Value of: Jacob Markstrom

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
It really depends on Depietro’s development. Markstrom is a world class Goaltender at this point and probably would be the starter for Sweden at this point for any international play.
Demko looks like a stud and will develop well under our goaltending coach and Markstrom as a mentor.
I’d trade Demko as part of a package for a high end RHD to replace Tanev and keep Markstrom.
Draft another Goalie with a high draft pick and keep an eye on my initial statement.
And what high end RHD did you have in mind? Because I love that idea

Reactions: Hawkyknowledge

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
It really depends on Depietro’s development. Markstrom is a world class Goaltender at this point and probably would be the starter for Sweden at this point for any international play.
Demko looks like a stud and will develop well under our goaltending coach and Markstrom as a mentor.
I’d trade Demko as part of a package for a high end RHD to replace Tanev and keep Markstrom.
Draft another Goalie with a high draft pick and keep an eye on my initial statement.

Have to agree with this assessment. Came here to basically say the same thing.

Markstrom has 3 or 4 years of prime goal-tending left in him which makes keeping Demko awkward. IF Markstrom is willing to sign a reasonable extension for 3-5 years then the obvious choice is to keep the guaranteed results at a reasonable price. Demko will want to be the number one on a team in that span which will mean he will be unhappy with his situation in Vancouver. In that same time DiPietro "should" be ready to come in as the back-up and challenge for the #1 position. Unfortunately for Demko he looks too good too quickly and Markstrom found his #1 ability. I hope the Canucks give Demko enough games this year to make other teams consider him a legit #1 option and make trade offers accordingly.

A lot of "what ifs" but that's hockey...

Reactions: Hawkyknowledge
Feb 19, 2018
Columbus isn’t trading werenski. That’s like asking us to trade pettersson

with Seth Jones playing the right side you trade by organization strength to improve. I’m Sure a Demko and Podkolzin package would be very enticing to a team like Columbus who isn’t afraid to run a team on goaltending and Russians.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
And if Demko isn’t ready by end of next season, what are you going to give Seattle to have them take someone aside from the goalie we make available to the draft
Then trade Markstrom before the expansion draft and sign someone to split starts with Demko like Mrazek/Neuvirth/Varlamov/Hutton

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't speak for all Flames fans, but IMO, I'd want the Flames to be interested in Markstrom. Both teams seem to have benefited from trades in the past, why not think another trade can keep up that track record?

IMO, is there something to work with if it's along the lines of:

Jankowski + Talbot plus conditional 1st for Markstrom and maybe a minor plus?
Condition: If Markstrom re-signs with us, you get the 1st, if not, it's a 3rd or something like that?

Talbot will probably be more than happy to try and get a starters load while you wait for Demko and he will be adequate contract, cap, mentor, insulation etc. wise for Demko's development whether you extend him or not. If Markstrom is going to walk at UFA on both teams because of money, Canucks still have Janko + 3rd vs nothing. If Markstrom re-signs with us, you get decent value for him. The downgrade in goal this season also helps the rebuild and you're not worried since you have Demko in the pipeline?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
How about we revisit this closer to the deadline? I'd love to keep Markstrom and Demko, but I have a horrible thought that we are moving assets to Seattle to take someone specific from our roster at the ED....

Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Roussel, Virtanen and...Pearson? Sutter? Is Gaudette someone we must protect?

Myers, Edler and Stecher? Tanev?

Were already brimming with potential targets and we can protect them all.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How about we revisit this closer to the deadline? I'd love to keep Markstrom and Demko, but I have a horrible thought that we are moving assets to Seattle to take someone specific from our roster at the ED....

Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Roussel, Virtanen and...Pearson? Sutter? Is Gaudette someone we must protect?

Myers, Edler and Stecher? Tanev?

Were already brimming with potential targets and we can protect them all.
A 7-3 option which is the most likely given the lack of D to protect would mean:

Bo, Petey, Brock, Miller and Gaudette make up 5 spots. Pearson, Sutter, are ufa that summer so no need to protect. Virtanen, not a lock for a spot and so far neither is Ferland. Aside from Zack Macewen, all of Utica forwards are either exempt or not worth protecting.

so forwards, have 2 open spots.

On D, Juolevi would get protected. Benn, Edler are ufa so should let them get past the ED first. Hughes is exempt. Both Tanev and Stecher need new deals after the season. Myers they can decide that when the time comes. AHL guys like Brisebois, Sautner would be eligible.

so, if Markstrom and Demko are still on the roster, they are clearly the best options for Seattle to take.
And this off season, Chicago, Detroit, Islanders, should be on the market for a starter whom they would give ED protection to.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Terrible expansion draft timing. Maybe we sign markstrom and sadly, trade demko for a 1st or an A prospect in a position of need like RHD.

carriefan

Apr 9, 2011
Canucks should keep Markstrom and trade Demko for a top 10 pick next year. Similar to the Schneider for Horvat trade. This will give Canucks another impact player for years to come.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks should keep Markstrom and trade Demko for a top 10 pick next year. Similar to the Schneider for Horvat trade. This will give Canucks another impact player for years to come.

Doubt Demko would return a top ten pick but perhaps a later 1st. Schneider had three full seasons of elite play as Luongo’s backup when he was dealt, Demko doesn’t have nearly that resume. Maybe after next season he will but at that point the expansion draft will be on the horizon and the Canucks will be forced to make a move and teams will know it.

If Vancouver can re-sign Markstrom at a reasonable rate and Mikey DiPietro has a successful first pro season than exploring a Demko trade this off-season probably makes the most sense. They’ll certainly be looking to recoup that first from the Miller trade.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
No it isn't.

he means it in the sense, they wouldn't do it.. like we wouldn't trade pettersson. easy no for whatever the offer. 22 yr old 40+ right handed dman? that's getting closer to a boeser + demko and they'd still probably pass on it simply due to dmen being harder to acquire.

Reactions: Elitersson

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

This would be great imo.. But I think it would take more seasoning for him to get a top pick.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Nobody is giving a top 10 pick for Demko. Goalies don’t generally have a lot of trade value. Especially back up goalies with 13 NHL games to their credit

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Sorry, maybe I am missing something
but we have

Markstrom, Tanev, Pettersson, Hughes that all need new contracts before the entry draft
all will get raises...……..plus possibly Tryamkin coming back

So we trade Demko who is also looking for a new contract, which will come in at 1/2 of Markstrom's contract
with better stats and 6 years younger?

From an organizational perspective and a cap perspective, Demko should be the one we keep. I will qualify that by saying "IF" his stats are still better or close by the TDL

Let the team grow together...…..if at all possible.

PS...…..Let's see how DiPietro does as well, before we think he is our future #1 goalie...Think about that
for a second

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Sorry, maybe I am missing something
but we have

Markstrom, Tanev, Pettersson, Hughes that all need new contracts before the entry draft
all will get raises...……..plus possibly Tryamkin coming back

So we trade Demko who is also looking for a new contract, which will come in at 1/2 of Markstrom's contract
with better stats and 6 years younger?

From an organizational perspective and a cap perspective, Demko should be the one we keep. I will qualify that by saying "IF" his stats are still better or close by the TDL

Let the team grow together...…..if at all possible.

PS...…..Let's see how DiPietro does as well, before we think he is our future #1 goalie...Think about that
for a second

The problem is Markstrom's 2020 UFA status and the 2021 expansion draft. Benning isn't going to trade Markstrom this season as the team is trying to make the playoffs and he's never been very astute at the deadline. So you either let Markstrom walk for nothing or you give him a multi-year contract/extension, but while it's possible you generally don't give a guy a big new contract and trade him that same year.

Basically these are the options:

1. trade Markstrom at the deadline, go with Demko - not likely, hard for Benning
2. lose Markstrom in free agency for nothing, go with Demko - bad result
3. Sign/Extend Markstrom and
a. trade Markstrom in 2020-21 - hard and unlikely
b. trade Demko in 2020-21 - easy, but will be hard to get good value
c. keep both and lose one in the expansion draft - bad result

Really the optimal way to maximize value would be to go with option 1 and take a trade like the Calgary poster suggested (stuff and conditional 1st), but you want to avoid option 2 and 3c so that leaves 3b the most flexible option and the path of least resistance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad