Value of: Jacob Markstrom

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Don't think the Canucks are looking to trade him right now, but in the coming years with the emergence of Demko, it becomes a real possibility. What is the market value for a goalie of Markstrom's calibre?

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I can't see the Canucks trading him. Much more likely that he resigns for 3 years at about 6 mil. He has been excellent this year, and was very good for the most part of last season. He is probably in the 10-20 range of starters in the league, but trending upward. He stole the Philly game for the Canucks, as well the Rangers game today.

To answer your question though, I think he would likely return a 3rd and a prospect if he were dealt, or a 2nd at most. Most good of the "playoff locks" are in good shape for goalies, and the playoff fringe teams wouldn't give up much for a UFA goalie.

I'm happy to keep him while Demko develop as a back up, with DiPietro developing in Utica.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I can't see the Canucks trading him. Much more likely that he resigns for 3 years at about 6 mil. He has been excellent this year, and was very good for the most part of last season. He is probably in the 10-20 range of starters in the league, but trending upward. He stole the Philly game for the Canucks, as well the Rangers game today.

To answer your question though, I think he would likely return a 3rd and a prospect if he were dealt, or a 2nd at most. Most good of the "playoff locks" are in good shape for goalies, and the playoff fringe teams wouldn't give up much for a UFA goalie.

I'm happy to keep him while Demko develop as a back up, with DiPietro developing in Utica.
That about covers it.

Guy looks great lately though, that trade didn't turn out too badly.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Markstrom / Demko would be a great 1a/1b situation. Just dont treat it like the lu/Schneider situation

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The Barkov of goalies. Fans of other teams won't know how good he is and won't offer what he's worth.

Demko also needs to prove more before we can comfortably trade Markstrom.

Reactions: bh53 and Red

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
GM JB won't trade Marky, he is trying to make the playoffs remember.

BUT...if Markstrom's contract demands are insane like 6-8yr term at a high cap hit of say 7-9m and a NTC/NMC then I would definitely want to try and move him to get some kind of asset...Short term extension 2-4yr max imo would be ideal, but will Marky bite for that or want to test the market to get a long term PayDay type offer if he puts up solid #s this year

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
There is 0 rush to trade Demko. This might end up turning into Luongo/Schneider 2.0 Tandem...Plus Demko is a heck of a lot younger than Marky and fits in with the young core going forward as a potential #1 G for 5-10 years

Expansion? Or does demko not meet it

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

BUT...if Markstrom's contract demands are insane like 6-8yr term at a high cap hit of say 7-9m and a NTC/NMC then I would definitely want to try and move him to get some kind of asset...Short term extension 2-4yr max imo would be ideal, but will Marky bite for that or want to test the market to get a long term PayDay type offer if he puts up solid #s this year

He's going to be a 30 year old UFA in a position where the next 4 years could more than double his career earning. Players default to resigning with their original teams, goalies especially because there's only so many open spots for a starter, but what he gets from Vancouver will likely be dependant on what the market is willing to pay for him. Which again for goalies can be pretty unpredictable.

And if Vancouver does resign him then the season after if they don't make a trade they'll have to put up him or Demko for Seattle. So it's not an easy decision to make and the clock is ticking, makes it hard to talk about 'trade value'. At a quick glance Columbus, Detroit, Calgary, and Ottawa would be in a good position to offer him a good contract in free agency. A couple of other teams that could be interested but have to deal with current contracts are Carolina, New Jersey, and Edmonton.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Markstrom is amazing. We have no choice but to pick between him and Demko prior to the expansion draft. Markstrom is easily better right now and has been a top 5 goalie since around Christmas of last year. However, due to age, Markstrom may have to be moved. But let’s just see how Demko performs the rest of the year. Too early right now to tell.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
One of the most underrated goalies in the league, imo. He's 29 with a year left on his stellar contract - not sure if Vancouver should give him a retirement contract which is probably what he'd be looking for.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I’d rather sign Markstrom to a 3-4 year deal, then trade him when Demko is ready to be the #1 goalie.
And if Demko isn’t ready by end of next season, what are you going to give Seattle to have them take someone aside from the goalie we make available to the draft

lawrence

May 19, 2012
And if Demko isn’t ready by end of next season, what are you going to give Seattle to have them take someone aside from the goalie we make available to the draft

Seattle is not given anything at this point, as they might go after another goalie from another team. Like what makes you think they will take one the goalie we didn't keep?

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015

If he's asking for that he can bloody well walk to UFA and another team for all I care. Most I would do is 3x5 or so. If Demko by the end of the season shows he can handle the pressure and be a starter then I would put all my chips in on him and spend the extra money extending Ian Clarke instead of Marky.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The Barkov of goalies. Fans of other teams won't know how good he is and won't offer what he's worth.

Demko also needs to prove more before we can comfortably trade Markstrom.

Just quoting you as inside joke between two FLA fans....
Nothing to see here

@SoupyFIN , my timing on Markstroms big deal was about 6 years too early. He finally turned the corner I guess, $6-8 million AAV?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Seattle is not given anything at this point, as they might go after another goalie from another team. Like what makes you think they will take one the goalie we didn't keep?
Because who else would they take that’s why. Literally there’s no one of value to pick aside from the goalie we don’t protect.

with our roster today we protect 7F/3D/1G.

Forwards:
Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Gaudette, Virtanen, Ferland
Unprotected that has any value: Pearson (UFA)

Defense:
Myers, Juolevi, empty slot for Tanev or Stetcher or one of their replacements.
Unprotected that has any value: Edler (UFA)

so besides the goalie we leave unprotected the only guys who would not clear waivers the Canucks leave unprotected are Edler and Pearson. Both guys are UFAs and could walk within a week of being drafted by Seattle. You really think they will risk that? Vegas didn’t.

that leaves just some unproven prospects with any value. That basically being just Kole Lind.

We could leave Juolevi unprotected to protect both tanev and stetcher or both their replacements.

so let’s see, a future #1 goalie in Demko or a top 15 goalie in markstrom, or a UFA to be, or a b level prospect with no nhl experience in Juolevi or Lind. Not a hard choice if you even spent 2 seconds looking at Seattle’s options

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I actually meant in terms of what makes you think they will take our goalies.
lol you’re quoting a partial bit of the last sentence of my answer and asking the exact same question again. It was answered in the rest of the post you decided to quote. Maybe you should read that rather than asking the same question again

Reactions: Disappointed EP40
Feb 19, 2018
It really depends on Depietro’s development. Markstrom is a world class Goaltender at this point and probably would be the starter for Sweden at this point for any international play.
Demko looks like a stud and will develop well under our goaltending coach and Markstrom as a mentor.
I’d trade Demko as part of a package for a high end RHD to replace Tanev and keep Markstrom.
Draft another Goalie with a high draft pick and keep an eye on my initial statement.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad