Who is better in a vacuum?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Trouba. He's played a big role getting his team to the WCF. Rielly couldn't get his team out of the 1st round as the #1 dman.

Reactions: Snowman

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Trouba. He's played a big role getting his team to the WCF. Rielly couldn't get his team out of the 1st round as the #1 dman.

Guess Perrault is better forward than Crosby cause Perrault is in round three and Crosby isn't.
So Doughty isn't as good as Trouba, cause Doughty a # 1 Dmen, didn't get out of the first round.
Thanks for providing a scale of value, which no one else would ever use.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Guess Perrault is better forward than Crosby cause Perrault is in round three and Crosby isn't.
So Doughty isn't as good as Trouba, cause Doughty a # 1 Dmen, didn't get out of the first round.
Thanks for providing a scale of value, which no one else would ever use.

Perrault doesn't play top line minutes like Crosby.
Doughty won two cups and a Norris.

Sorry facts hurt Leaf fans' feelings so much.

Reactions: Snowman

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Perrault doesn't play top line minutes like Crosby.
Doughty won two cups and a Norris.

Sorry facts hurt Leaf fans' feelings so much.

Sorry we're talking about the here and now. By your logic Henri Richard is the greatest hockey player ever.
Trouba is good but geez, he certainly isn't a star, the Jets have done a great job of having a number of good Dman which has carried them this far this season. Something like Vegas, their Dman lack star power but somehow they are in final four.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Sorry we're talking about the here and now. By your logic Henri Richard is the greatest hockey player ever.
Trouba is good but geez, he certainly isn't a star, the Jets have done a great job of having a number of good Dman which has carried them this far this season. Something like Vegas, their Dman lack star power but somehow they are in final four.

Their defence doesn't lack star power. Buff is a bona fide #1 and has been demonstrating that for the entire post-season. Trouba, Myers, and Morrissey are all #2-3 dmen. They have one of the most stacked top 4 defence in the league. Sounds like you just don't watch Winnipeg enough because of the difference in time zones.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Im not sure who is better in a vacuum but I voted Trouba as better on the ice

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Reily for me but not by a lot. I do think Trouba is better on the defensive side which certainly closes the gap.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
By looking at those heatmaps, it sure seems like the rest of the team did better without Rielly on the ice (although the QoC comes into play here). The only thing you can take away from those heatmaps you posted is that not only is Trouba better than Rielly in his own end, but the Jets are also significantly better defensively than the Leafs as a whole. When it comes to the goalies, your argument is flawed as hell. First of all, I don't believe these charts have too much to do with goaltending, and secondly, Rielly had better goaltending than Trouba (92.28 OISV% to Trouba's 91.72 at 5v5).

By looking at those heat maps you are doing your best to ignore any other relevant stats. Travis Dermott and Jake Gardiner have better looking heat maps than Rielly as well, but he's miles better than either. So really the only valid conclusion is that yes, the Jets are significantly better defensively than the Leafs. I'm pretty sure everyone in the universe is unanimous on that. Despite the Leafs defense being so terrible, they allowed the 11th fewest goals against in the league this year.

The question of goaltending comes from a simple concept: garbage defense results in goals against. If the puck ain't going in the net, then the defense is fine. Why is it that Rielly's goalies had better save percentages at 5on5 if Rielly is a tire fire and giving away so many high quality chances? Is it that Andersen should be the one up for the Vezina? Or is it that a 1 shot per 60 minutes difference means very little? GA/60 is another good stat for looking at a similar sort of thing and every single one of the Jets defenseman, every single one, has a better (lower) xGA than Rielly does. I really don't believe for a hot second that the Jets employ 6 defensemen who are better than any of the Leafs D . In my earlier post, I gave the edge to Trouba defensively, but there is simply way too much more analysis to be done than a couple of simple heat maps on these players.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Here are some more heat maps just for funsies

hedmavi90
gostish93
ekmanol91
jonesse94

Who's better? Ghost?

Here's another really good one

pietral90
pietral90

Hmmm. I don't think Pietrangelo is bad defensively!

Reactions: lurkerrr

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Here are some more heat maps just for funsies

hedmavi90
gostish93
ekmanol91
jonesse94

Who's better? Ghost?

Here's another really good one

pietral90
pietral90

Hmmm. I don't think Pietrangelo is bad defensively!

And what does this have anything to do with? All I see is you trying to dis-credit shot qaulity not make an argument for who is better between Trouba or Rielly...

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
trouba has a solid postseason and everyone jumps back on the bandwagon again.
what was he the jets #3dman this year?

Rielly the clear cut #1 on a 105pt team, and 52pts in 76 games but losing this poll. no other dude who had almost 30pts more as a dman would lose the poll aside from a leafs player

LAWL

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
And what does this have anything to do with? All I see is you trying to dis-credit shot qaulity not make an argument for who is better between Trouba or Rielly...
I'm trying to discredit using any one single metric as the sum total of analysis. It's also a response to another post. I made my argument about the two on the previous page, where I gave the edge to Trouba defensively.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Rielly the clear cut #1 on a 105pt team, and 52pts in 76 games but losing this poll. no other dude who had almost 30pts more as a dman would lose the poll aside from a leafs player

LAWL

It's almost as if looking at points isn't the best way to judge defenceman. Especially when point totals are boosted from playing on a great powerplay.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Rielly is not and never has been as good as Trouba. Trouba is a #1D man on the second best team in the NHL and excells. Rielly plays on the top pairing on an also ran team, but really should not be playing above a #3 spot as he does not have the defensive ability.

There's a reason Leafs fans start weekly threads begging for Trouba while you never see a thread where a Jets fan asks for Rielly.

Trouba AINEC.

Relevant avatar.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
On the Jets I think you definitely take Trouba.

Buff is already a very offensive minded guy, and combined with the Jets forward talent, I would rather take someone more sound defensively.

One of the Leafs problems this year has been teams exposing their poor D (not necessarily Rielly).

If your team lacks an offensive defenseman, take Rielly, if they lack a defensive defenseman, take Trouba.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

LAWL
Ah yes, the incredibly intelligent way to judge defensemen “how many points they score”

LAWL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad