Confirmed with Link: Jacob Larsson signs extension (2 years, $1.2M AAV)

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I have no idea what our defense is going to look like next season. Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Gudbranson, Djoos, Hakanpaa, Curran, Larsson, and Guhle are all waiver-eligible, so 1 or maybe 2 of them will have to be put on waivers. And then we still have Mahura and Benoit knocking on the door.

I am happy that Bob is getting these contracts done with quickly, though.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I have no idea what our defense is going to look like next season. Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Gudbranson, Djoos, Hakanpaa, Curran, Larsson, and Guhle are all waiver-eligible, so 1 or maybe 2 of them will have to be put on waivers. And then we still have Mahura and Benoit knocking on the door.
One of Guhle or Larsson will be traded probably. Though since it's the Ducks 2-3 will be on the shelf to start the season anyways

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Ducks will lose one of the non-big 3 in the expansion draft, it's good to have several guys around that same level so if you lose one, 2 more can fill his spot.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
According to CapFriendly, both Larsson and Guhle are waiver exempt.

I'm not sold on Larsson above the bottom pairing at the NHL level. I'm not sold on Guhle at all. But both recently turned 23 of age. It is clear both need more seasoning and we can afford to wait on them, provided the Djoos, Hankanpaa, and Curran start off the season at the NHL level. Josh Manson wasn't a regular until his age 24 season.

Why are we moving on from these defensive prospects knowing we still don't have known talented depth? While Thrun and LaCombe looked great in their respective seasons, that's still a jump away from the AHL, let alone the NHL. How close are Mahura and Benoit? There's a reason why Bob went out and traded for Djoos as well as signed Curran along with signing FA Hakanpaa last year to make the jump across the pond.

Last season should have given all us a big splash of water on our expectations from our defensive youths at the AHL and NHL levels. We don't have a sure thing on defense on the pro side. Having all our prospects in the AHL is a good thing because if they can't dominate there, then it'll be less likely they'll dominate at the NHL level.

Nice to secure both Larsson and Guhle for the next two seasons.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
According to CapFriendly, both Larsson and Guhle are waiver exempt.

I'm not sold on Larsson above the bottom pairing at the NHL level. I'm not sold on Guhle at all. But both recently turned 23 of age. It is clear both need more seasoning and we can afford to wait on them, provided the Djoos, Hankanpaa, and Curran start off the season at the NHL level. Josh Manson wasn't a regular until his age 24 season.

Why are we moving on from these defensive prospects knowing we still don't have known talented depth? While Thrun and LaCombe looked great in their respective seasons, that's still a jump away from the AHL, let alone the NHL. How close are Mahura and Benoit? There's a reason why Bob went out and traded for Djoos as well as signed Curran along with signing FA Hakanpaa last year to make the jump across the pond.

Last season should have given all us a big splash of water on our expectations from our defensive youths at the AHL and NHL levels. We don't have a sure thing on defense on the pro side. Having all our prospects in the AHL is a good thing because if they can't dominate there, then it'll be less likely they'll dominate at the NHL level.

Nice to secure both Larsson and Guhle for the next two seasons.

Are you sure that wasn't for this current season? Could have swore both Guhle and Larsson would need to clear if sent down this fall.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Are you sure that wasn't for this current season? Could have swore both Guhle and Larsson would need to clear if sent down this fall.

I am not sure, but that's why I cited CapFriendly. If you can find a different source that says differently, then cool. Though I doubt people will bang down our doors for Guhle. Larsson... possible. heh

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Larsson is decent at everything and good at nothing and showed a little bit of toughness at the end of the year

Guhle is good at nothing other than a flash every 5-8 games

Reactions: Getz2noone

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
They both need waivers starting next season. This season was the last waiver exempt year for both players, they have now completed the max amount of pro seasons before needing waivers.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I am not sure, but that's why I cited CapFriendly. If you can find a different source that says differently, then cool. Though I doubt people will bang down our doors for Guhle. Larsson... possible. heh

I checked this a couple of months ago on capfriendly and at first glance thought they were both exempt but it turns out the info was poorly presented and if you read closely they’re not actually exempt starting next season.

As for the signing, Larsson made some good strides the last month or two of the season and was a part of why we were able to do ok with no Fowler or Lindholm. That said before then he was awful and he’s realistically still a fringe NHLer who has a long way to go to secure a spot. One (maybe even both) of him and Guhle could be lost on waivers next season (if anyone even bothers to put a claim in).

I really like Larsson so am rooting for him to prove me wrong. This contract isn’t too bad, only a slight overpayment.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

I am happy that Bob is getting these contracts done with quickly, though.

They both need waivers starting next season. This season was the last waiver exempt year for both players, they have now completed the max amount of pro seasons before needing waivers.

I think waivers is part of the reason Bob gives term and sometimes overpays depth guys a bit (Holzer's two year deal being a perfect example). A team is less likely to grab a player if they have another year to pay, though in the case of Larsson, and Guhle, that might not apply.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
A player needs to be under contract, or at least have a qualifying offer made, at the time of the expansion draft in order for the player to be eligible for the expansion draft. Thus a two year contract signed now for the next two seasons means that the player can be exposed in the expansion draft. If Larsson (or any other player) had signed only a one year contract then they would have to be resigned or at least have a qualifying offer made to expose them to Seattle in the draft.

Additionally, Larsson would have arbitration rights next year if he had been signed to a one year contract. We all know how much Bob loves arbitrations. A two year contract protects the Ducks from an arbitration for 2021-22. By the end of that season Larsson will either be worth extending or will not be offered an additional contract by the Ducks.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
would not be surprised to see some of our depth moved at the draft. i could see us trying to move up in the first round with our second pick plus a prospect.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
As always - just in the midst of a training camp is a time when to sneak some players to the AHL. Happens every year, fans get pissed off because the team is exposing young players, but in reality barely ever they get picked because teams have stacked rosters and rarely have a place for an additional contract or immediate playing spot on their roster.
So we might send Curry and Guhle to the Gulls if no trades or injuries happen. Then, when the situation inevitably changes, we will have to call someone up - but then without an option to send that player down easily. We might lose some to the waivers, who knows.

Would like to see how Larsson performs this upcoming season. I remember watching him post-draft in the SHL and his defensive ability was something that sticked out to me (as well as playing L and R side with ease). In the last years, he has been sometimes questionable defensively but I wonder if the injuries had something to do with it.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
As always - just in the midst of a training camp is a time when to sneak some players to the AHL. Happens every year, fans get pissed off because the team is exposing young players, but in reality barely ever they get picked because teams have stacked rosters and rarely have a place for an additional contract or immediate playing spot on their roster.
So we might send Curry and Guhle to the Gulls if no trades or injuries happen. Then, when the situation inevitably changes, we will have to call someone up - but then without an option to send that player down easily. We might lose some to the waivers, who knows.

Would like to see how Larsson performs this upcoming season. I remember watching him post-draft in the SHL and his defensive ability was something that sticked out to me (as well as playing L and R side with ease). In the last years, he has been sometimes questionable defensively but I wonder if the injuries had something to do with it.

Larsson has had many prospect and training camps where he stood out over his peers and he is a strong top 4 in the AHL, but he will likely never even be a top pairing player even in the AHL. I think he needs to add that extra gear in speed/processing and strength to at least be a high end bottom pair guy in the NHL. He's capable of being a player who gets 5G/15A and plays well defensively. He might be a guy who becomes a late bloomer around his mid 20s. Watching his off-season training on some Swedish video he still appears too weak so he might need a few more years to get the man-strength to be effective at the NHL. He and Guhle tried to play nastier this season but both are just too weak.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
A bit overpaid for a bottom pair guy who doesn't do much but maybe because of the expansion draft rules they need to have a Dman exposed who meets games played and certain salary contract requirement ?
At least with Milano he's gonna be used as a top 9 forward & showed the Ducks he has an ability to create offense while Larsson will be strictly a bottom pair guy who brings no offense.

If i am Seattle i'd be looking at Henrique, Djoos, Mahura and Larsson as possibly choices in the expansion draft. I'd pass on Guhle who's only skill is skating fast around in circles.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Meh signing. Always thought back then that Larsson could/would be developed into a Lindholm. But it didn’t turn out that way

personally wouldn’t mind moving on from him. We have a lot of bottom Dman

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016

He’s gotten a little bit physical/ nasty with his game too, he isn’t shying Away from the rough stuff

Section411

Jun 25, 2015
Meridian, Idaho
Larsson most likely will not develop into a top pairing, 30-40 point d-man. The development just doesnt seem to be there, and he never really was projected to be that. However, if he could develop into a solid second pair, two way defensemen, with a emphasis on defense, i think the Ducks would be happy with that. I know i would. Similar to Niklas Hjalmarsson.

Reactions: duckpuck

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Larsson most likely will not develop into a top pairing, 30-40 point d-man. The development just doesnt seem to be there, and he never really was projected to be that. However, if he could develop into a solid second pair, two way defensemen, with a emphasis on defense, i think the Ducks would be happy with that. I know i would. Similar to Niklas Hjalmarsson.
Honestly i think we’ll be lucky if he can manage to be a decent enough bottom pairing defenseman for us. Not a lot of hope in him at this point personally.

Reactions: Dmang714

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad