Prospect Info: Jagger Firkus (Round 2 Pick #35 OVR - 2022 Draft)

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Having a nice discussion with my friends about prospects. How do you guys rank Firkus compared to your other forward prospects?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Having a nice discussion with my friends about prospects. How do you guys rank Firkus compared to your other forward prospects?

It's a tough one for me.

Talent wise he's probably top 3 given his scoring ability.
The problem is his body/weight which will determine if he can actually become an NHL player or not and that's still up in the air.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
It's a tough one for me.

Talent wise he's probably top 3 given his scoring ability.
The problem is his body/weight which will determine if he can actually become an NHL player or not and that's still up in the air.
Johnny(Hockey)Gaudreau wasn't any bigger maybe even smaller than Firkus when Calgary Flames drafted him...todays game wants and has more emphasis on Speed and Skill than ever before especially with the goons becoming ex"stink"

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I know they aren't the same, but he sort of reminds me of a more talented Nick Petan. Size is going to be a big problem for him.
After a year and half in the Minors maybe less Firkus(the new Circus) gets put with Beniers and McCann man and lights it up...that's my hope for him anyways or gets put with Rehkopf and Fisker-Molgaard to form the Rookie line in 2-3 years that just "kills it"!!!

Reactions: majormajor

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
My hope is Firkus is so pissed from being left off Team Canada(real Dumb move by whoever thought this one through) that he pumps himself up and puts on some mass without cutting into his speed and in a year,year and half comes to Seattle and claims a spot in the Top 9

Lacrosse goal!

JFirkus is the New Circus cause Tony Hrkac was the first Circus but Jagger will be better

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Johnny(Hockey)Gaudreau wasn't any bigger maybe even smaller than Firkus when Calgary Flames drafted him...todays game wants and has more emphasis on Speed and Skill than ever before especially with the goons becoming ex"stink"

That would be great.

But for every Johnny Gaudreau there's at least ten other guys(at the same size/weight) that didn't make it.

Finger crossed Firkus can be one of those exceptions.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That would be great.

But for every Johnny Gaudreau there's at least ten other guys(at the same size/weight) that didn't make it.

Finger crossed Firkus can be one of those exceptions.

There's a good number like Tyler Ennis and Tyler Johnson that show a lot of early promise but get too dinged up and don't last. Heck, Yamamoto was great in his first season in the NHL, but you play a gritty game at elbow height, you're going to have some eventual cognition issues.

There's this perpetual story about small players taking over the league (The new NHL!), there are many good ones in the league at around age 22, but what nobody seems to notice is that they're underrepresented among older players largely because those same players are getting hurt. It's not a new breed, it's smaller guys who haven't gotten dinged yet.

Stocky players like Gourde (or Danforth or Marchand) are in another category for me, they can take contact without getting their bell run. And elite skaters like the Hughes brothers are in another category too, as they never take contact unless its own their terms. Unfortunately Firkus is not in those categories. But he is slippery and not super short either.

Reactions: kihei

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
I’m really excited and can’t wait to be the first in line to join the Firkus Circus. I think he’s going to be a force for the Kraken in the future.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I’m really excited and can’t wait to be the first in line to join the Firkus Circus. I think he’s going to be a force for the Kraken in the future.
I think he is the most offensively gifted player in our prospect pool. Next season though is going to be a big test for him. The jump from juniors to the AHL is going to be challenging for him given his size.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad