC is purposely trying to throw games or is just grossly incompetent

member 157595

Realistically, Trevor Lawrence is very likely not staying in school another year and he's 100% definitely not playing another year of NCAA football.

The only real question is whether or not he's willing to go to whatever team is picking first. I firmly believe that if Gase is still the head coach after the season is over, Lawrence's advisors will strongly encourage him to not sign a contract with the Jets. Plain and simple, Adam Gase outright ruins young offensive talent, especially quarterbacks, and has no business setting foot inside a NFL dressing room ever again. If the Jets set up a good coaching staff, I don't imagine there being any problem in them getting Lawrence to sign.

The Jets have to lose out because they lose the tiebreaker with the Jaguars. Every Jet fan I know was jumping for joy when Henry Ruggs caught that touchdown pass because they are smart enough to know the best chance to turn the team around is to A) clean house in the coaching department (which is likely if they go 0-16); and B) solidify access to the best quarterback prospect since Andrew Luck. Wins not only do not help, they are extraordinarily counterproductive.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
where would he rank among current QBs in terms of hype?

I know that he is the most highly touted prospect since Luck but I feel like he is definitely a step below Mahomes. In fact, there was debate last season regarding whether he was better than Joe Burrow.

When I watch Clemson, I surprisingly find that his biggest asset often seems to be his legs rather than his arm.

member 157595

where would he rank among current QBs in terms of hype?

I know that he is the most highly touted prospect since Luck but I feel like he is definitely a step below Mahomes. In fact, there was debate last season regarding whether he was better than Joe Burrow.

When I watch Clemson, I surprisingly find that his biggest asset often seems to be his legs rather than his arm.

Mahomes' pre-draft hype was negligible compared to Lawrence. He had the arm but hadn't put it all together nearly enough to warrant being a "generational" QB prospect. Of course, he turned out to be a generational QB at the NFL level later on as he rapidly learned to put his ludicrous talent to effective use, but don't conflate Mahomes post-draft with pre-draft. Many didn't have him even at the top of their QB list that year.

In terms of pre-draft hype, Lawrence is up there with Luck, Manning and Elway when it comes to rare, absolute can't miss QB prospects (obviously, I'm not saying he's the next John Elway, but he's nearly in that tier of QB prospect.) I'm a Bengals fan and Lawrence is a better QB prospect than Burrow was at the time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There’d be nothing wrong with saying he’s the next John Elway. Quite frankly I think the hype should be greater than it is for him. His accomplishments are greater than those of Manning, Luck, or Elway and by a fairly large margin to go with his skill set. If there’s one thing about him, I’d say he has to add some weight because he is kind of lanky for his size, but his dual-threat ability. The only team that beat him arguably had the best offense in the history of college football history.

member 157595

There’d be nothing wrong with saying he’s the next John Elway. Quite frankly I think the hype should be greater than it is for him. His accomplishments are greater than those of Manning, Luck, or Elway and by a fairly large margin to go with his skill set. If there’s one thing about him, I’d say he has to add some weight because he is kind of lanky for his size, but his dual-threat ability. The only team that beat him arguably had the best offense in the history of college football history.

As a prospect, he's in the same tier as Elway was coming out of Stanford: a can't-miss talent that doesn't come around every year. He's worth tanking for.

If he leads the Jets to even 1 Super Bowl victory, he'll be a legend in NY forever, and forever is a long time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Elway/Luck came out of Stanford, which is a solid program, but not a National Powerhouse like Clemson has been in the past several years. Tenn was a top program around the Manning era, winning the National Championship the year after he left for the NFL.

So, NCAA accomplishments, I wouldn't compare between the players. More a result of the school that they picked. If Luck/Elway went to a top 5-10 ranked program, then they would likely have been in the hunt for a National Championship.

I agree with the point on Lawrence's build. Very lanky. Don't expect him to have a great OLine when he arrives in the NFL. I would hope that the Jets take another OLineman with either Seattle's first rounder or their own 2nd. Need to add to Becton and find a veteran in free agency. OLine more valuable to Lawrence than weapons. And who knows what they end up with for Darnold.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Mahomes' pre-draft hype was negligible compared to Lawrence. He had the arm but hadn't put it all together nearly enough to warrant being a "generational" QB prospect. Of course, he turned out to be a generational QB at the NFL level later on as he rapidly learned to put his ludicrous talent to effective use, but don't conflate Mahomes post-draft with pre-draft. Many didn't have him even at the top of their QB list that year.

In terms of pre-draft hype, Lawrence is up there with Luck, Manning and Elway when it comes to rare, absolute can't miss QB prospects (obviously, I'm not saying he's the next John Elway, but he's nearly in that tier of QB prospect.) I'm a Bengals fan and Lawrence is a better QB prospect than Burrow was at the time.

I understand that he is perceived as a once-in-a-lifetime prospect and I do remember Trubisky and Watson being better prospects than Mahomes at the time. However, I am wondering where Lawrence will truly rank with the QBs of this era. Which of these three options is the most likely once we see him in the NFL:

a) Mahomes, then Lawrence and then everybody else;
b) Mahomes (1A) and Lawrence (1B);
c) Lawrence somwhere in the tier of Watson, Kyler Murray and Joe Burrow when all is said and done?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I understand that he is perceived as a once-in-a-lifetime prospect and I do remember Trubisky and Watson being better prospects than Mahomes at the time. However, I am wondering where Lawrence will truly rank with the QBs of this era. Which of these three options is the most likely once we see him in the NFL:

a) Mahomes, then Lawrence and then everybody else;
b) Mahomes (1A) and Lawrence (1B);
c) Lawrence somwhere in the tier of Watson, Kyler Murray and Joe Burrow when all is said and done?
Highly doubt he will be better than Mahomes. I think people are talking just about hype and readiness this the elway and luck comparisons.

Mahomes has the better arm in both strength and ability to make improvised throws. I find Lawrence a better athlete in terms of mobility and speed.

Mahomes shown how coachable he is learning from Reid. Who will Lawrence get to learn from?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Cowboys beat the Bengals, keeping the Bengals in control of the 3rd overall pick and taking the Cowboys out of the 3 win column. As it stands there is now a clear top 5 of

Jets
Jaguars
Bengals
Chargers
Eagles

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jaguars lose again, maintain control of the 2nd overall pick.
Jets down 30-3 with 20 minutes left in the game. And Seattle is well within FG range too.

jets still maintaining the 1st OA pick.

Philly surprisingly up 17-0 on the Saints.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
No real change in SOS either. Jets still have the much tougher schedule.

Basically if you are a Jets fan and you don't want to go 0-16, you hope for:

- The Bears to lose in Minnesota next week, which will all but end their playoff hopes, and then the dejected Bears no show their week 16 game in JAX.
- The Colts have their playoff spot clinched BUT they can't win the division in week 17 when they host the Jags, leading to the Colts resting a bunch of key players.

Otherwise...it comes down to whether Bill Belichick is evil enough (and smart enough) to tank that week 17 game to keep Lawrence out of the division...

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Jets again lose and maintain control of the first overall pick. The Chargers also won today, and the Eagles are about to win, which would completely erase the 3 win column, and all but solidify the Jets, Jaguars, and Bengals have the top 3 picks.

member 157595

This week couldn't have gone better for a Bengals fan.

Chargers win. Cowboys win and beat the Bengals in the process. Eagles win. Jaguars reaffirm their need for a QB at #2.

I like it. I like it a lot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
obviously they are not in the TL sweepstakes but I wonder how much noise the Atlanta Falcons will be making for a QB in the draft
Can’t trade up for either of the top 2 guys. Could draft Lance, Wilson if they want or trade down a bit for Jones or Trask.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
It was the perfect week for the Eagles tank, until they decided to beat the Saints. Would have been 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad