Management Jacques Martin appointed Senior Advisor to the Coaching Staff

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
When Andlauer said a few people in section 323, did you stop long enough to analyze his remark??? 323 is the upper bowl. It is in the group of cheapest seats.

Generally occupied by the common man with limited financial resources.

In rich man Andlauer's world; peons.. Never to speak to the Boss/Owner.. Never to tell him what to do.. Andlauer's ego is way bigger than the CTC..

Listen to Collin Cowherd's show. He often speaks about owners and their ego. And listen again to the Andlauer presser.. Snarly!!! Like, F you, ain't nobody telling what!!!

So when the fans screamed "Fire DJ". Andlauer's ego kicked in.. No fan/peon is going to tell me what to do.. Do you know who I am?

That saved DJ..

And Andlauer did not want to set a precedent. We scream fire DJ and he does it.. What do we scream about next??? Fan Blackmail!!!! In a year or so, we may scream "Fire Staois".

DJ got saved by ego and not wanting to set a precedent..

come season's end.. Whether it is Staois in the GM role, or a new hire. They may want their own coach. Odds are good, DJ is gone.

DJ should be smart enough to sit.. Do his job. Do not antagonize. Maybe, just maybe he is retained.. If not, and is let go at season's end. He can at least hold to "I was not fired. A new GM wanted his own coach". It softens the blow.

As for making the playoffs. This has been discussed at length. Past years have shown, teams in teh bottom 1/3 by American Thanksgiving, often remain there. Or if they climb it is marginally and rarely into the playoffs. This team's season most likely ended 2 weeks ago.
OK then! Having a bad day?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Did you ever think that a "best in class" coach is not available right now? So why make a change in Head coach when you don't get the guy you want?
Yes, a "best in class" coach is probably not available right now. I don't see retaining the current coaching staff as the solution to the problem (making the team better). Jacques Martin is a very good addition as an advisor; however, the current coaching staff is not the long term solution.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes, a "best in class" coach is probably not available right now. I don't see retaining the current coaching staff as the solution to the problem (making the team better). Jacques Martin is a very good addition as an advisor; however, the current coaching staff is not the long term solution.
Yep that’s why you wait,
and preferably let the new GM choose.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I can agree with that. So the compromise is to bring in a guy like JM and hope DJ and the team listen to him.
Next summer, with a new GM, everything gets reevaluated.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I can agree with that. So the compromise is to bring in a guy like JM and hope DJ and the team listen to him.
Next summer, with a new GM, everything gets reevaluated.
Maybe, depending on the performance of the team going forward.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Fans - Fire Dorion - ✅
Fans - Hire Alfie - ✅
Fans - Hire Jacques Martin - ✅
Fans - Fire DJ Smith - still waiting

When fans glowingly talk about management that don’t listen to the fans and don’t ever consider the fans opinions that’s a bad thing. They should be listening to the fans because the fans know and want what’s best for the team.
I don't think any of those things had anything to do with the fans

In Dorion's case, probably the opposite. Had he not f***ed up a simple trade, he'd still be here.

In Alfie's case, that was an obvious move that started long before Andlauer was the owner. Think Andlauer referred to Alfie as the biggest celebrity in town.

And with Martin, listen to what Andlauer and Staois are saying. Methodically analyzing to understand what we need to do to be better. Hiring Jacques was a step in the direction of best in class

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Likely is, the same way the Sens have/had guys working as scouts or coaches for both the Sens and their club teams like Bob Strumm in Portland, De Blois in Shawinigan, and now Andrew Gordon with Dalhousie.

Would not be surprised if Martin never travelled with the team, and was based in Ottawa/Ontario
During SS press conference, he said it was a full-time job but he wouldn't be behind the bench. I think we will see him in the box with SS and Bowness tonight.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Great move. Jacques "turn the other cheek" Martin got a talented but disjointed young Sens team to trap their way into becoming a perennial playoff team. He can teach our talented guys defensive discipline and to not cheat on defence at the expense of offence. He wasn't the greatest tactician as the Sens head coach in the playoffs, but will vastly improve player development.

Very happy with this move! Watch out for his suit collection, guy has an immaculate taste in tailored suiting and shirting.
He may have learned a few things during his time in Pittsburgh under Sullivan when they won 2 cups.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yep that’s why you wait,
and preferably let the new GM choose.
Wouldn't the bold be considered best in class?

GMs choose their coach. If they inherit a coach, it's their first out move. Fire the coach...he was never my guy.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I wonder if we have an advance scout; you know, someone who watches tape on other teams and devises a strategy to adapt and counter them? I wonder if Jacques might do a bit of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Wouldn't the bold be considered best in class?

GMs choose their coach. If they inherit a coach, it's their first out move. Fire the coach...he was never my guy.
Yep sounds like you agree with me.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Very smart move to perhaps have Martin, and even Alfie, slide in as associate coaches, while keeping DJ as well.

The reality is that papa DJ is the guy the kids love and will go through a wall for. So maybe you add grandpa Alfie to teach a tenacious 200 for game for the forwards, and have great grandpa Martin teach a team defence.

Hmmmm….. change associates would be an easy, and less spruce move

Don’t forget Ryan and York podcasting about the team too.

Can’t wait for them to bring Andy in somehow.
I prefer what they've actually done, bringing them in roles that are not dependant on who's the head coach. Coaching staff could be fired and Alfie/Martin would remain.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I actually created a thread on the History of Hockey board asking people to assign responsibility for the GA on that play, if you're interested in that kind of thing:

A lot of this was a fluke. Didn’t we eventually learn in recent years that Marshall’s intention was just to get it on net and he whiffed on it, leading to a perfect pass?

I remember someone on TSN 1200 years ago saying Marshall admitted it to him while golfing.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
ha ha ha, so nowBruce Garrioch is the source of truth, in the Sens organization …lol.

So in your understanding Andlauer recruited and interviewed JM, and made the decision to hire him, and instructed the guy he hired to be POHO to sign him up…correct?

Sure Andlauer may have suggested JM be considered… but direction was given

I am of the belief that both Staios and Andlauer identified a need, in the coaching staff for someone with a track record in defensive zone coverage.

I’m sure Staios brought his intention, to Andlauer, that he was going to bring someone to help DJS shore up the lack of defensive zone coverage, and was given the go ahead to do so.

I am certain that Staios kept Andlauer in the loop, and told him who he thought he wanted to bring in, and was given the go ahead to interview and hire JM.

BUT if Bruce said something, it must be true!
I would think that Alfie's input was also requested. I personally thing that MA's involvement is he has to approve any money being spent on any new hires. I'm sure there was a discussion but the final decision would've been SS. Doesn't hurt that JM also has GM experience, what a bonus.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yep sounds like you agree with me.
I do agree. Andlauer has been pretty consistently on message.

Slow. Methodical. Evaluate. Understand. Move to best in class. He doesn't seem like a knee jerk reaction type

He also needs to learn the building better. The fire DJ is 309 😁

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Who recommended Martin? I would think someone that use to play for him and maybe even a captain of the team. Is this possible?
Andlauer also got to know him during their time together in Montreal although I'm sure Alfie's opinion was sought.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
During SS press conference, he said it was a full-time job but he wouldn't be behind the bench. I think we will see him in the box with SS and Bowness tonight.
He’ll definitely be there when the games are in Ontario.

When they’re heading to Cali/Edmonton, who knows. Possible, but definitely not a certainty.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Now I want to see Spezza hired as GM so that he can be Martin's boss and pay him back for benching him.

Revenge is a dish best served cold as they say!
I hope you're joking. I just need to look at who his mentor is (Dubas) to want him as far away from our team as possible. After Dubas signed 4 top salary forwards leaving the cupboards bare to fill out the rest of the roster with quality players in TO, he goes to Pittsburgh and signs another high salary, EK. As good as EK is, he's not responsible enough defensively to make enough of a difference. They're a 500 team just like us, same # of points as Montreal, but we have so much room to improve that I like our chances better than Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad