Value of: Jacob Markstrom

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
The problem is Markstrom's 2020 UFA status and the 2021 expansion draft. Benning isn't going to trade Markstrom this season as the team is trying to make the playoffs and he's never been very astute at the deadline. So you either let Markstrom walk for nothing or you give him a multi-year contract/extension, but while it's possible you generally don't give a guy a big new contract and trade him that same year.

Basically these are the options:

1. trade Markstrom at the deadline, go with Demko - not likely, hard for Benning
2. lose Markstrom in free agency for nothing, go with Demko - bad result
3. Sign/Extend Markstrom and
a. trade Markstrom in 2020-21 - hard and unlikely
b. trade Demko in 2020-21 - easy, but will be hard to get good value
c. keep both and lose one in the expansion draft - bad result

Really the optimal way to maximize value would be to go with option 1 and take a trade like the Calgary poster suggested (stuff and conditional 1st), but you want to avoid option 2 and 3c so that leaves 3b the most flexible option and the path of least resistance.

Well, thought out
I don't disagree
To me it depends on

#1. How Demko does the first half of this season
#2. How the Canucks do the first half of the season
#3. What Seattle might want (pre-negotiation with Seattle)
#4. What Markstrom wants for a new contract
#5. What the offers are coming in to Benning for both goalies
#6. How Benning sees our cap space going forward
#7. How Markstrom does going forward
#8. If Benning needs cap

and a hell of other things...….

I think Markstrom gets signed for about 5.5 M per and they deal with this next TDL
Unless a huge offer comes in...…..

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
As others have mentioned happy to keep him for 5mil/yr until expansion and monitor Demko's growth.
Demko's despite doing okay for now still looks inexperienced; number 1 is definitely Marky's for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad