Jacques Martin's Effect on the Team Thus Far

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Same reason we got Vokoun a few years ago. In case Fleury **** the bed the Pens had a guy who could fill the role interium.

The problem is that management makes these good plans, but then doesn't actually implement them.

I could see DB getting pulled in game 3, and Martin coaching them to the conference finals. Then next year the team decides that Dan is still the coach.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If Martin were to take over as head coach in the near future, he wouldn't have to be a knight in shining armor, just don't be Bylsma. If Martin was head coach, I can't say with any certainty how long he would last. However, I can say with a lot of certainty that this team will NOT win again under Dan Bylsma. The way I see it, the Penguins have nothing to lose turning to Jacques Martin to let him coach the remainder of the regular season and the playoffs. If the Penguins still have a flame-out under Martin, then major changes needed to be made in the off season anyways.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
If Martin were to take over as head coach in the near future, he wouldn't have to be a knight in shining armor, just don't be Bylsma. If Martin was head coach, I can't say with any certainty how long he would last. However, I can say with a lot of certainty that this team will NOT win again under Dan Bylsma. The way I see it, the Penguins have nothing to lose turning to Jacques Martin to let him coach the remainder of the regular season and the playoffs. If the Penguins still have a flame-out under Martin, then major changes needed to be made in the off season anyways.

Good post, I think Martin would be the short term answer, but it will never happen. Not at least until the Penguins fall flat on their faces in the first or second round again this year. This team is in desperate need of discipline. I kind of like Peter Laviolette, has the offensive style like Bylsma, but doesn't neglect defense!!! Plus he promotes discipline, something that elludes ol' coach Dan.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Martin's overall effect on the team can be summed up thusly -- he's now on the Pittsburgh Penguins payroll. That's about the list. Outside of the first few weeks... I see no discernible change in strategy or philosophy. Maybe he's working with players more, individually. I dunno. The team or media never really says.

I would be appalled if he were the next Penguins coach. I like having an outside voice, I suppose (though it doesn't seem to be a strong one) and maybe he'd be alright in an assistant role... but the guy has the stink of loser all over him, IMO. Just like Waddell. They say you can never have enough former executives or experienced coaches on your team. I disagree. I don't see the point in handing out important jobs to washouts, underachievers and flat-out failures.

Oh... and like JTG said a few posts up... his only real role was to be some sort of caretaker for Disco. Which is rather pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad