Prospect Info: Jacob Olofsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
You should see some of their 1st and 2nd rounders. Not all of them home runs. Defenders and forwards that didn't amount to much.

They've done a great job drafting and developing. A model franchise to follow the blueprint of. But regarding their first two round, they've selected some that went nowhere or didn't live up to their draft position.
Plus it’s a lot harder to notice when you’re already deep for a few years.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Got you all! And thanks for correcting me. I'll make sure to do my research next time. It just seems that TB can do no wrong these days.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I just updated the title. I changed Timra IK to Skelleftea as Timra's season ended. Olofsson signed with Skelleftea for the next two seasons.

He ended the year with 9 pts (3G, 6A) in 34 GP.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Is there really hope in Olofsson?

too early to say. Some didn't like when I said he reminds me of DLR with more offense but what a terrible year as 3 goals just stinks. Now his ppg would have put him at the exact amount of pts DLR had in the exact same situation. 18 year olds in the SHL for the first time on teams that were promoted to the SHL. Both big body centers with good skating, speed, strength that seem to have questionable offensive upside.

I watched a good bit of his games this year and can't say i was overly impressed especially when a guy taken 2 spots later puts up almost as many goals as Olofsson had points but in 11 more games. That said he has some interesting tools. He's already got NHL size, skating, speed, strength. I have said it many times but I think the Habs made a big mistake rushing him to North America at 19, fist the AHL then NHL, then burning up a year off his ELC. Now that Olofsson will stay in the SHL for what I assume will be at least 2 more years we'll see how it goes for him over there.

Reactions: Vachon23

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I had 26 or 27 interviews something like that. A lot of meetings... For the first meeting, I was really nervous... I didn't know what to expect. After just getting rolling on good and I felt good. I was saying the same thing over and over almost. Being around in different kinda of area with a lot of teams and many stuffs. A big difference back here when you're one on one with the teams. Well obviously mostly the same questions... A few teams needed a bit more to know about me. I mean it was exciting to be there. Some scouts they meet me and some coaches. They told me something. Not all the teams did that... I thought it was some good meetings and interesting to be there...”

“Yeah, of course it's driving me even more to get there and knowing that there was some spot centerman spot upcoming there. I just wanted to do everything to be there every day and not just get a taste of it during the summer in development camp and be a part of Montreal. So proud and honored to be a part of the Montreal Canadiens organization... A dream come true.”

“Two-way center... Being a reliable one. A lot of upside in the offensive. Take the responsability on the full ice as an offensive guy. My explosiveness is my first overall strenght. But mostly my explosiveness could be a little bit quicker. Be creative. Being a hard worker. Score points. Being a good leader. Being a playmaker making good passes. I want to be in all the situations... Be better in the FO. To play big minutes I've to be good in the FO. Want to win. Giving everything to my team... I don't give everything up on evey shift and every minute... On the other side, the same being a good guy and fun guy to be around and hang with. Just want everybody to have a good time.”

“I'm working on all the improvements and I've the mindset. I know where my weaknesses are... That's something I must improve during training day in and day out. Small steps. I'm pushing a lot in the gym and doing a little extra. Trying to be better... Improving my skill set that's a big part. It can't always be simple and it have to be flashy.”

“My 2018's Hlinka Gretzky Cup tournament with the Sweden U18 NT probably not the performance that I wanted. It was a great time being there tho... Winning the bronze also. But it wasn't the type of performance we wanted. Playing international tournaments it's against tough guys in my age. So it getting me something to work on when I get home and trying to improve yourself...”

“Peter Forsberg was a guy who was probably the best Swedish player and how he played on the ice was just incredible. I don't see myself as him tho... He was great offensively. That's something that I know it's coming but I'm still not at that level offensivelly. I feel it's an area of my game that I'm improving and it's coming more and more. Of course, I like to watch Backstrom.”

“I played a lot of minutes and I kept evolving. I played a solid game on the rink and scored some points. You get a taste of the feeling of winning as a team and how being a team can do anything. And that was an eye opener. Because even if they were a better team, player by player, we managed to come together as a group and we played for each other every shift. So it was amazing to be a part of that...”

“I want to be part of every game and being a important player on the team. Getting my spot to be an impact player. That was something I was looking forward to do coming up in a men's league... Always good to play against men. In the NHL, there's men there so that's how I want to be and play... Taking more responsibilities on both ends of the ice that was something I was focusing a lot. Talked with the coach to knwo how to improve some points... I felt pretty easy on the rink, focusing on Timra... Everybody wanted to help me and giving me small advices... Just put my feet on the ground and don't give up the chances... Put all the work I can do to give myself a shot to get there.”

Jul 6, 2016
Not too impressed by that pick.... And Habs traded their 4th second rounder to Edmonton. Why not package a couple of those second-rounders for a better pick or a player ?

Reactions: dralaf

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
His ceiling is similar to DLR in terms of bottom 6F talent. Fringe grade B talent that could surprise or could never make it in the NHL. More development is required and he needs to take steps forward next year.

He definitely has a higher ceiling or at least more offensive upside than DLR. Just was so meh last year after a pretty solid start. Next year's huge for him. I lost a lot of confidence in him but I also lost a lot of confidence in Ikonen as well. Don't have to write him off yet. He has solid tools.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He definitely has a higher ceiling or at least more offensive upside than DLR. Just was so meh last year after a pretty solid start. Next year's huge for him. I lost a lot of confidence in him but I also lost a lot of confidence in Ikonen as well. Don't have to write him off yet. He has solid tools.

I have equal hope with Olofsson today as I had with DLR in his draft +1. They are not exactly the same type of players but I have them as 3rd line talent at best at the same points in development time.

Not writing off Olofsson. I just understand he could become a bottom 6 talent or not make it at all.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
People didn't like my DLR comp, but they are eerily similar when you compare their frames, situation - both centers with big frames that skate well, both were in the 2nd league in their draft years then both saw their teams promoted to the SHL for their age 18 seasons.

DLR - 18 years old, SHL - 13 pts 49 games, .2653 ppg
Olofsson - 18 yo, SHL - 9 pts in 34 games, .2647 ppg

Now the difference is that we rushed DLR to the AHL and NHL at 19 whereas Olofsson will be in the SHL and now he goes from the worst team in the league to a team that was 5th in the league. I don't know much about his new team yet, as of now they are one of the youngest teams in the SHL but they still have a few months before next season starts.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
it so ez to say that right now ... maybe in 2 years we will laugh about the hallander pick ... give him time, it hard to be in a men league at that age, he probably lose confidence during the year and was unable to get back on his feet.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
we'll see how that one plays out, not looking great for us as I watched a number of their games and thought Hallander stood out a lot more but he also seemed to tail off in the 2nd half. If you compare them in the SuperElit (J20) they were very close in production, .63 ppg and .68. In Allsvenskan during their draft year they were again very close .37 ppg to .42 ppg. In the WJC's this year neither did anything as both had 0 pts in 5 games. Hallander didn't play in the U-18's, Olofsson had 6 pts.

That said I don't trust our Swedish scout, we clearly suck at drafting out of Sweden. If you go back to the '89 draft to now, DLR is the best of the group. Think about that for a second, a 4th liner on a bad team is the best draft pick we have made in 30 years. 30 fraking years. Now I would be willing to bet that had Nygren not been injured, he would have at least shown some things in the NHL to maybe give DLR a run for his money since he wouldn't have to be that good in order to be our best Swedish pick.

Reactions: Andrei79 and JAVO16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad