Jacob Trouba Vs Morgan Rielly

Who is better in a vacuum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
trouba has a solid postseason and everyone jumps back on the bandwagon again.
what was he the jets #3dman this year?

Rielly the clear cut #1 on a 105pt team, and 52pts in 76 games but losing this poll. no other dude who had almost 30pts more as a dman would lose the poll aside from a leafs player

LAWL

So when it comes to Forwards it’s always Defence first... As soon as we mention Defensmen that’s right out the window??? I guess being good at defence as a Defensmen means little to nothing.

Reactions: Snowman

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
More like 'how many powerplay points they score'.

Trouba and Rielly 5v5 offense is similar.

So are Hyman's and Laine's. 38 ES points (14G, 24A) for Hyman, 39 (24G, 15A) for Laine. To be fair, Hyman played about 90 more 5on5 minutes over the whole season.

Rielly scored more PP points than Byfuglien or Myers.
Powerplay production matters...

Last edited:

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
trouba has a solid postseason and everyone jumps back on the bandwagon again.
what was he the jets #3dman this year?

Rielly the clear cut #1 on a 105pt team, and 52pts in 76 games but losing this poll. no other dude who had almost 30pts more as a dman would lose the poll aside from a leafs player

LAWL
Trouba has been playing like that for years now so it's nothing new. Only difference is some people now finally watch him before stating their expert opinions.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Trouba has been playing like that for years now so it's nothing new. Only difference is some people now finally watch him before stating their expert opinions.

Trouba wasnt very good for a significant part of this season. Rielly was way ahead. He even crushes trouba in a poll eariler this year...but recency and hf bias prevail!

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
So are Hyman's and Laine's. 38 ES points (14G, 24A) for Hyman, 39 (24G, 15A) for Laine. To be fair, Hyman played about 90 more 5on5 minutes over the whole season.

Rielly scored more PP points than Byfuglien or Myers.
Powerplay production matters...

dont use facts on here!

as leafs fans lets just be happy rielly torched trouba in the last poll.
playoffs have skewed this one badly.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Ah so now Leafs fans have changed the argument, points aren’t the best way to judge a Dman, but powerplay points are! Lmao

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Always take the 50 point two way d-man over the 20-30 point stay at home one. The former is much harder to find and replace than the latter. Especially if the latter is injury prone and going to be a hard ass about contracts going forward.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Always take the 50 point two way d-man over the 20-30 point stay at home one. The former is much harder to find and replace than the latter. Especially if the latter is injury prone and going to be a hard ass about contracts going forward.

Why throw that hypothetical into a Trouba/Rielly debate?

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Why throw that hypothetical into a Trouba/Rielly debate?

C’mon now, we all know he’s gonna ask for the moon during negotiations, and that’s a pretty big player flaw when said player thinks he’s worth much more than he is (wasn’t his initial ask $7m/season last time? What a joke).

If he asks for any more than $5m/season, I really hope Chevy trades him, as it’s never smart to overpay an injury prone stay at home d-man, no matter how good at defence he may be.

And in that regard, Rielly is signed long term to a sweetheart deal, so I’d say contracts are pretty relevant when you compare these two.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
C’mon now, we all know he’s gonna ask for the moon during negotiations, and that’s a pretty big player flaw when said player thinks he’s worth much more than he is (wasn’t his initial ask $7m/season last time? What a joke).

If he asks for any more than $5m/season, I really hope Chevy trades him, as it’s never smart to overpay an injury prone stay at home d-man, no matter how good at defence he may be.

And in that regard, Rielly is signed long term to a sweetheart deal, so I’d say contracts are pretty relevant when you compare these two.

Funny. In the Scheifele vs. Matthews thread, Scheifele’s sweetheart deal didn’t mean anything, and people saying Matthews was gonna sign to an expensive contract were told they don’t know that and maybe he will take a hometown discount.

What relevance does this have to Trouba? Well, how do we know he is going to ask for the moon? There was a story that just came out saying he wants to be in Winnipeg, which I’m sure will be conveniently minimalized and ignored by the Rielly crowd.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Funny. In the Scheifele vs. Matthews thread, Scheifele’s sweetheart deal didn’t mean anything, and people saying Matthews was gonna sign to an expensive contract were told they don’t know that and maybe he will take a hometown discount.

What relevance does this have to Trouba? Well, how do we know he is going to ask for the moon? There was a story that just came out saying he wants to be in Winnipeg, which I’m sure will be conveniently minimalized and ignored by the Rielly crowd.

Funny, if you read my posts in the Scheifele vs. Matthews thread, you’d see that I have a very different opinion from most of the other Leafs fans (I’m a Jets fan too btw).

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Funny, if you read my posts in the Scheifele vs. Matthews thread, you’d see that I have a very different opinion from most of the other Leafs fans (I’m a Jets fan too btw).

Oh yeah, I didn’t know what your post was in there. I didn’t mean to paint you with that brush, I’m just trying to say that it’s ironic how arguments are flipped in order to defend a certain view. I am guilty of this as well

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
1 season does not mean he's a 50 points defenseman going forward. Your 20-30 points d-man average 32 points/82 gp for his career and your 50 points d-man average 36 points/82 games for his career.... and one does not get much pp time

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Trouba plays on a much better defensive unit and he’s still not as good as Rielly.

Rielly has never had a partner as good as Trouba has had in his entire NHL career and still plays some of the toughest minutes in the league.

It’s not really a fair comparison to Trouba but HF gonna HF.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Trouba wasnt very good for a significant part of this season. Rielly was way ahead. He even crushes trouba in a poll eariler this year...but recency and hf bias prevail!
I would like to know which games you are referring to when you say he hasn't been very good for s "significant" part of the season? What exactly was he not good at or give some examples of what he was doing wrong. I have seen every game this year and likely 43 of those live and he has been a rock. My guess is you have seen him in 3 games this year (minus highlights you have seen from tsn or playoffs) and I am calling bullshit.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011

Actually, the Scheifele contract got mentioned and was used as a way to prop him up many times. Don’t make s*** up

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Actually, the Scheifele contract got mentioned and was used as a way to prop him up many times. Don’t make s*** up

As far as I’m aware, that was mainly Jet fans. Regardless, Scheifele and Rielly are both signed to steals for contracts and they should both matter.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Did I see Trouba called a stay at home defenseman lol

I realize that they were drafted same year, but Morrissey and Rielly are way way more similar in how they play.

Like as a Jets fan I'd take Morrissey over Trouba so I can understand why people would want the puck mover most.

If you want to compare players apples to apples in similar roles, they best comparison would be Trouba and Ron Hainsey :laugh:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I love how some Leaf fans climb all over themselves when someone says Matthews hasn’t hit 70 points when he was a PPG this year, but then ignore games played for anyone compared to a Leafs player. Trouba has scored at a 40 point pace the last two years combined, with little PP time. Being good on the PP matters, but you also have to consider the context of their situations, just as fans kept pointing out when it came to Reilly not getting PP time in past years.

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Trouba plays on a much better defensive unit and he’s still not as good as Rielly.

Rielly has never had a partner as good as Trouba has had in his entire NHL career and still plays some of the toughest minutes in the league.

It’s not really a fair comparison to Trouba but HF gonna HF.
lol this is pathetic.

Rielly gives up chances left right and centre. He creates them too though. Trouba is miles better defensively, offensively at even strength, they are quite similar. Rielly is much better on the PP though.

Also, until last year Trouba played with Mark Stuart who is 10x worse than Ron Hainsey. Trust me, we had both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad