Value of: Jagr back to Pittsburgh

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
As a Flyers fan, even I would pull for the Pens to win the Cup if they got Jagr back. I don't know what it would take - I think it depends on where Florida sees themselves as a threat to win the Cup. I think it would also take Jagr wanting to go back to Pitt.

In sheer value, it wouldn't take much. I would say no higher than a 2nd round pick, but maybe lower.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
I know that Jags doesn't have the speed but I do think that he could adapt him game to play with Malkin. i think it would allow you to keep HBK as the 3rd line and I think he could really jolt the team with his locker room presence. Plus as a guy who was 9 years old in 91 when the Pens won their first cup, I just want to see it happen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know that Jags doesn't have the speed but I do think that he could adapt him game to play with Malkin. i think it would allow you to keep HBK as the 3rd line and I think he could really jolt the team with his locker room presence. Plus as a guy who was 9 years old in 91 when the Pens won their first cup, I just want to see it happen.

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel

So why do they need another RWer?

jboyd919

Oct 30, 2011
Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Jagr
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
Kunitz-Cullen-Rust

uhh.. sign me up.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Where the Hell are we supposed to put Jagr? I see no place to play him at even strength and I definitely see no place to put him on the first powerplay.

jboyd919

Oct 30, 2011
Where the Hell are we supposed to put Jagr? I see no place to play him at even strength and I definitely see no place to put him on the first powerplay.

Malkin's right wing, move Horny to the 1st line, drop Rust to the 4th where he belongs.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Not sure Jagr has the speed to fit the Pens. If they hire Berube off the dirt heap and he brings everything to a grinding halt then he'd fit.

jboyd919

Oct 30, 2011
Not sure Jagr has the speed to fit the Pens. If they hire Berube off the dirt heap and he brings everything to a grinding halt then he'd fit.

Pens aren't all fast. As long as you can think the game at a high speed, said player can work in the Pens system. (Bonino, Maatta, Cole, Hornqvist, etc.)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Some people just can't let go.

There's nothing more I want than to see Jagr join the Pens and then win back 2 back with him and he retires, but we all know that he won't retire, he'll just go on to another team and then another and then finally retire.

That and he might fit really well with Bonino, but it might also mess up the team's style. I think the Pens could make Jagr work, but it'd be a lot of making other things work. Like when Geno, Sheary & Hagelin are back...

Sheary, Crosby, Hornqvist
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel
Guentzel, Bonino, Jagr
Kunitz/Wilson/Kuhnhackl, Cullen, Rust/Fehr

Is it worth it?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Malkin's right wing, move Horny to the 1st line, drop Rust to the 4th where he belongs.

Rust has 12 goals in 50 games this year. He's not a 4th liner. This is, incidentally, 8 more goals than Jagr has at even strength.

jboyd919

Oct 30, 2011
Rust has 12 goals in 50 games this year. He's not a 4th liner. This is, incidentally, 8 more goals than Jagr has at even strength.

Right. I'm aware. So, what your saying is (if this is what you believe) You would not like to add a skilled hockey player in Jagr and drop the non-4th line Rust to the 4th line, giving Cullen more skill than Kuhnackle making the 4th line even better, while adding to the Pens 2nd line?

I'm just a fan of improving my team and adding depth. Das all.

Last edited:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Would love to see him back in a Pens uniform and retire here. But just is not a fit. Do not see how it could possibly work to make us better. Could potentially be a disaster.

jboyd919

Oct 30, 2011
Would love to see him back in a Pens uniform and retire here. But just is not a fit. Do not see how it could possibly work to make us better. Could potentially be a disaster.

Please explain how adding a skilled hockey player and pushing other skilled hockey players down the lineup, while pushing lesser skilled guys (Kuhn and Fehr) out of the lineup could potentially be a disaster.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Please explain how adding a skilled hockey player and pushing other skilled hockey players down the lineup, while pushing lesser skilled guys (Kuhn and Fehr) out of the lineup could potentially be a E disaster.

Just my opinion that the style the Pens play now is not a fit for Jags and to push young skilled players down on a position that is not a need for that up tempo game isn't worth the risk. And I don't think Jagr would want a reduced role if it came to that. Potential to disrupt imo. Key word is potentially.

Your view that it is some sort of slam dunk to work I don't have that opinion. Would love it if it did.

jboyd919

Oct 30, 2011
Just my opinion that the style the Pens play now is not a fit for Jags and to push young skilled players down on a position that is not a need for that up tempo game isn't worth the risk. And I don't think Jagr would want a reduced role if it came to that. Potential to disrupt imo. Key word is potentially.

Your view that it is some sort of slam dunk to work I don't have that opinion. Would love it if it did.

Oh I was just asking, wasn't meant to be a dick. Kinda came off like it, mah bad. I was just trying to express how I viewed the trade effecting the Pens lineup

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
Has Jagr taken any games off this year or has he played all of them. He looked absolutely toast in the PO last year. I think at his age he needs about 20 healthy scratches for him to be anything close to effective in the spring, and I doubt his ego would let that happen. And that's even before we get to the fit and style issues other posters have brought up.

Anyway. Prob not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad