Player Discussion Jacob Markström | Pt. III

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
To reiterate what The Poetic Goldobin said, there is absolutely no reason down this stretch of meaningless games to give Miller most starts. If anything they should really ride Markström hard (not to the point of risking further injury, obviously) to get him a lot of work.

He performs better with more work. It's not rocket science. And I'm not sure what Willie would be trying to prove by continuing to top-load his lineup (everywhere, not just in goal... like give Reid Boucher and Brendan Gaunce a boatload of icetime too)..

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Marky was the guest on a podcast (Swedish). Summary below:
- The trade shook him. The only time he has really doubted he'd become a starter in the NHL. Very thankful he was traded to the Canucks.
- Sedins are class, on and off the ice. Also mentions Edler.
- The organization believes in him, they have shown that both with words and actions he says.
- He is more professional than before, he wishes he trained as hard 7 years ago as he does now. Maybe it all came too easy for him as a young player he speculates.
- "Not good enough" was all he said about his 50 or so games over the last 2 season. He wants to do better. He also wants to play more hockey - so this injury update must have been surprising to him as well.
- He talked about the infamous Benning-move to waive him after half a game in camp because he was playing well. Thought it was crazy and admits he asked his agent to "get him out of there" when he first came to Utica. Now he loves it. The city, the fans and the hockey. Very thankful for what that year did for his career.

The rest of the podcast focused on his time with Brynäs or team Sweden.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Marky was the guest on a podcast (Swedish). Summary below:
- The trade shook him. The only time he has really doubted he'd become a starter in the NHL. Very thankful he was traded to the Canucks.
- Sedins are class, on and off the ice. Also mentions Edler.
- The organization believes in him, they have shown that both with words and actions he says.
- He is more professional than before, he wishes he trained as hard 7 years ago as he does now. Maybe it all came too easy for him as a young player he speculates.
- "Not good enough" was all he said about his 50 or so games over the last 2 season. He wants to do better. He also wants to play more hockey - so this injury update must have been surprising to him as well.
- He talked about the infamous Benning-move to waive him after half a game in camp because he was playing well. Thought it was crazy and admits he asked his agent to "get him out of there" when he first came to Utica. Now he loves it. The city, the fans and the hockey. Very thankful for what that year did for his career.

The rest of the podcast focused on his time with Brynäs or team Sweden.

Thank you. I hope things will work out. One thing about Benning is that he seems quite willing to talk things out with the player and his agent. Benning did end up rewarding him with a 3 year contract that starts next season.

tylerseguin

Jun 6, 2016
Italia
The org believes in him.. thats why the 36 year old soon to be ufa always played

Maybe they had the hope to trade Miller at the deadline and tried to make him more valuable.

Then, immediately after the deadline, Marky injured himself.

That's only a theory, maybe i'm wrong.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
You do realize that the coach may not make decisions based on what the "organization" wants right?

Yeah, I feel this is on Willie as well. I think Benning has been in his ear trying to get Marky more games. He wouldn't have signed that contract if he didn't believe in "his" guy. Don't forget that Benning did keep Marky over Eddie.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Markstrom's future is assured. He is a Canuck for at least three years, barring trades. Next season he is the presumed starter.

Desjardins seems to have believed he was chasing playoffs or bust. I think they reassured him at the deadline. I assume he will return. If Markstrom is his starter, I believe he will ride him. If he has another option he prefers, Markstrom will back up. Either way, Markstrom is with the club.

Benning can fix it, of course by letting Miller go. Markstrom becomes number one on the depth chart. Has Markstrom shown enough to be penciled in? It's iffy.

I think I would still keep Miller, if I were Benning. Fact: Canucks suck hard and this was known. Fix: Veteran goalie that doesn't get downcast. This has worked. The utter blackness that has attended season's end has been lightened considerably. Luongo was depressed and Eddie went crazy. Miller battles through.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I'd prefer this team looks at someone like Peter Budaj to see if he can try to recapture this seasons play in a platoon position with Markstrom. Especially if more rebuilding moved happen. (Sedin retirement/Edler trade)

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah, I feel this is on Willie as well. I think Benning has been in his ear trying to get Marky more games. He wouldn't have signed that contract if he didn't believe in "his" guy. Don't forget that Benning did keep Marky over Eddie.

Benning has a say on roster decisions, make no mistake about it.

If Marky was Benning's guy Miller would've been flipped by now or the coach would've been instructed to give a 41/41 split - it's more a 55/27 split right now.

For example when Gillis wanted to flip Hodgson for higher value he instructed AV to play him more with higher ozone starts at the cost of winning, AV obliged.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
You do realize that the coach may not make decisions based on what the "organization" wants right?

So the coach is ignoring upstairs because he feels like he knows best? that would probably fly if we were a winning team but this team is straight up garbage

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Just like Sutter, imagine the cap savings that this couldve had if Benning didnt jump the gun on an extension. Still a big Markstrom fan and hope he does great

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Of all the epic fails this season, the goaltending situation was the biggest.....Willie rides a 36-year old impending UFA, while the only guy who's signed beyond this season rides the pine and gets into only 23 games.

But not all on Willie....Jimbo mystifying everyone by declaring Miller the starter before the season even began....my guess is, the management group really believed that this aggregation was a playoff team...now how scary is that?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Give Markstrom the net next year. If he succeeds then great. If he fails then we get a top pick in a season where we weren't going to be competitive anyway.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
So it appears Marky's injury is of the lesser kind and he'd probably have made it back in time for a few reps if they made the decision earlier:

"BEST DID YOU HEAR IT?

Benning said Markstrom will be recovered in 2-3 weeks.

So if he had the surgery in late February, would he be playing by now?

Steve Mason had it in 2015 and was playing in a game 16 days later."

Per Botch, the latest Provies. Good thing that it's a minor injury (knees are scary for goalies), but yet another weird decision by the brass. Oh well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty obvious that Willie never really had any faith in him.....riding Miller, even when he was tired and overworked, is another reason why they'll be a new guy behind the bench next season.

For better or worse, the Canucks need to move on from Miller....to me, the miracle isn't that he played so well this season, it's that he didn't miss any time with injury like he did in the first two seasons....in fact I seem to remember that it was Eddie Lack who backstopped the Canucks into the playoffs in Willie's first year here because Miller went down.

They need to sign a veteran guy off the NHL free-agent scrap heap in the off season and throw the competition wide open in training camp.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Yeah, as Mathonwy demonstrates: Marky is probably the happiest Canuck around these days. Even if Miller is back, Travis will give him a fair shot to win the crease.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only way they're going to get the book on Markstrom is if they play him to death for the first 20 games or so......then if he's still letting in at least one bad goal a game, they'll know he's a backup, not a starter..

Under Willie, he'd play one good game and then sit for three more....it's too bad they didn't ride Markstrom like a rented mule once they were out of playoff contention....then they'd have had a better idea about what lies ahead this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad