Player Discussion Jacob Markström | Pt. III

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I will bump this thread for today's Benning on Empty, called "The Succession Plan". Click to enlarge...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Amazing, as always!

It is a huge headscratcher as to why Markstrom hasn't become the starter yet. We're rebuilding and want to get younger and have nothing to lose. So dumb.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Any latest on his lower body injury? Is he on the bench tonight vs CBJ? Will he play any games next week? Thx

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Markstrom was fantastic today.

He's a clear NHL starting goalie, and probably deserves some more recognition for his play so far.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Markstrom was fantastic today.

He's a clear NHL starting goalie, and probably deserves some more recognition for his play so far.

It was the same last year. Our goalies have about the same save percentages as last year but reversed, so on average it's the same. A 0.912 save percentage by Markstrom last year was constantly attacked as being awful and that he clearly isn't an NHL goalie. It's not that bad of a save percentage by NHL standards, significantly ahead of Schneider and Price albeit in a poor year. Now combined with the D we have and it should really make people reassess how they've played.

With Tanev and Edler out Hutton is our de facto #1 D. Stetcher, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Biega, all of these are fringe D. Del Zotto has not been good for a while, I like Stetcher but he is not a top 4 guy wither. I love Hutton, but he is definitely not a top pairing guy right now. We have five 6/7D and a 4/5/6 guy in Hutton. Sure we're missing our top 2 but it highlights that we have no 2nd pairing and it's not like Tanev was healthy last year either.

Our goaltending this year has stolen us games and last year I think they played extremely well given their situation. Behind a team with some D depth I think you would see Markstrom and Nilsson putting up some very good numbers.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
His rebound control was non-existent last night. He HAS played better this year, at least so far, but that's because Nilsson was playing great and was threatening to take over the starter's job but now that he's injured watch Marky revert to his usual bad-goal-per-game form. One thing nobody mentions here is that we need a much better goalie than we have now as a starter and with Nilsson almost certainly gone after this season and Demko not turning into Luongo V.2 that leaves Marky. Not good enough...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad