Confirmed with Link: Jacob Trouba going pro (UPD: Jets agree to terms)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Hey everyone,

Conversation about this is already going on in about 4 different threads, so I thought it be nice to just have one centralized area to converse about it.

Basic ideas flopping/convos going around are:
*Will he do it or will he stay in NCAA for one more year
*What does this mean for the Jets roster in regards to signings and trades
*Will he play in Winnipeg or SJ
*How awesome will it be to have Byfuglien-Bogosian-Trouba as RHD next season
*What are the conditions of burning a year of ELC and/or moving his RFA a season early

LHD:
Enstrom
Hainsey
Clitsome
Stuart
Kulda
Meech
Melchiori
Yuen
Chiarot
Sol

RHD:
Byfuglien
Bogosian
Trouba
Redmond (unsure of status or chance of returning)
Postma
Serville

... and here, we, go

Last edited:

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
A big thing I see with this is that it makes trading Hainsey/Clitsome a lot easier to swallow.

I would like to see him in a Jets uniform, for his first 5 games at least, then assess from there if he should go to St. John's.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
A big thing I see with this is that it makes trading Hainsey/Clitsome a lot easier to swallow.

I would like to see him in a Jets uniform, for his first 5 games at least, then assess from there if he should go to St. John's.

Although I see a strong possibility of Trouba-Bogosian pairing in the future I still think that they might keep Hainsey...

*Noel doesn't like giving tough matchups to any of Clitsome, Stuart, or Postma... and for good reasons
*Noel would unlikely be giving Trouba tough minutes in his first season; even D like Doughty and Pietrangelo were eased into pro into hard minutes
*Noel prefers to have D on their natural sides whenever possible

I think that when he's ready, we might see a Postma+ for middle 6 RWer in the making.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
If he signs, I'd trade Hainsey and Postma (though Postma could wait until the offseason, but might return more now).

Depth would still be:

Buff
Enstrom
Bogo
Stuart
Clitsome
Kulda
Trouba
Meech
Redmond (next year)

videofarmer

thirsty
Sep 11, 2009
ATL
Good as he is, it's hard to believe that Trouba won't need at least another season of development before making the Jets.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Post in all the Trouba threads!

As for the putting him closer to UFA point raised in the prospects thread

From Buffalo's Grigorenko thread:
The fact both players played beyond the five-game limit that burned a year off their entry-level deals was, relatively speaking, consequential. But contrary to popular belief, the Devils and Sabres did indeed burn a year off the accrued seasons requirement for both players, meaning Matteau and Grigorenko will be eligible for unrestricted free agency one year earlier than they would have been if they were returned to junior before hitting the required amount of games.

NHL rules state that any player who is on the active roster for 40 games is awarded an accrued season, regardless of how many games the player actually plays. But THN.com has learned that because of the truncated season, that 40-game limit was pro-rated to 23.4 games to accommodate for a 48-game season. Matteau was on the roster for the Devils’ first 29 games of the season, 17 in which he saw action. Grigorenko was on Buffalo’s roster for 27 games, playing in all but five of them.

So it would seem that he would need to be here for 24 games, with only 15 games left in the regular season the Jets would need to get to at least the second round of the playoffs with Trouba staying in Winnipeg the whole time in order to burn one of his RFA years.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
i think he ends up going pro and playing for the Jets and we make the playoffs because of it! He is pro ready no reason to be in school hes almost Michigans leading scorer as a freshman defenseman. Time to move up a level Jacob!

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

So it would seem that he would need to be here for 24 games, with only 15 games left in the regular season the Jets would need to get to at least the second round of the playoffs with Trouba staying in Winnipeg the whole time in order to burn one of his RFA years.

I assume this is what the Jets are looking at most. Losing a year off your ELC is not a bad as losing a year off your RFA status.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Oh Oh, or maybe...

They sign him and,

Wait for it..

He reports to the Kitchener Rangers.

That way him and Scheifele can end up playing against each other in the OHL finals in a battle for all out Jets prospect supremacy!

Yes, I think this is the best option. :nod:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Hmm... interesting

If I was Chevy, that is worth pulling the trigger...
Because, if he's a difference maker in helping a team move past the first round of playoffs, than he is worth a lost RFA year anyways

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
From the prospect thread:

Yes, the second Trouba would play his 6th game this year (regular season + playoffs, both count the same) he burns a year off of his ELC.

And it takes 23 games on roster OF REGULAR SEASON to burn a year of UFA status. Normally 40 games, but this year it appears to be 23.

Of note, Trouba can sign an ELC now and go to St. John's or Winnipeg for this year. But let's say next year he doesn't make the Jets. So he spends the year in St. John's appearing in less than 9 games with the Jets, that year DOES NOT count towards his ELC either, since that is his 19 year old year.

Last edited by a moderator:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
It's unrealistic to expect him to make a difference in our playoff run. Even if he's tearing it up now, the NHL is a huge change in pace and player size. IMO we should bring him along at a normal development pace.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Makes you wonder if Buffalo and NJ were up to speed on the truncated season thing or whether they thought they had 40 games.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
From the prospect thread:

See the edit. It is not games played, but rather games on the roster, HOWEVER, it must be games on the roster during the regular season.

"Accrued Season" means any League Year during which a Player was on
a Club's Active Roster for 40 (30 if the Player is a goalie) or more Regular Season Games

So as far as I can tell, the Jets could sign Trouba. Have him play above 5 games and therefore burn a year of ELC and still NOT have him burn a year of UFA status. Interesting isn't it.

who either has seven
(7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age or older
as of June 30 of
the end of the 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-10 League Year, shall, if
his most recent SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either
as of June 30 of the applicable League Year or June 30 of any prior
League Year, become an Unrestricted Free Agent

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Man, what's with all this playoff games counting in some situations but not others nonsense..

So then even if we went on a lengthy run we'd be in no danger of burning an RFA year keeping him around to practise or play.

Sounds good to me. :)

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd love to see him in the AHL and stay there for a season. He shouldn't be rushed in, he needs to see what a big transition the pro game is and the AHL is the next stepping stone in his development.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I highly doubt he'd last here - he'd be in St. Johns very quickly (please don't abbreviate it SJ, I read that as San Jose). There's too big of a jump from NCAA to the NHL. NCAA is weaker than CHL and very few, if any, CHL defensemen have immediate success jumping up to the NHL. I'd love to see him go to the AHL though. I'd have an excuse to watch St. Johns games and I think he's physically too mature to be challenged much in the CHL.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Good as he is, it's hard to believe that Trouba won't need at least another season of development before making the Jets.

This....If the Jets send Schiefle back to Barrie, unlikely they are going to rush their only other elite prospect who plays at a more difficult position.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I highly doubt he'd last here - he'd be in St. Johns very quickly (please don't abbreviate it SJ, I read that as San Jose). There's too big of a jump from NCAA to the NHL. NCAA is weaker than CHL and very few, if any, CHL defensemen have immediate success jumping up to the NHL. I'd love to see him go to the AHL though. I'd have an excuse to watch St. Johns games and I think he's physically too mature to be challenged much in the CHL.

You got that backwards. NCAA is MUCH stronger league than CHL. CHL has 16-17 year old's that couldn't come close to making NCAA rosters and are easy pickings for the top end players, compared to the more mature and better NCAA rosters filled primarily with 19-23 year old's. Sure the CHL has about as many high end players, maybe a few more, they make up only 2-3 players per roster, versus maybe only 2 per roster in NCAA. Overall the NCAA are WAAY deeper and better than CHL rosters. There are no 16 year old 4th lines to run the score up on NCAA teams like there is in CHL.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
You got that backwards. NCAA is MUCH stronger league than CHL. CHL has 16-17 year old's that couldn't come close to making NCAA rosters and are easy pickings for the top end players, compared to the more mature and better NCAA rosters filled primarily with 19-23 year old's. Sure the CHL has about as many high end players, maybe a few more, they make up only 2-3 players per roster, versus maybe only 2 per roster in NCAA. Overall the NCAA are WAAY deeper and better than CHL rosters. There are no 16 year old 4th lines to run the score up on NCAA teams like there is in CHL.

Agreed...

Gabriel Desjardins (founder of Arctic Ice Hockey and Behindthenet.ca) ran NHL pts/gp equivalencies relative to ages.
Players who transfer from NCAA to AHL or NHL the next season generally see a smaller dip in pts/gp than CHL. This was also back in 2004, which since then NCAA has furthered the gap with more aggressive and better recruitment/programming.
(0.33 NCAA -> NHL, 0.29 CHL -> NHL... again keep in mind that NCAA is much stronger now)

I'm running history on some high end defensive prospects in the 5 or so years, and the general idea is (not taking in account a huge leap in development), Trouba will either have one more year before he's doing NHL tough minutes (and surviving) but that year may be in AHL, AHL/NHL split or on sheltered 3rd pair. Any could work.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011

NCAA is stronger than CHL. Much faster game with more mature players. CHL more mirrors the pro game in terms of travel, game and practice schedule. If they are saying that he is dominating NCAA, then he may actually be able to play in the NHL.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Maybe the travel and possibly systems play in the CHL might be better, but there's no doubt the NCAA players are more mature and bigger. The fact that he physically dominated the NCAA says a lot.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think we'll see Trouba up here quite yet, though I am VERY excited for his development. I'm sure Chevy and the boys have seen what Edmonton has done to their young guns - little to no veteran presence to help them mature, and their group doesn't exactly know how to win consistently in the NHL. However, all of their top picks all dominated their leagues, and even the World Jr's. They need the development time that Scheif is currently getting, and Trouba will most likely end up getting to really make some noise around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad