Jacques Martin's Effect on the Team Thus Far

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
In the first two months of the season it appeared as if Martin's presence was felt. The Penguins were not giving up many goals and they were using the left-wing lock to minimize the opponents chances. Fast-forward a few months and the Penguins are playing the style of hockey that got them humiliated by the Flyers two years ago. It just seems so painfully obvious that Martin's role on the coaching staff is being minimized.

If you're Ray Shero, how are you not infuriated? How can you accept Martin not being used because of Bylsma's ego when the team desperately needs it? Injuries and poor forward depth have taken a toll on this team, but that's not an excuse for some of the inexplicably stupid play we've seen.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
He was brought in because Bylsma was going to be busy with the Olympics. Everything else was internet histrionics, as usual. No conspiracies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Tough to speculate on this. We're kind of blind to the internal dynamics of the coaching staff. For example: why was Granato taken to the Olympics instead of Rierden?

Last I heard about Jacques Martin was that he disagreed with the rest of them about Dustin Jeffrey (though this isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of his judgment...or mine tbh...I thought Jeffrey had at least something to contribute, but I guess not).

We know how that worked out: glued to a seat in the press box then waived.

There was a point in which Martin would be drawing stuff up on the boards during T/Os, but it's been a while since I can remember that happening.

Whether he's checked out, Herbie Brooks-style, or if Mr Personality has brainwashed him...I mean, we'd pretty much be armed men firing blindfolded at the gun range on the topic.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Well, when you sign someone to a year lease that person usually stays in the apartment for the year right?

Good point. Still doesn't explain why the coaches are minimizing him and setting themselves up to look incredibly stupid.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
He was brought in because Bylsma was going to be busy with the Olympics. Everything else was internet histrionics, as usual. No conspiracies.

Yah I'm pretty sure that's not the reason. The existing Assistant coaches could've easily handled the light practices and other stuff going on during the break. Otherwise Bylsma was with the team the whole time (the Olympic stuff just meant working OT / extra days, not neglecting the Penguins).

He was brought in for the most obvious reason: if Shero is forced to get rid of Bylsma, he has his back-up plan already in the orgnization, knowing the players and knowing the systems. There was no better option out there at the time and Shero doesn't want to finish this season with [his pants down] if the Bylsma thing goes south again. Martin is a Shero type coach. I'm not sure how anyone misses the writing on the wall here.

As for his effect... I agree with Cole. It's hard to tell for sure because we're not in any of the meetings, etc.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yah I'm pretty sure that's not the reason. The existing Assistant coaches could've easily handled the light practices and other stuff going on during the break. Otherwise Bylsma was with the team the whole time (the Olympic stuff just meant working OT / extra days, not neglecting the Penguins).

He was brought in for the most obvious reason: if Shero is forced to get rid of Bylsma, he has his back-up plan already in the orgnization, knowing the players and knowing the systems. There was no better option out there at the time and Shero doesn't want to finish this season with [his pants down] if the Bylsma thing goes south again. Martin is a Shero type coach. I'm not sure how anyone misses the writing on the wall here.

As for his effect... I agree with Cole. It's hard to tell for sure because we're not in any of the meetings, etc.

I tend to agree with this sentiment. Given the fact that it looks like the Penguins are heading into a slump during the wrong time of the year, I wonder if that would force Shero to fire Bylsma and put Martin in charge? No way can he allow what happened in 2012 to happen again. I know injuries and crappy forward depth aren't Bylsma's fault, but there's plenty of other issues with the Penguins that are his fault. Given said injuries and poor forward depth, the Penguins don't need things to be made worse with Bylsma's poor coaching.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'd like to think they picked up J.Martin in the case of DB not delivering again but that wouldn't make sense with Shero/Bylsma being so close.

From my perspective he's just an observer/advisor and those supposedly "in the know" said he's doing more work with the forwards defensive aspects of the game moreso than the D. Rierdon has the D.

That said. I dunno for sure.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I'd like to think they picked up J.Martin in the case of DB not delivering again but that wouldn't make sense with Shero/Bylsma being so close.

From my perspective he's just an observer/advisor and those supposedly "in the know" said he's doing more work with the forwards defensive aspects of the game moreso than the D. Rierdon has the D.

Maybe ownership told Shero to have a Plan B in case Bylsma ***** the bed.

ObsessedCreative*

That is only going to last for so long, until a point and time comes where Shero is going to need to cut ties with this ass-hat in order to save his own ass...

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Martin has obviously had input, but the changes did more to expose weaknesses than fix problems. Our defense collapses far more than it used to, which doesnt fit all of the personnel as well as the older system, or at least doesnt play to their strengths. Taking the defense out of the uber agressive offensive system has exposed a severe lack of scoring depth. The team doesnt seem to have the patience to play the counterattacking style that fits Martins system strengths very well, so im not sure he is the savior people tend to think of him as...

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Martin has obviously had input, but the changes did more to expose weaknesses than fix problems. Our defense collapses far more than it used to, which doesnt fit all of the personnel as well as the older system, or at least doesnt play to their strengths. Taking the defense out of the uber agressive offensive system has exposed a severe lack of scoring depth. The team doesnt seem to have the patience to play the counterattacking style that fits Martins system strengths very well, so im not sure he is the savior people tend to think of him as...

That used to be them, back check and turn it right back around on teams. I don't think that would be all that difficult to transition to. It's probably a helluva lot easier than DB's complicated system. Dummy it down a bit/lot and reap the rewards.

I'd call the entire team lazy, but they put so much effort into DB's system. I would love for Martin to take over, but the players would hate losing their chum...chum.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
That used to be them, back check and turn it right back around on teams. I don't think that would be all that difficult to transition to. It's probably a helluva lot easier than DB's complicated system. Dummy it down a bit/lot and reap the rewards.

I'd call the entire team lazy, but they put so much effort into DB's system. I would love for Martin to take over, but the players would hate losing their chum...chum.

Assuming the Penguins aren't a team full of dogs, that could serve as a good kick up the ass.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm hoping we see his value in the playoffs. Match ups, adjusting and playing a little more rigid should come through him.

You have to have a great team to turn it off and on though... I'm not sure if the Pens are that good or if the next 20 games or so is a playoff march.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Looking at all the goals the Penguins have given up since the Olympic break, I'm convinced Martin has been completely minimized by Bylsma and the rest of the coaching staff.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He's a babysitter for the highest paid coach in the NHL

I think the Olympics outed DB in the worst way.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Looking at all the goals the Penguins have given up since the Olympic break, I'm convinced Martin has been completely minimized by Bylsma and the rest of the coaching staff.
I think coaching is minimized by the Pens in general.

How was martin seen in OTT? More of a players coach or strict?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm hoping we see his value in the playoffs. Match ups, adjusting and playing a little more rigid should come through him.

You have to have a great team to turn it off and on though... I'm not sure if the Pens are that good or if the next 20 games or so is a playoff march.

The only way you'll see it is if Shero fires Bylsma and replaces him with Martin in the next month. ;)

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa

People(not singling you out) keep saying this(bolded), but I frankly don't see it at all. It looks to me like the least complicated system I've ever witnessed. Frankly, what the Pens do, especially from their D-zone out, looks as bad, if not worse, than Olczyk's plan with the team.

Teams with far less talent seem to be able to bring the puck out of their end with far more ease than the Pens.

PGHSports

Feb 24, 2007
I don't like Martin. Never have. Never understood the whole recycle used coaches when there are alot of solid guys in the minors that should get a shot. Jeff Blashill, Willie Desjardins would be two I consider off hand.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
This team needs to forcheck more, cycle more, and be entirely more systematic in the breakout. I don't see Jacque Martin, another flameout coach, helping at all.

Peter Laviolette would help short term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad